Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pre sale car inspection

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking at buying a 00 Megane from a small dealership. I have had bad luck with cars and would like to get a mechanic to take a look. Unfortunately I do not know any mechanics so I found a car inspection place on the net. The inspection garage is about 2 mins away from the dealership but the dealer said he could not bring the car to the garage, that a mechanic would have to come to him. Is this unreasonable of me to think that to get the sale he could take the car 2 mins down the road if there was nothing wrong with it? Is this a sign that something may be wrong with the car or is this just not a done thing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Dealers are having a hard time shifting cars at the moment so they should be doing anything you ask to make a deal.

It would be very rare however to get a dealer bought car inspected by a mechanic as they usually come with a full years warranty.

In saying that the first model megane was not known for its reliability so if you have a history of having car trouble then maybe you should give this model a wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be very wary about getting a mechanic who is located so close to the garage to inspect the car. All I am saying is that this garage could be sending a good bit of work that mechanic's way due to the convienence of being near by. On that theory would the mechanic give an honest report on the car risking loosing the business from that garage?

I might be a little paronoid here and everything could be above board but it is a possibility all the same and when it comes to spending my money I would want to be sure I am not buying a lemon.

Personally I would try and find another mechanic located not so close to the garage to inspect the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Rare you would get a 12 month warrenty with an older car, its usualy 3 months or 6 with an arguement

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

MazStar - is the issue here that you want the car to leave his dealership for the inspection - or that you want him to take it there himself?
    I've brought cars for inspections to places before, but I've never asked the dealer to take it there for me. Haven't ever had a problem with them minding me taking it by myself, but if you're quite young I suppose they might be less willing.

Agree that 12 month warranty on an 8 year old car from a small dealer would be very unlikely. 12 months would be normal for a 1/2 year old under and approved used scheme. 3 months engine and gearbox only would be normal.

If he has issue with you taking the car to the mechanic of your choice I'd walk away. You should be able to find plenty of similar cars for not much money from somewhere/someone that will be happy for you to have it inspected on your own terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭MazStar

Thanks for all your replies. The dealer said they cant release the car to a mechanic they dont know.
    I dont know if the car inspection place would come to the dealer as they only advertise you coming to them. Also it would be put on a walk under vehicle inspection ramp which would be more thorough.

I am not really worried that the garage might know the dealer as there are loads of garages/dealers around that area (Naas Rd/ Longmile Rd area).

But as Ferris said I think its a good time to be trying to buy a car, really hate it tho! Drives me mad looking at garages, wish someone would just give me one and say here ya go!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Why don't you start a new thread detailing your requirements and your budget. You might get some good suggestions.

Also I have found this website useful for determining if a car is reliable, its not gospel but its a good source of info.

www.honestjohn.co.uk

You are right tho, now is a really good time to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Dont buy a Renualt!!!

Dont buy French in my opinion.

Buy Toyota or Honda for reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

OP is you are having bad luck with cars, don't buy a Renault, I bought one once, won't be doing that again!

I would always recomend Jap or German. Even though I drive a Skoda:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭captainosull

OP is you are having bad luck with cars, don't buy a Renault, I bought one once, won't be doing that again!

I would always recomend Jap or German. Even though I drive a Skoda:p

Yes because Skoda's contain no German parts at all...

Advertisement