Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

'Personised' number plates.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

there was an english m3 08 around talla about a month or 2 ago saw it twice, lovely the reg had 'm3 lad' just looked really good

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

As mentioned above it would bother me more to have a KY ... plate!
    It would look slippy, though. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭sk8board

in the dotcom days there was a new Beetle near our old office in town with the reg 01D10101.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭geoff29

I like the 911 on the number plate of the 911. Oh and some of those that you think have "missed" 911 & got 963, 993, 997 etc. are actually using the name assigned by Porsche, not all "911- looking" Porsches are 911s.

would ya go on im hardly going to be on this forum without knowing that :D

a 911 could have "08 COMPENSATING BIG TIME" as the reg and id still drive it though..

agree with others that the regs, things like Volvo, 08 C 70, or Saab 08 D 93 etc arent exactly a put off.

Though I did see some car - it might have been a Range Rover Sport or an Aston with D 4 as the reg.. would anyone have been sooooo vulgar?

as another poster said, some guy was insisting on having the same random numbers every time? I quite like that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

sk8board wrote: »
    in the dotcom days there was a new Beetle near our old office in town with the reg 01D10101.

theres an audi s3 with a similar reg thought it was cool :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

You can book new registrations for a fee of around 300eu,im told it two or more people want the same number theres a sort of a lottery for it.The reason the bus companies have low regs is that some counties start their new registrations for each year at 200.The numbers below that are reserved to be sold.The bus companies block book the regitrations in november then.
    If you import say a 01 car,and you want a number under 200,and if it hasnt been allocated, i believe it is still possible to buy it even if its a few years later that you want it,i saw a 02 nissan silvia S15 that was imported a year or two back that got the reg 02C15,or something like that.
    Transferable registrations never really happened in this country,though back in the pre 87 days it was possible to use an old reg on a new car providing the donor car was scrapped,theres a story of a guy registering a new 205 GTI in the 80s with the mid 60s limerick reg GTI205 which came from a dead morris minor,so it did happen.

Im convinced the only reason the english system is so complicated is so they can sell as many personalised plates as possible.im sure theres no need for such complexity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

But what if your car reg was genuinely, say, 98 KE 4 or 05 DL 2??? Or even 05 D 12345??? If that is the one you were assigned?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

But what if your car reg was genuinely, say, 98 KE 4 or 05 DL 2??? Or even 05 D 12345??? If that is the one you were assigned?
    Carzone. Stat! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 68,954 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you reserve a plate do you *have* to use it? I'm torn about what replacement car to go for next year, and one of them has a numeric component to its name, and I'm just the kind of tosser that'd go for a personalised plate :D

Plus having a plate to go on it would ensure the garage didn't dump me with a D reg like happened in the past (was expecting to get a KE reg, car was registered to the garage on arrival though...).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

not mad about these personalised plates to be honest. of course the majority of 911's have plates (XX-X-911) ive noticed that most of the ferraris ive seen here have them too (XX-X-430/XX-X-360,etc.) and Audi R8's ive seen tend to have several 8's in the reg number.

not for me but i really dont like personalised plates at all, especially the UK ones. you would see them in the back of car mags and the kind of money they are looking for them is unreal. i saw an ad a while back for a UK plate number: T104 AST (TOAST??) asking for £15000+!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

MYOB wrote: »

Plus having a plate to go on it would ensure the garage didn't dump me with a D reg like happened in the past (was expecting to get a KE reg, car was registered to the garage on arrival though...).

So you were the second owner of the new car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,954 ✭✭✭✭L1011

RobAMerc wrote: »
    So you were the second owner of the new car ?

Probably... I don't have it any more so I'm not actually sure but I know where the car is (family member has it) so I can check to see if it has one (me) or two (me + incompetent garage) former owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Jaysus, typical Irish begrudger's !!! :rolleyes:

I noticed that a lot of the threads are complaining about executive or premium cars having unique reg plates.

I have personalised plates myself on my bike, its looks far from tacky. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

KTRIC wrote: »
    Jaysus, typical Irish begrudger's !!!

We're not begrudgers, we're snobs.

Begrudgers resent wealth and displays of wealth, few here would resent someone driving a quality car like a Ferrari. Car snobs like us look down on people with no taste, who think personalised plates make their car look better. It's particularly bad taste to take a quality car that we would otherwise admire and stick a tacky plate on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rambo10

What is your thoughts on these? Eg 08 xx 159 (alfa 159), 08 xx 44 (audi a4).
    Do they increase the value or resale potential of a car at all, or are they considered to be too flash etc?
    Given the choice, would you have it on your car, if it was a suitable model?
    Posted via Mobile Device

a cherished plate without question adds to the sale-ability of the car, i have a friend in the motor business, and he swears by it. it will now get you a premium nor has he ever charged a premium but it definitely helps move the car. almost essential on anything 100k plus, thats what the customer wants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

It's all personal choice, and I like some of them... Aston's with 007 plates look stupid, Mercs with say 08-D-63 are cool, as are ferrari's like 07-D-599

if it's a good plate on a good car, it will add value. I have had 2 ordered plates and I know a lot of people with personal plates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

first post so will keep it brief
    re. personalised plates; a quarry in carlow (dan morrissey ltd) insists on the number 7 appearing in all plates on all its new vehicles lorries vans diggers company vars etc, not enough to be 07 cw xxxx must appear in the rest of the plate
    was told this years ago and diddent believe it for a while but its true
    look at any of their yellow trucks on the road and believe!
    even the owners merc cls 500 and all the farm tractors have a seven in the reg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

re. personalised plates; a quarry in carlow (dan morrissey ltd) insists on the number 7 appearing in all plates on all its new vehicles lorries vans diggers company vars etc, not enough to be 07 cw xxxx must appear in the rest of the plate

They're not the crowd that keep winning the Lotto are they?

I think that low key, mysterious personalised number thing is REALLY cool though.
    '159', '335' , '45' numbers though:rolleyes:...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

But what if your car reg was genuinely, say, 98 KE 4
    That would not be possible unless you reserved it. All numbers below 200 are automatically reserved for sale as are many other numbers which 'match' specific models or are 'rounded'.
    KTRIC wrote: »
    I have personalised plates myself on my bike, its looks far from tacky. :p
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You're hardly going to admit that your plate is tacky!
    Dukes Transport, the former Northern Ireland haulage firm, always had their truck registrations ending in '77'.

Personally I find personalised number plates to be generally tacky but I love this one! :D

BMW633CSi-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

The red one is mine :p

31082008103.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

I must find the photo and upload it, but was at a roundabout in galway on evening and pulled up behind a ssanyong rexton, some water company was printed on the side, but the regplate was 05MO515, and in the font it looked like osmosis, was pretty cool looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

skink wrote: »
    I must find the photo and upload it, but was at a roundabout in galway on evening and pulled up behind a ssanyong rexton, some water company was printed on the side, but the regplate was 05MO515, and in the font it looked like osmosis, was pretty cool looking!

Sounds cool!

Saw this the other day, you can only imagine how the '5' was shaped! :rolleyes:
    https://www.cartell.ie/ssl/servlet/beginStarLookup?registration=05tn54&registration1=05tn54&irishbutton=Get+Report&registration2=EnterRegistration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

skink wrote:
    the regplate was 05MO515, and in the font it looked like osmosis, was pretty cool looking!
    Osmosis sucks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I think they are worth while on a nice car, especially of you are importing a 2nd hand car from UK. It looks less "imported" looking.

Saw a 08 M5 (white) with 08-c-115, the "1"s were facing each other to make it look like an "M". I thought that was bad.

I saw 3 cool UK ones recently:
    MR2 with BR05NAN, yer man's name had to be Brosnan!
    (also saw Ford GT40 with reg ENF3R at Munster final a few years ago, one of the Ronan's cars (own Enfer) I believe).
    An A4 Avant with reg A41VAN but it was spaced A4 IVAN, obviously Ivan's A4..

Clever ones from Ireland I've seen are:

96-C-36 (AMG C36)
    94-LS-400 (Lexus LS400)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Personally I find personalised number plates to be generally tacky but I love this one! :D

A friend of mine owned a Calypso red 635i with the reg SI 635. Thought is was a good one too. It's tucked away in someone else's garage now who also has a new M5 & X5, a BMW nut. In safe hands I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Check this one out... It's a 320d msport coupe. How do the plates compare with the fake ///M badge for tackiness?
    :(
    62817.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

That's not a fake badge, it's not claiming to be an M3, it's got an M badge because it has an M Pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Uh oh, here we go again... They're probably available from the dealer, so they're not fake in that regard, but I think the z3 and z4 were the only cars to get those boot badges as standard.

Advertisement