Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainspotting by Devious Theatre

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

The Devious Theatre Company from Kilkenny City will be staging a production of Irvine Welsh's TRAINSPOTTING, adapted by Harry Gibson, in the Watergate Theatre from June 24th - 28th.

Renton-Poster.jpg
    Begbie-Poster.jpg
    Dianne-Poster.jpg

Tickets can be booked on 056 - 7761674.

Check out www.devioustheatre.com for more details.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Cant say I'm a fan of any of the amateur theatre companies in town. I've fallen asleep in the watergate more times than I care to recall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Theatre isn't my thing either so I don't go anymore. But, it's nice to see something edgier like Trainspotting in the Watergate. If it's anything like the book and the film, it could come as a shock to some of the theatre-going folk :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

saw the production of cannibal the musical last year and it was really enjoyable - would love to check trainspotting out but sadly I'm in new york until the end of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

I hate theatre but really enjoyed Heart Shaped Vinyl I have to say.

Damn thespians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 stillhere08

good luck to them, what a cool film, would love to see this production

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Laura Appleby

Yeah looks real good KK should do more stuff like this. Its Sociological.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

Nightwish wrote: »
    Cant say I'm a fan of any of the amateur theatre companies in town. I've fallen asleep in the watergate more times than I care to recall.

I'll agree to a certain extent. Dreamstuff (I think it's them anyways) seems to have fallen behind and have become pretty lacklustre with every production being more or less the same as the last with John Doran carrying the whole thing. Same with Young Film Makers, seem to be making the productions for themselves really.

Devious Theatre are great though, laughed all the way through Cannibal and never got tired of it. Look forward to seeing Trainspotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Most of the Devious crowd were involved with YIFM and Dreamstuff at some point in the past. Trainspotting should be really good. Wish I was going around to see it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Laura Appleby

Yeah Canibal was great had so much fun at that!! and one of the guys was like Majorly FINE he was a trapper i think..... well he had furry stuff on.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

TRAINSPOTTING begins tomorrow in the Watergate Theatre and runs until Saturday. Tickets are 12EURO and can be booked at the Watergate box office on 056 - 7761674. The show kicks off at 8pm nightly.

MotherSuperiorPoster.jpg
    SickBoy-Poster.jpg
    SpudPoster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

mmmm I might pop down to this. Has anyone been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 sirpipalot

TRAINSPOTTING AT THE WATERGATE THEATRE

Have you ever watched the high wire act at the circus? Part of the fascination is wondering will someone slip and crash to the ground.

The Devious Theatre Company took the high wire this week when they tackled Irvine Welsh’s ‘Trainspotting’. This was risky stuff, the film is familiar to the mainly young audience, so they needed to bring something fresh to their stage adaptation.

I’m glad to say there are no shattered bones or broken artistic reputations to report. For anyone unfamiliar with the book or film, this is the story of a bunch pretty hopeless cases living very close to, if not completely over, the edge in Edinburgh. This isn’t the Edinburgh seen by visitors to the arts festival or rugby internationals. We are down in the underbelly where unemployment, alcohol and heroin are boss.

So, in a week that the country has been officially declared to be in a recession, is this the type of show that we really need? Actually I think it is. Along with a dose of reality there are plenty of laughs, especially once you come to terms with the near perfect Scottish accents.

The play has a cast of 11, some playing multiple roles. This is a big undertaking, but the company use two directors, Niamh Moroney and John Morton, to knock it into shape. I caught the opening night where there were just a couple of slow moments, but this should be ironed out by now.

With such a large cast it’s probably unfair to single out any individual performance, but in this case Ross Costigan deserves special mention. He is on stage for most of the show and you just know that this is the part he always wanted as he makes his journey through the hell of heroin addiction and back out again.

By the way, if you are easily offended this is probably not the play for you, although thousands of people seem to have no problem guffawing away to much more distasteful material from Tommy Tiernan.

Earlier in the day I attended the AGM of Kilkenny Tourism where the County Manager, Joe Crockett, outlined the importance of arts and culture to the future of Kilkenny. The Devious Theatre could be as important to Kilkenny as Druid Theatre have been to Galway or Red Kettle to Waterford, given the proper encouragement and support.

‘Trainspotting’ continues at The Watergate until Saturday June 28. ‘Not to be missed’, as the reviewers love to say.

- John Cleere's Review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Doffaldinho

Think I'll give this a skip, Why waste precious €'s when ya can see the real thing just a short walk away, Anyone thats been there knows the place i'm on about ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Well, you're a bit late now anyway, arentcha...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

The production looks very good from what I can see. Hope there is a good turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Its already over! Check the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

I saw it and enjoyed it alot. Particularly the first act. There was some great performances too. But what i really want to know is did Tommy actually inject his actual penis or was it a prosthetic. My mate reckons it was a propthethic but i think it was real?

Advertisement