Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Cast...

Options
  • 10-06-2008 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hiya

Hoping this is the right forum?? Sorry mods if i've got it wrong!!

Is anyone able to tell me where I can get one of those vacuum seal things that you put over a cast for showering (in Dublin)? The nurse did tell me last week but i've lost the piece of paper she gave me!!

About ready to rip this cast off! Half a week down, 5 and a half to go :(

Cheers!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i got one in Murray's Medical on Talbot St called the 'xerosox'. Some Chemists do them (& other brands) and i reckon some can be ordered online too, but not sure what the company/ies called

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Somebody else the same as me :D 1 week and 2 days down, 5 to go, It is driving me crazy i need a decent shower :o

Can't manage the crutches due to old arm injury, flying round the house in a borrowed wheelchair unfortunaly an attended one but beggers can't be choosers

Thanks Cmol for the name

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Can you source/ hire a self propelling one through IWA?

They are expensive €50 per week for 6/7 weeks. you could buy one in argos for that money. I will suffer in silence with my attended one and the kids love pushing me about :D thank god I live in a newish bungalow that was built to disabled spec, plenty of swinging room, though the skirting and architrave are getting a bit of a hammering :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

What did ya break? Is it a long or short cast? If it's a short arm cast, a long thin bin bag might work, that's what I used last year but I think it really needed to be kept up. If it's a leg cast then I guess you'd need the proper cast cover, tho they're quite expensive for the time you'll use it!

There's another medical/orthopaedic place at the junction of Camden and Aungier Streets, failing that - try ebay, should only take about 6 weeks for delivery ;-p

Best of luck with the healing guys ;)

PS, you might get more responses in after hours.

It is what it's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

Hey all, sorry should have come back and posted earlier! Got one from Murrays medical on talbot street - flippin expensive for a months use (€35) but saves a massive amount of time trying to get ready for a shower and peace of mind that im not gunna get a out with a plastic bag full of water!
    Broken foot btw, half leg cast
    Come to think of it, i get the cast off on friday so if anyones looking for one of these after this send me a pm!!

You're getting the cast off this week? Time flies - doesn't seem long since you posted the question.

Twas but a small price to pay to avoid being stinky for the month though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Oh man I still remember the smell of my arm cast last year! Actually looking back, maybe the cast cover would have been worth it just for that very reason!

Maybe try putting the cover, crutches and cast shoe if ya got one on ebay or adverts.ie, monetise your misfortune!? :)

It is what it's.

I have two weeks to go (Big Thank You the the Plaster room in the MWRH) they got the broken bit back into place so no pins or screws needed

Half leg cast, Never got the shower cover but a MrBinman recycle bag does the trick with my bad leg hanging out the shower door and me sitting on a little stool, (not a pretty sight but effective) :o

Looking forward to getting back to normal without having to be ferryed around and burning the dinner because I cannot move quick enough.:eek:

oneweb wrote: »
    Maybe try putting the cover, crutches and cast shoe if ya got one on ebay or adverts.ie, monetise your misfortune!? :)

Gross! Imagine trying to sell a manky old cast lol, all the dead skin flakes!

Wouldn't think there'd be much of a market for used cast covers tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

You're getting the cast off this week? Time flies - doesn't seem long since you posted the question.

I know! Time does fly - off this morning :D Xrays all clear, physio was happy with my foot, just minimal weakness
    Gross! Imagine trying to sell a manky old cast lol, all the dead skin flakes!

Wouldn't think there'd be much of a market for used cast covers tbh

hahah ewwwww used cast!!! Maybe not the cast cover but the crutches maybe, i thought id be off them this morning but apparently i need to keep using them for a few weeks :(

Got my cast removed yesterday, Foot and leg a bit like jelly, and sore but up and about on two feet, Physio wants me off the crutch in a week to which I have no problem, will just use it if I am going out for an extended period of time.

Thanks to this forum I had some other people experiencing the same condition.

Good Luck :D

This thread is becoming like a bone fracture support group! :D

Advertisement