Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Certified Master Program

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

The MS Certified Master Program is out on the website

Its pitched above MCITP and below MCA and is offered in 3 tracks for SQL Server 2008, Exchange Server 2007 and Windows Server 2008 and possibly 2 others based around SharePoint and OCS

They seem to be corresponding to the Ranger certification tracks.
    Introducing Master certifications

The new Microsoft Certified Master series offers advanced technical training and certifications on Microsoft technologies that go beyond any product training offered outside of Microsoft today. IT professionals who successfully complete the program and certification testing validate their skills as product experts who successfully design and implement solutions that meet the most complex business requirements.

Exclusive advanced training

The strength of Microsoft Master training begins with an experience-based curriculum that is built upon a foundation of 300-level and 400-level classroom training and labs. The curriculum is presented by instructors who are practiced experts in their discipline and who draw upon their real-world experience to ensure that students learn skills that apply in the workplace.
    Certification

Master certification enables senior IT professionals to demonstrate and validate their technical expertise on Microsoft server products and authoritatively differentiate themselves to prospective employers and customers. Master certification is a primary prerequisite for all technical Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA) certifications.

Who should apply?

Qualified program candidates are highly skilled technical experts in their discipline with several years of experience designing, deploying, and managing solutions by using Microsoft technology. To be eligible for Master certification, the candidate must be a current Microsoft Certified Professional (with a Microsoft Certification ID) or an eligible Microsoft employee. Specific technology requirements vary by platform.

To achieve Master certification, candidates must fulfill the following training requirements:
    • Attendance of required sessions
    • Successful completion of all in-class (written and lab) exams
    • Successful completion of qualification lab exam

Registration is coming soon!

Registration is scheduled to start in July 2008. Classes are scheduled to begin in the third quarter of 2008. Please check back often for the latest updates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Are you going to register or wait for the big one?

I think i'll go for the WS2008 one, at the rate im going with Cisco I wont make CCNP for another 5 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Dont know yet, I might go for either the SQL or MOSS one if it comes out. The others are well beyond me at this stage.

I will also need to see more information about it.

From http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/master/products/default.mspx

Exchange 2007

Experience

• Five or more years of hands-on experience with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003: installing, configuring, and troubleshooting
    • One or more years of hands-on experience with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007: installing, configuring, and troubleshooting
    • A thorough understanding of Microsoft Exchange Server design and architecture
    • A thorough understanding of AD, DNS, and other core network services upon which Exchange Server depends
    • Speak, understand, and write in fluent English

Successful completion of the following exams and certifications

• Exam 70-236: TS: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
    • Exam 70-237: PRO: Designing Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
    • Exam 70-238: PRO: Deploying Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2007
    • Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) on Windows Server 2003
    or
    Exam 70-640: TS: Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, Configuring

SQL 2008

Experience

• A minimum of five years of experience with SQL Server 7.0 or later: installing, configuring, and troubleshooting
    • A minimum of one year of experience with SQL Server 2005 or later: installing, configuring, and troubleshooting
    • A thorough understanding of SQL Server design and architecture
    • A thorough understanding of SQL Server core components and dependencies, such as OLTP, high availability, disaster recovery, performance tuning optimization, storage, security, manageability, and data distribution technologies

• Exam 70-431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – Implementation and Maintenance
    • Exam 70-441: PRO: Designing Database Solutions by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    • Exam 70-442: PRO: Designing and Optimizing Data Access by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    • Exam 70-443: PRO: Designing a Database Server Infrastructure by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    • Exam 70-444: PRO: Optimizing and Maintaining a Database Administration Solution by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005
    • Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Database Administrator
    or
    • Exam 70-431: TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – Implementation and Maintenance
    • Exam 70-447: Upgrade: MCDBA Skills to MCITP Database Administrator by Using Microsoft SQL Server 2005

Windows 2008

Experience

• Five or more years of hands-on experience with Windows Active Directory: installing, designing, configuring, and troubleshooting
    • A thorough understanding of Windows Active Directory design and architecture
    • A 300-level understanding of site component topology, forest operations and topology, Active Directory distributed file system, file replication services, security, client interactions, and Group Policy
    • A basic understanding of Active Directory Certificate Services, Rights Management Services, Active Directory Federated Services, and ADAM/Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services
    • Functional skills in basic protocol analysis, Hyper-V, scripting PKI, and IP addressing and routing

• Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSE) on Windows Server 2000, MCSE on Windows Server 2003
    or
    Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP): Enterprise Administrator
    • Exam 70-219: Designing a Microsoft Windows 2000 Directory Services Infrastructure
    or
    • Exam 70-297: Designing a Windows Server 2003 Active Directory and Network Infrastructure

It looks like and was said in the front page that MCM will become the prereq for the MCA technical tracks (SQL & Exchange) so making the tracks a bit longer to get but I am guessing more achievable to the normal person.

More information (from Christian Bolton's blog)

The cost! <drum roll please!!!!!!!>
    # Pricing

* Package: $18,500
    o 3 weeks of training
    o 3 written tests
    o 1 Qualification Lab
    * Retakes
    o Written tests: $250 each
    o Lab Test: $1,500

So what the Masters program is essentially is the training element from MCA Ranger certifications. It doesnt have the last interview process that qualifies you as an MCA. I am wondering how that works and will the cost come down for the MCA Ranger program

Existing MCA Messaging and MCA Database will also get the MCM qualification.

They will be doing worldwide delivery as well.
    # Microsoft Certified Master

* 3 weeks of mandatory training
    o One 2-week block, one 1-week block (can choose to consume all together or not)
    * Core technical content / sessions
    * ‘Written’ exams
    * Qualification Lab Test

# Microsoft Certified Architect (Technology Programs)

* Messaging, Database, Directory
    * Pre-requisite = Certified Master (does not apply to Infrastructure and Solutions tracks)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

"Speak, understand, and write in fluent English"

I think they just denied the vast majority of commercial tech support....(and most americans :) )

• Advertisement

Just found this,
    My name is Per and I'm responsible for the Master and MCA certifications at Microsoft. Since I announced the Master certification at a TechEd talk last week, I've been checking out what posts / press has come out on it, and that finds me here

Hopefully I can find out if this will be available in Europe

Linkage

fiscal year 2009 (July 2008-June 2009)
    In FY09 we will be Redmond only. In FY10, my goal is to include 3 US based sites, 2 in EMEA and 2 in APAC.

For acceptance into the program, we have the pre-requisites already published at www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/master . We do request a resume (C.V.) which we will study to determine if you have good experience leading projects in the particular technology. We will only contact you if we have questions on this. Overall, we want to make sure that whoever signs up, is positioned for success.

Depending on the amount of applications we get, we may have to move from "first come, first served" to some type of prioritization scheme based on resume details / work experience.

More on the MCM..

The program manager for the MCM Per Farny has posted some more information on the whole Masters certification program..

In the area that gets most people, pricing, he explained the following
    The prices for the programs are $18,500USD which includes 3 weeks of training, and the first attempts at each of the four required tests: 3 'written' tests and one lab based exam. Retakes cost $250 per written test, and $1,500 for the lab exam, and you are only allowed a maximum of three attempts per test. We know this isn’t exactly pocket change, but based on customer feedback from the Ranger program, we are confident that it is a good value to those of you who will go through the program. We recognize that the cost may be a barrier to entry to some people who could otherwise make the grade—but that is something we will have to live with in the short term; getting top notch subject matter experts in one place for three weeks, the hardware, etc. just don’t come cheap.

We are not quite ready to sign people up for the program. We hope to have that ready in 4-6 weeks and details will be posted on our website once we’re ready.

For acceptance into the program, we have the pre-requisites already published on our site. (No, if you only have four years and 330 days, we won’t throw out your application…) We will request a resume (C.V.) which we will study to determine if you have good experience leading projects in the particular technology. We will only contact you if we have questions on this. Overall, we want to make sure that whoever signs up, is positioned for success. Depending on the amount of applications we get, we may have to move from "first come, first served" to some type of prioritization scheme based on resume details / work experience.

Seating will be very limited. 250 seats in FY09, 500 in FY10 and we’ll see from there. To give context here also: our certified partners for Learning Solutions (CPLS) partners train 800,000-900,000 individuals a year, with excellent quality courseware and trainers. We are not intending—and aren’t capable—of replacing that. Master is only a tiny blip on the scene and fulfilling a market need we see that is not being addressed right now.

Also on how it affects the MCA, it doesnt per se. It is now a stepping stone to MCA
    No, Master will not replace MCA—it will live almost side by side. We are fully committed to the Microsoft Certified Architect certifications. Based on feedback over the last several years, we are evolving the programs to more fully meet customer and industry needs. This will likely mean an expansion of the MCA family and a focus on growing the communities overall. In a nutshell, we're making the differentiation clearer between a top technical person and an architect as we're finding the skill sets and job roles are actually quite different.

Master certification is, in effect, an evolution of the purely technical pieces of the Ranger programs, more cleanly separating the technical from the architectural / business / consulting / soft skills. Stay tuned for further details on the MCA evolution

On a personal level, I am on the fence on this one for this particular level of certification. Until I see something more than just the training as such I think its a bit too prohibitive based on cost.

Also what are the benefits to the company on the partner program level for having such qualified individuals such as MCA and MCM. Unlike the Cisco Gold Partner status where you need CCIEs, you dont need MCA or MCM for the Microsoft Gold Partner level... might need to change to make it more attractive to companies to send people to do this stuff.. My 2ø anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Just wondering what league we are talking with this cert?

I know you can't compare Microsoft Certs to Cisco Certs... but at a level (i.e. Job level/management etc) where does this one stand - CCNP... VCP.... CCIE?

I am afraid I dont understand the question?

• Advertisement

Sorry... It wasn't very clear.

I guess I'm just trying to get an idea of what level this certification is using others as a benchmark.

I know its above MCSA/MCSE but I'm wondering how does it fair out in the workplace.
    Typically who would have this certification, put it to use and benefit most from it?

How much more marketable would you be with this certification in comparision to say... oh... an MCSE 2003 with 3 years experience.

Well if you look at say the requirements for the SQL speciality, its a very high entry point.

There are not many people with both DBA and DBD certs on SQL 2005 at the moment and also have the prerequisite experience on the product.

Marketability at the moment is low as its a brand new certification and thats one of the criticisms of it. And also as I pointed out above there is no membership benefits for having an MCM or MCA on your staff..

On where this fares in the workplace. This certification is the guru level. You know the guy in the office, it doesnt matter if you write the email in binary, they will still know the answer... Before you go to the internet you go to this person and if they dont know it, its probably not reported yet... thats the level..

Ginger wrote: »
    Well if you look at say the requirements for the SQL speciality, its a very high entry point.

There are not many people with both DBA and DBD certs on SQL 2005 at the moment and also have the prerequisite experience on the product.

Marketability at the moment is low as its a brand new certification and thats one of the criticisms of it. And also as I pointed out above there is no membership benefits for having an MCM or MCA on your staff..

On where this fares in the workplace. This certification is the guru level. You know the guy in the office, it doesnt matter if you write the email in binary, they will still know the answer... Before you go to the internet you go to this person and if they dont know it, its probably not reported yet... thats the level..

Thanks -

I just wanted to get a better idea. I don't think its something to go for yet at my level but its good to know its there.

Most people will be ok at MCITP... some will have the experience to head to Masters level...

The entry program is more rigourous too.. only those they thing will pass will be admitted initially..

Advertisement