Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Personised' number plates.

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

What is your thoughts on these? Eg 08 xx 159 (alfa 159), 08 xx 44 (audi a4).
    Do they increase the value or resale potential of a car at all, or are they considered to be too flash etc?
    Given the choice, would you have it on your car, if it was a suitable model?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If you are lucky enough to be issued with them or have some connections in the DOE. Unfortunately custom plates are rare in Ireland due to the registration system we have here. You cannot buy personal transferable plates off the shelves in this country like the UK of which it is a big business over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I find them quite tacky. Given that they can't be removed from the car, my feeling is that they if anything decrease the resale value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

you can pre book a number - but its costs about 300 yoyo and you'll never get that back.

I'd stick with the normal - more people will think its tacky than cool I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Anan1 wrote: »
    I find them quite tacky. Given that they can't be removed from the car, my feeling is that they if anything decrease the resale value.

Point made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you are looking for No.1 on your reg for a county that doesn't allocate them to their major, then you've little hope

JJ Kavanagh buses from Kilkenny has this sown up. I'm not sure how they do it, must have a contact in government offices. For sure they get No. 1 for Tipperary North and Carlow every single year. A few other counties too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I hate numbers made to look like letters. A 4 is not an "A". A 7 is not a "T". I don't mind where the number is the car though, like 407 or 159. Although I do laugh at 316 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm amazed the government don't milk this personalised number plate thing considering the revenue they could earn from the Irish motorist who often sees the number plate as being more important than the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

seen a few cars with say 335 on a 07 335i beemer, 06-d-607 etc...

quite cool for about 15 seconds....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

What is your thoughts on these? Eg 08 xx 159 (alfa 159), 08 xx 44 (audi a4).
    Do they increase the value or resale potential of a car at all, or are they considered to be too flash etc?
    Given the choice, would you have it on your car, if it was a suitable model?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I'd say they increase the saleability, but not the value

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

I saw an Audi R8 on Sunday. The reg was 08 D 8. I thought it was a bit tacky tbh.

• Advertisement

Par72 wrote: »
    I saw an Audi R8 on Sunday. The reg was 08 D 8. I thought it was a bit tacky tbh.
    Look at me. I need to be looked at.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

oooh personalised regs... brilliant..

when I was a kid I thought they were actually the coolest things on earth. There was a then brand new Z3 going around with the reg: 97 d 23. 007 - not sure about the year, maybe 96 - but anyway, I remember the way they had spaced out the numbers and added a dot before the 007 - thought it was deaddddddddddly. But then I turned 19 one day...

you do see an awful lot of porsches about with 911...

and then you often see a lot about with 9XX and I always wonder had they *tried* to get 911 but missed out?!?

Funniest has to be the huge amounts of Porsches driving around Dublin with a KY,WX,W,WW,TS,C plate - anything for that beloved 911 no..!

geoff29 wrote: »

and then you often see a lot about with 9XX and I always wonder had they *tried* to get 911 but missed out?!?

Funniest has to be the huge amounts of Porsches driving around Dublin with a KY,WX,W,WW,TS,C plate - anything for that beloved 911 no..!
    This is very true!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Anan1 wrote: »
    Look at me. I need to be looked at.:)

id think some in an r8 would get looked at anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

geoff29 wrote: »

I'd say the Junior Salesman in Belgard Porsche centre has a great job on the 1st November (or whatever date you can first pre-book reg's) trying to hold anything with 911 in the plate. They can then sell it with the car and probably stick a bit extra on the cost.

BMW do that a lot as well so I'd say a similar office Junior in Duffy's has to try to get 316, 318, 320, 520 etc.....

Stupidest one I ever heard of was last year. Had a Q7 on order for a driver who had reserved a plate, turns out the seemingly meaningless number he chose was the same as the 2004 reg he had! Despite being fairly senior in a Major bank he was obviously too thick to remember a new reg number so paid €315 (I think) to have the same last 5 digits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭sk8board

Biro wrote: »
    Although I do laugh at 316 though!

was searching this thread to see if anyone had mentioned 316.

Nothing says 'look at me, I bought the cheapest, smallest engine bmw possible' like 08 D 316.

I agree, they look tacky in general. I've seen 08 D 93 on a 93 convertible, or 08 D 12345 that didn't seem too posey, but other than that I avoid them like the plague when buying 2nd hand. As soon as I see it, I flick to the next ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I'm just going to change my name to 00D102***

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Tacky in the extreme (and maybe a bit sad).

When i was a wee lad I thought the British system was deadly but like someone said I grew up. You still see ads in the British press with some 3rd rate celeb promoting 'VINIE 258' or whatever...

I was considering an Alfa 159 once and saw one in my ideal spec. The 'xx xx 159' no was enough to make it a complete no-no though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭sk8board

pburns wrote: »
    Tacky in the extreme (and maybe a bit sad).

When i was a wee lad I thought the British system was deadly but like someone said I grew up. You still see ads in the British press with some 3rd rate celeb promoting 'VINIE 258' or whatever...

I was considering an Alfa 159 once and saw one in my ideal spec. The 'xx xx 159' no was enough to make it a complete no-no though...

Had same experience witha de-badged bmw 520 m-tec, that was 520 reg!
    Why de-badge it, and then broadcast that its the smallest one!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

jesus lads, the littlest things bother ye, wouldnt spend the 300 odd euro myself but it wouldnt put me off a car at all

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    jesus lads, the littlest things bother ye, wouldnt spend the 300 odd euro myself but it wouldnt put me off a car at all
    You might revise that opinion when the time came to sell.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

sk8board wrote: »
    was searching this thread to see if anyone had mentioned 316.

Nothing says 'look at me, I bought the cheapest, smallest engine bmw possible' like 08 D 316.

I agree, they look tacky in general. I've seen 08 D 93 on a 93 convertible, or 08 D 12345 that didn't seem too posey, but other than that I avoid them like the plague when buying 2nd hand. As soon as I see it, I flick to the next ad.

They're paying €300 to announce that my car is better than theirs!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'd kinda agree with Cyrus, there are far tackier things out there that would put me off a car - a number plate would be waaay down the list! If anything, it would be certain letter(s) in the middle of the reg (the county) that would put me off more.

I have seen some guys who've imported cars from the UK paying to get a lower number, which seems like a reasonable idea to me, e.g. rather than ending up with a huge D reg, making the car look even more obviously an import, pay the 300 euro odd to get one of the unused lower numbers for that year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Wouldn't be bothered about them.

The best one I ever saw was a black Mk 1 Renault Clio 16v with 93 Cl10.

Last seen near Trim a few years back, wonder what ever happened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

^^^ Saw it at Mosney on Sunday with a crap paint job - A Flip tone fern green of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

As for number plates, I think having the same number as the model of car is a bit naff as are all numbers below 100.

However on a more expensive car a number with some symmetry looks better than a totally random number. But thats me - each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

TomMc wrote: »
    ^^^ Saw it at Mosney on Sunday with a crap paint job - A Flip tone fern green of sorts.

Shame that was a nice car in its day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭cancan

No point having an easy number to remember when the neighbours ring the guards complaining you.

I'll take 97 WD 12439071231 please....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

One of the lads just registered his '96 car today. He was goingto go for 96-c-69 until the ribbing he got about the connotations of 69!

Went for something else instead. A memorable number for the cops to jot down when he speeds past! :D The higher numbers on import cars screm import IMO.

TBH I would find italic script number platess more tacky than the number itself. I like the 911 on the number plate of the 911. Oh and some of those that you think have "missed" 911 & got 963, 993, 997 etc. are actually using the name assigned by Porsche, not all "911- looking" Porsches are 911s.

Not sure I would pay any more or less for a car with this type of plate.

As mentioned above it woudl bother me more to have a KY or CN plate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

If I was rolling in it I would deffo get one of these plates.

I dunno why, but I think they're pretty cool, I guess it adds a bit to the experance of getting a brand new quality car.

I wouldn't do it on a normal car though, would have to be something a bit special.

Advertisement