Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being present for County Council vote - Who to inform?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    You may be able to help me...
    There's an upcoming vote with the Galway County Council that I wish to be present for. I've been told that any member of the public can be present but it's advisable (mandatory?) that you inform the council that you intend to be present.

Any idea how to go about this? Or who to inform?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Have you tried phoning County Buildings on 509000 and asking the switchboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

snubbleste wrote: »
    Have you tried phoning County Buildings on 509000 and asking the switchboard?

Sure that would be the smart thing to do - What do you take me for? :pac:

I tried typing that number into my Internet Explorer address bar but I couldn't make a booking - help plzzzz!!!1111!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Have you tried looking up your own arse?

You seem to be familiar with it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

John, google found it in a sec
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/AllServices/YourCouncil/CouncilMeetings/
    Council Meetings

The City Council Monthly Meetings take place in City Hall at 4.00 pm on the second Monday of every month.

There are no meetings in the month of August.

Members of the public are entitled to attend City Council meetings but in order to regulate attendance and due to limited seating capacity you should book your place.

To book your place to attend a City Council Meeting you should telephone 091 536407.

Des reported for abuse

Sweet, thanks biko

Des - Tried looking up my own arse, wasn't flexible enough :(

-EDIT- I've just spotted that that's CITY council, i'm looking for County Council. I've googled and best I could come up with is minutes from previous meetings. But i've concluded that the County meetings are held on the 4th Monday of each month. Now all I need to find is a contact number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Sweet, thanks biko

Des - Tried looking up my own arse, wasn't flexible enough :(

-EDIT- I've just spotted that that's CITY council, i'm looking for County Council. I've googled and best I could come up with is minutes from previous meetings. But i've concluded that the County meetings are held on the 4th Monday of each month. Now all I need to find is a contact number

Try reposting in Galway COUNTY forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oops, sorry. I guess you'll just have to ring or go up to the buildings.
    Or mail

County Secretary,
    Galway County Council,
    Prospect Hill,
    Galway.
    Phone: (091) 509000;
    Fax: (091) 509010
    Email: secretar@galwaycoco.ie

Try reposting in Galway COUNTY forum?

yeh but all the cool kids only view the CITY forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Care to spread word of what the issue of concern is, if it's suitable for public constipation...?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

po0k wrote: »
    Care to spread word of what the issue of concern is, if it's suitable for public constipation...?

+1. Flashmob at a council meeting :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

yeh but all the cool kids only view the CITY forum ;)
    It's true ;_;

So who will you be taking hostage at this meeting?

http://www.iwai.ie/download/BeachByeLawsEnglish.doc

60 of us formed recently to create the "Galway Powerboat & Watersports Club" to act as a voice for powerboat users in Galway. We aim to promote the safe and responsible use of powerboats in Galway. We want to be able to enjoy ourselves without sacrificing the enjoyment of other water users. We realise there is a minority of Powerboat/Jetski users out there giving the majority a bad name (Comparable with 'boy racers' to 'car lovers'). Our aim is to try and promote mandatory registration of vessels, mandatory insurance and to promote powerboat training for all users of watercraft.

We are campaigning for these proposed bye-laws to be abolished. These bye-laws affect not only powerboat users of Galway, but infact a LOT of people. If these bye-laws get the go-ahead then you won't even be able to walk your dog on Galway beaches :eek:

Have a read of the bye-laws. If you disagree with them, I strongly suggest you contact some County Councillors ASAP. Contact info here: http://www.galway.ie/en/AboutYourCouncil/MeettheCouncillors/

The submission deadline was May 30th, so too late to put in a submission, but you can still contact concillors and talk/meet with them. We were shocked that the majority of councillors were NOT aware of these bye-laws when we approached them. Infact, one of the Councillors who is a member of the SPC (The committee that signed these bye-laws off) didn't even know much about them (He was shocked when we told him that he wouldn't be able to walk his greyhounds on the beach if the bye-laws were to go ahead)

Basicly, these bye-laws were created because of a tiny few nannies who want things 'their way'. What the Councillors don't realise is that while a few people will feel satisfied, there will be hundreds, if not thousands that will be affected by these bye-laws in a negative way.

The vote for this bye-law is on Monday 23rd June - I would like to be present at the time of vote... anyone with me? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Watersports
    *snigger*

Sherifu wrote: »
    *snigger*

There's always one :rolleyes:

Fag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Who are these nannies?
    I find it incredible that the councillor who signed off on the bye-law submission didn't actually read them.

Is this the level of incompetence in local government?
    No wonder the world is fncked.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

John
    Check out this link.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=12489

They tried to introduce similar byelaws in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown recently that would have banned fishing from most of the shoreline in the area. Most councillors were unaware of this and it was being driven by some staff member who swims at the Forty Foot and doesn't like anglers.
    Needless to say the anglers objected to this, but the byelaws were still almost introduced. Its gone back for more consultation now, but only because of an intense lobby by angling groups.

po0k wrote: »
    Who are these nannies?
    I find it incredible that the councillor who signed off on the bye-law submission didn't actually read them.

Is this the level of incompetence in local government?
    No wonder the world is fncked.

Please understand that i'm not going to mention their name in a public form, PM me if you want the name

Zzippy wrote: »
    John
    Check out this link.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?t=12489

They tried to introduce similar byelaws in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown recently that would have banned fishing from most of the shoreline in the area. Most councillors were unaware of this and it was being driven by some staff member who swims at the Forty Foot and doesn't like anglers.
    Needless to say the anglers objected to this, but the byelaws were still almost introduced. Its gone back for more consultation now, but only because of an intense lobby by angling groups.

Zzippy, here lies the problem. These bye-laws are being introducted because as little as ONE single person is complaining. Some grumpy oul f00k with nothing better to be doing but complaining. Then the council decide to introduce bye-laws because they think that everyone will agree, not realising that it will effect a LOT of people in negative ways

Thanks for the link

Advertisement