Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish2 - How'd it go

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Riverperson

Agh, finally HL Irish is done and dusted.

Well I thought the paper was great seeing as I was completely freaking last night, stayed up practiacally all night trying to cram Irish into my brain.

Felt I did a good first half to the paper but towards the end I totally lost my etheusiam and couldn't be bother thinking up any new phrases or words.

But I definately soared past my C3 minimum..:D

*Sigh* No more Irish..I think I'm gonna cry with happiness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

crap i didn't notice that it said leargas greannmhar for the lig sin i gcathu question about the characters,will i lose many marks?:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Very predictable paper. Everything that everyone thot was coming up came up. Pissed off about Aisling coming up witha load of random crap id never seen before in Stair, and it was pretty much all i knew! So, lost about 8 marks there.

I finished with 50 minutes left and i couldnt have been bothered to check over it. I sketched the **** out of there and home. I got a B2 in the mocks, and that was with a pretty ****e oral and a slightly sub par paper 2, so i will hopefully bring that up to an A2/B1. I really needed that after ****ing Maths up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Prós - Didn't answer the Lig Sinn i gCathú question. Wrote half a page for Clare sa Spéir. Reeealy should prepared for this.

Ordinary Poems - Wrote about 2 pages of crap between the 2 poems.

Higher Poems - Did Oíche Nollag na mBan. Wrote 4 pages full of insight and horrible Irish.

Stair - I made up stuff about two of the poets and lashed down some delightfully incoherant points about Rúraíocht.

An Triail - Didn't understand either question and it was oh so sunny outside so didn't attempt it.

Hopefully I got an E. I don't think my paper 1 and oral will save me if I got any lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

Hard to call. I think I did ok-ish but I guess we'll see come August :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 MrsSDelonge

Lig sin i bloody gcathú..i ...HATE it:mad: I could NEVER write anything on it! dammit!..ah well:p

The rest of the paper was ok-ish...Aw I feel so sorry for those doing Business:(

LOOOOOOVED that Oiche Nollaig na mBan came up and Maidhc Dainín i Sasana!!!!:D

Still...I'll probably just barely pass it!!!!!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

so annoyed about the Aisling Pholatiúil, didn't know any of those other options
    MattD wrote: »
    Pissed off about Aisling coming up witha load of random crap id never seen before in Stair

I know! I had a definite 15 marker prepared for it.. And it was the one I knew the best
    Higher Poems - Did Oíche Nollag na mBan. Wrote 4 pages full of insight and horrible Irish.

Stair - I made up stuff about two of the poets and lashed down some delightfully incoherant points about Rúraíocht.

An Triail - Didn't understand either question and it was oh so sunny outside so didn't attempt it.

:D I love how you put it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I hope whoever's correcting my paper has a sense of humour because my answer on Lig Sin i gCathú was a ****in JOKE! I hadn't so much as looked at the story since the start of fourth year. I scrawled down the first thoughts to come into my head in the last five minutes of the exam. Ah well. at least there's only 15 marks going for it which is only 2.5% of the overall Irish result.
    Fiche Blian ag Fás was grand, despite a bitta incoherent waffle. Thank you boards.ie for predicting it.

The only option in the Stair section I was prepared for was an Rúraíocht, but I also threw down 3 bullet points on Caitlin Maude based on what I remember of this documentary I watched about her life a while back. Hopefully that'll do em grand. We didn't even cover the poets in class.

An Triail wasn't a bother. Thank you, hypocrisy of nuns in the 1960's.

Dán do Mhelissa and Gealt - flew through those without a bother. Thanks again to boards. I was sketchy on Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa and my answer was rushed because I was running out of time, but at least I handled it.

Lads when you think about it the second paper is only 30% of the overall Irish exam so provided you have a good foundation under you what with the oral, paper 1 and the aural collectively, you should be well on your way to passing irish even if your performance wasn't great today.

I calculated the percentage marks going for the different sections in relation to the overall Irish exam 'cause I'm sad like that so if you want to measure how well you think you did on some of the poemy-woemys checkit:

Prós ainmnithe a (Clare sa Spéir/ Lá Buí/ Fiche Blian ag Fás) - 4.2% of overall Irish exam
    Prós ainmnithe b (Lig Sinn i gCathú) - 2.5%
    Prótheacs Breise (An Triail/ A Thig ná Thit Orm/ Gearrscéaltaí/ Urséalta) - 6.6%
    Filíocht ainmnithe a (Bimse Buan/ Gealt) - 3.3%
    Filíocht ainmnithe b (Faoiseam a Gheobhadsa) - 2.5%
    Dánta Dualgais Breise (Dán do Mhelissa/ Oiche Nollaig) - 5.8%

No more Gaeilge, woohoo! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I did the Ordinary paper and since i only dropped like two weeks a go it was so easy. all that was on it was a bit on Clare Sa Spéir, An Bhean Óg, Mo Ghille Mear and Faoiseamh. I studied for like half an hour last night and about half an hour this morning and flew through the exam. I think i wrote too much, but basically all my answers were honours standard, except for faoiseamh, thats cos i haven't even looked at that poem in the last year. probably still got 80% on that tho.
    I'm pretty happy with myself. If I had stayed in honours i would have spent all week studying and would have messed up maths and probably only would have got a C2/C3. I'd say I Got an A1 in ordinary. french now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 xxniamhxx

really happy with the paper (Higher) other then lig sinn i gcathu i thought everything else was grand... rurariocht came up on the stair... was so happy the only one i knew.. and a bit of tionchar na dteangacha iasachta ar an nGaeilge...
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 amaya4

Um.....How much did you all write for Stair na Gaeilge??? Is 3 sentences on each enough. And by sentences, i mean, bout this lenth..!

Plus...an Oiche Nollaig, the 9 mark question, i misunderstood/misread meon thinking it was mian and wrote all bout what he wanted, not what was his temperment/nature...uh oh..do u think ill get 0 for it????! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

amaya4 wrote: »
    Plus...an Oiche Nollaig, the 9 mark question, i misunderstood/misread meon thinking it was mian and wrote all bout what he wanted, not what was his temperment/nature...uh oh..do u think ill get 0 for it????! :(

Meon could be taken to mean his mentality, so I'm sure you'd earn marks by writing about what he wants. It's 1.5% of your total grade though so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I wrote quite a lot of waffle in that test, but the Irish was good, so who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Daveref

the higher level an triail qs were bit tricky but it only 40 marks haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

OL

Faoiseamh a Gheobhadsa....*shudder*

Look on the bright side...most of us will never have to do Irish again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr. Blah

Irish went TERRIBLE! Got 48 in my pre and this time.... *gulp*
    But in my pre I got 21/150 for oral cause I didn't speak irish so I definitely did better than that this time :P I was panincing that I've failed but added up results (harshly) and got around 41% :o So I better get a pass - not counting it but I NEED to get into college xD

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ino112

Was very happy with the paper. It sort of gets a little depressing when you realize how little the questions add (even collectively consdiering the length of the course) to your final grade. Oh well..

Loved the An Triail question, as I did with the potry was well. Clare question was a bit of a '........' for me but how-and-ever..

Messed up a tiny bit on the Rúraíocht (gave wrong example) but other than that! ^^

W00p :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mebabyme

fantastic paper, everythin i had learned came up!!

did HL hoping for the A :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 karkar

I couldn't bring myself to write about faoiseamh a gheabhadsa so I didn't... 5% down the drain but oh well.
    Otherwise it was alright, considering we never actually read any of the poetry/prose in class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

:eek: sheeeeeeeeeeet! just realised, i never wote the names of the poets on any of my poems.... wudja say ill lose out on much for that??:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mozzirozi

oh god!!..paper 2 (higher)..bit of a diseaster for me! The crammin the nite before didnt work! ha i lost all hope and gave up after an hour...watched the match instead..good match tho!!

lig sin - couldnt remember the name of main character..used "fear" instead!!:)

an triail - disgusting question:mad:..wrote a page and a half of crap!!

poems - easy enough..thank ****!!

stair - studied ruraiochta 10 mins before the exam..delighted!!

After an ok day yesterday with paper 1....nice 3 page essay and well attempted answers to the comprehension followed by a revolting aural i might of grabbed a C!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Katerrrs

Do you actually have to write the names of the poets down? Where, before your answer like? Did not know you had to do that, oh **** :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

Katerrrs wrote: »
    Do you actually have to write the names of the poets down? Where, before your answer like? Did not know you had to do that, oh **** :eek:

im not sure, but i was just thinkin bout it, in my mocks i did anyway, like " "an maithir" le caitlin maude " r watever...i duno do ya lose marks though, i defo cant afford to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Well I did the cursa roghnach & obviously you have to write the title & author for these & are awarded a mark each for doing so, but I didn't think it was necessary to do this for the named pieces, as like is it not obvious to everyone what the name of it is & who wrote it!!

In saying that, more by chance than anything, I mentioned Sean O Riordain in my Oiche Nollaig na mBan answer, so hopefully that's me covered either way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭keefs08

Disaster and a half!!I left at 10.30 that wasnt too bad seen as all the lads left at 10:p seemingly its only worth 18% so if it went bad uve still got a chance at passing!at this stage thats all im hoping for im normanly grand at OL irish but i learned all the wrong stuff apart from an bhean og just waffled on about that and a little bit of jack.... awell :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 x-katz-x

Did OL nd i was out of there by 10.40! Did bout a page on clare sa speir overall, a half a page on fiche blian ag fas nd i waffled completely in both the q on jack nd q.b! I got lots of extra time to study business tho so im happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tomo84

Flyer1 wrote: »
    How'd it go for everyone ?

I thought the OL paper was fair, rushed a bit through it but it's all in the good spirit of nailing an A at HL business :)

HL irish...disaster.(for me anyway) hadnt a notion bout lig sin i gcathu..someone told me it was safe to leave it out..never rely on boards for predictions(dey can be gud sumtimes but not always)..an trial!?..ugh da second questions was loada sh*te..poetry..not too difficult..stair..gud oul ruraiocht!..mite hav gotten a D2!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I was out by 10.40 and had a nice sit down outside. Unfortunately like the Irish lass that I am I have A LOT of sunburn! Even on my hands lol! Writing in business was owie so say the least../

Advertisement