Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Geneva's Where?

• 10-06-2008 12:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just after overhearing one of the girls in the office ask my manager where he was for the last two weeks. First he was in Spain, then a week in Geneva to which she's replied.... 'Geneva's Where?'.

Last week I was on the phone to a new supplier in the UK and she told me how she had just returned from the Channel Expo (trade show). She mentioned while there she saw her first scotsman and her first irishman. Conversation went a little something like this:

Me: Sure there are several million scotsmen to the north of you.
    Her: Are there?
    Me: Eh yeah, what part of england are you in?
    Her: Eh I don't know. Steve (her colleague), what part of england are we in?
    Steve: (Muffled).
    Her: Somewhere near London. I don't know exactly where.

Now by chance both cases happened to be with woman, purely coincidental. But my gripe here is what the hell is happening with basic education. Not knowing where geneva is and then not knowing what part of england your in! I had a good old laugh recounting the second story to anyone who would listen last week.

Have you had any shocking statements or stories told to you recently?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just leave out the first part as it makes you sound like a bit of a supercilious dick. Second part is a bit mind-boggling though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are you sure she wasn't in an Indian call-centre, pretending she was in England?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

But my gripe here is what the hell is happening with basic education. Not knowing where geneva is and then not knowing what part of england your in! [/QUOTE] Your basic education can't be that hot if you can't distinguish between your and you're.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just leave out the first part as it makes you sound like a bit of a supercilious dick.

And that reply makes you look like someone who shouldn't have left school at 14 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Just leave out the first part as it makes you sound like a bit of a supercilious dick. Second part is a bit mind-boggling though.

How so? C'mon I'm really surprised at her. She's late 30's to early 40's and reaonably well travelled. How could she not know where Geneva is. It's not like it's a city in some far flung country on the other side of the world.

• Advertisement

Where is Geneva?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Workign in Directory Enquires, taking cvalls from UK:

Her: I need a taxi company in Stratford, please.
    Me: Stratford East London, or Stratford-Upon-Avon
    Her: Oh. Em.... Hang on, I'll just ask the boyfirend....

Another customer told me he'd rung a rival company and a girl couldn't find a number for Buckingham Palace because.... she'd been looking in Buckingham...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where is Geneva?

I know.... I'm told us men can never find it...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Joliegood wrote: »
    Your basic education can't be that hot if you can't distinguish between your and you're.

:):):):):):):):)

That made me smile cos the OP is making fun of someone else's education

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Joliegood wrote: »
    Your basic education can't be that hot if you can't distinguish between your and you're.

Woooooot - I'll get my handbag. Fair enough my grammar may not be that sh*t hot but c'mon Geneva for god's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Yea i have a friend who has no idea about geography.
    First of all she thought South Africa was in Brazil and she didnt know that Mayo was even a county. There have been more ridicilous things she has said but cant remember them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

all that's going through me head while reading this is

"I SAY GENEVA, YOU HEAR HELSINKI! HUH?"

Tom Green, what a leg end

Woooooot - I'll get my handbag. Fair enough my grammar may not be that sh*t hot but c'mon Geneva for god's sake.

You're still not saying where Geneva is?

Yes, I know I could simply just type it into google and find out that way.

You're still not saying where Geneva is?

Yes, I know I could simply just type it into google and find out that way.

Right OK it's in Switzerland. I've included a link to Wikipedia for you so you can read up on it a bit.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Any more European cities you'd recommend educating ourselves on mate? I'm a little bored today, so might as well brush up in case I should inadvertantly leave myself open to ridicule because of my poor geography skillz

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Any more European cities you'd recommend educating ourselves on mate? I'm a little bored today, so might as well brush up in case I should inadvertantly leave myself open to ridicule because of my poor geography skillz

Why have you taken this so personally Dave? I wasn't being smug or superior. I was just genuinely surprised that this older, reasonably well travelled woman didn't know where Geneva was.

I'm certainly far from an intellectual, just a regular old Joe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

I know about Geneva. Just couldn't remember where it was.

And you do realise that a lot of UK businesses have outsourced their call-centres, right? Might explain why that person didn't know where they were in England.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

The amazing thing is that you are surprised.

You are dead right though.

A great number of people under 25 haven't a bulls clue where they are.

Surely you should have copped this by now!!!

Yes, they have travelled all over the world but ask them to tell you if Vietnam is north or south of Malaysia or is Chile on the East or West coast of South America.... not a fcukkin clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Getting on a plane to Scotland, and i overheard a woman ask someone " what lake does the LOCH NESS monster live in?" I couldn't stop laughing the whole flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Some time ago I needed a supplier to send a package to a client in the West of Ireland, to one of those weird and unpronouncable country names. His response was "Jasus, if you took that to a pharmacy they'd make it up in a bottle for you!":)

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I don't suppose these peopel were American by any chance. I mention this because....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

I'm with the OP that people should know this sort of stuff.

But I'm not surprised, people are stupid. No one ever became poor relying on the stupidity of the populous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

And you do realise that a lot of UK businesses have outsourced their call-centres, right? Might explain why that person didn't know where they were in England.
    That was the person making the call who did not know which Stratford they were actually in, the one in the call center was asking for the clarification.

Geneva airport does have a terminal specifically for internal French flights and is only just over the border itself so could cause confusion if you had been through it whilst half asleep. I could understand getting confused by Strasbourg which sounds far too German a name to actually be in France though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Last week I was on the phone to a new supplier in the UK and she told me how she had just returned from the Channel Expo (trade show). She mentioned while there she saw her first scotsman and her first irishman. Conversation went a little something like this:

Me: Sure there are several million scotsmen to the north of you.
    Her: Are there?
    Me: Eh yeah, what part of england are you in?
    Her: Eh I don't know. Steve (her colleague), what part of england are we in?
    Steve: (Muffled).
    Her: Somewhere near London. I don't know exactly where.

Sounds like she was in a different country. Loads of companies outsource their customer service stuff to call centres elsewhere...... tbh I'd have thought most people would have realised that once the person couldn't say where in England they were.

In my last job, we were based in Dublin, but doing tech support for other countries. We were supposed to pretend we were actually in the country, so when someone asked where abouts you were located, everyone went 'ehhh', trying to remember what country you were supposed to be in and where you were supposed to be based. Not that easy in 3 languages, for about 15 different countries, so maybe the woman wasn't so thick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

A girl in my class once asked who Charlie Haughey was. It was around 1998. I think the teacher was talking about some story in the news. Couldn't believe it.

Americans don't even know the geography of America let alone the rest of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Where's Wally?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I used to work with a guy who thought the pyramids are in India.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

dublindude wrote: »
    I used to work with a guy who thought the pyramids are in India.
    Tut tut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sherifu wrote: »
    Tut tut.

Punderfull!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

RonMexico wrote: »

Americans don't even know the geography of America let alone the rest of the world.

Some Americans don't know the geography of America and other places. I've put my European friends to shame when it comes to geography (I have a thing for maps). :p

The Geneva lady is from Dublin and the english girl is actually based in england. The company she works for don't outsource work, that's why it was so shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Are you sure? I mean, you'd have to know where you worked/lived :eek:
    Maybe she misunderstood the question? I don't think someone not knowing where Geneva is is that shocking, but how can you not know where you are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I will openly admit I am crap at geography. Never bothered learning a map. Couldnt piece together a puzzle of Europe, unless the box had a nice picture on it.
    [smug]
    And my IQ is 131 apparently.
    [/smug]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

A girl in my class didn't know where Strasbourg or Brussels are even though her father was involved in the European Parliament and spent a lot of time in both places. She's a bit of a bimbo but she's actually quite intelligent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I still can't find my way to Amarillo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

TPD wrote: »
    I will openly admit I am crap at geography. Never bothered learning a map. Couldnt piece together a puzzle of Europe, unless the box had a nice picture on it.
    [smug]
    And my IQ is 131 apparently.
    [/smug]

Congratulations on your laziness.

At least stupid people have the excuse of stupidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

A friend of mine was in Australia, and a couple of English people there thought Ireland is still ruled by the Queen.

Tards.

The amazing thing is that you are surprised.

You are dead right though.

A great number of people under 25 haven't a bulls clue where they are.

Surely you should have copped this by now!!!

Yes, they have travelled all over the world but ask them to tell you if Vietnam is north or south of Malaysia or is Chile on the East or West coast of South America.... not a fcukkin clue.

EXTRA EXTRA!!!!!!!

The Flutt' in non-orifice-based posting SHOCKER!!!!!!

Posters and lurkers alike were today shocked to discover that one of Boards.ie's resident gutter-monkeys missed, nay refused an opportunity to line his post with fecally-tainted puns and whatnot.

In a first for the 'Brown Bomber' as he is affectionately known in certain circles, Scutterin' Wanton earlier posted a reply that was not only unlittered with synonym's for human waste, it was completely and totally free of them.

Shocked byposters were left reeling as the Flutt's post, which is usually festooned with such beauties as 'Nipsy', 'Dangleberries' and 'one-eyed wriggling welshman', sailed past them innocuously. Some even responded with efforts to leave the door open for him to save face by leaving puntastic openings for him such as "to send a package" - Art6, "outsource" - Claire121 and "crap" - TPD; but all was to no avail.

Long-time admirer, O.C.S. alumnus and fellow smut-peddler Degsy was heard muttering to himself before wildly shouting "who are you and what the F*ck have you done with the Flutt, you imposter!!!" before heading to the jacks on the 3rd floor of his office.

Gardai even got in on the act by saying they have nothing to go on.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Many years ago my dad was visiting Phoenix Arizona and he was sitting down for a min when a local came along and sat down beside him, they got talking and the local lad asked my dad where he was from

My dad explained he was from Ireland.

The local sat and though for a min and then asked, "Is that near Australia?"

I was in Vegas a few years back and was talking to some women and she asked where I was from, I explained I was from Ireland...she looked at me like a deer looks at a oncoming cars headlights...I then said Europe and she replied with "Ohh so you speak french?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

The captial of Australia allows fukks me up. I bet a lot of Irish would answer this wrong!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

DonJose wrote: »
    The captial of Australia allows fukks me up. I bet a lot of Irish would answer this wrong!!!

LOL I asked my family this today and they hadn't a clue. I had to show it them on the map (free in the Times today so everyone can brush up on their geography) before they would believe me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

A girl in work asked me "How far is Hollywood from Los Angeles?"

Took a lot to stop myself from laughing in her face :D:rolleyes:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

DCC160 wrote: »
    A girl in work asked me "How far is Hollywood from Los Angeles?"

Took a lot to stop myself from laughing in her face :D:rolleyes:

Some jokes are just not meant to be...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

DonJose wrote: »
    its canberra my son got this on a test cause the teacher was being a smart ass but he got it right[thanx to me]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

OP fails

• Advertisement
Advertisement