Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just finished -two- fixie projects

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

Typical - you wait for ages and then two come along at once :)

Been working on both of these for a while now, especially the Dawes one. They'll both be for sale soon via adverts.ie or gumtree, still need one or two small little adjustments and tuning up, but I was so happy to finish them both over the last couple of days that I had to share it with someone now. Big thanks to unionman for the free brake lever and verb for getting the crank for me from the usa.

Here's pix of them, first one is a nice dawes burnt red/brown and silver conversion, second one is a peugeot with the old paint stripped down and resprayed in dark/royal blue (Pocahontas comes with the bike :D). I'll be putting up the full specs soon...

2566777275_6062a2bc51.jpg

2566776593_4a22c41b56.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

More than welcome ! I like the look of the Peugeot. how much will you be hoping to get for em ?

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Verb wrote: »
    More than welcome ! I like the look of the Peugeot. how much will you be hoping to get for em ?

Well, if I was charging on the basis of the amount of time/labour spent on them ;), I'd be hoping for around 5,000 euro each (maybe discounting to 9,500 euro if someone wanted to buy the two of them together).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What size are they out of interest? Do you have a second dummy lever on the Peugeot or is the front just on the wrong/Continental side?

And only a rear brake on the Dawes? Bit of a strange choice, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Nice! Who's yer one in the wheel?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

Well done flickerx

You've obviously caught the fixie-building bug. Great example of recycling in its purest form, particularly re-using old stems and stuff.

I've recently built up a nice old mercian frame as a geared bike but because it has horizontal dropouts, I'm tempted to change the whole thing to a fixie, just for the craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

blorg wrote: »

Yeah, what's up with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

where did you get the hubs / wheels? Still kind of toying with making my old maclean into a single speed - not a fixed most likely though. Will probably make it a flat bar'd beast (cos I need new bars , and I have flat bars lying around) with the help of one of these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6254

blorg wrote: »
    What size are they out of interest? Do you have a second dummy lever on the Peugeot or is the front just on the wrong/Continental side?

I'll put up the frame sizes when they're for sale. There's a second lever on the peugeot with brake cable housing still in place, on the right, for a rear brake if someone wanted to put one on. The front brake lever is on the left, so yes afaik this is the way they do it in france.

The rear brake is on the Dawes just because I had a very nice campagnolo veloce caliper brake which didnt fit another fixie, but it only fit the rear brake arch (or whatever that little piece of metal is called) on the dawes, and didnt fit the front forks. I seen a few people riding with the rear rather than the front brake alone on fixies lately, including an italian friend of mine... not sure what the benefit is, maybe if you're getting used to it, you wont feel like you'll glo flying over the handlebars...?

Raam wrote: »
    Nice! Who's yer one in the wheel?

Pocahontas

flickerx wrote: »
    Pocahontas

Actually maybe its the girl from Mulan

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »
    where did you get the hubs / wheels?

eBay, from private sellers mostly. same as any frames i've bought, which i think i've posted up about before. roberto mediero was one i think i got some wheels from before, i think his username on ebay is robertociclismo... he sells a lot of track stuff. wheelandsprocket are the best for cranks, and then just a few places in the UK for stuff like the chains, sprockets, brakes; and then just cycleways for stuff like brake cables, tyres, etc. and unionman for a brake lever

Well, here's the Dawes for sale, with the specs, if anyone here is interested:

http://adverts.ie/59130

I'll put the parts for sale/for trade up tonight.
    Have a set of mavic track wheels, a truvativ elita crank, a 52t chainring with bolts, the other campagnolo veloce brake, a couple of bottom brackets, one or two other bits and pieces...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Hey flickerx, well done, two beauties. :cool::cool:

Nice attention to detail too. Glad the brake stuff has been put to good use. Not in the market myself but I expect you'll find a buyer handy enough.

Well done, very impressive.

unionman wrote: »
    Hey flickerx, well done, two beauties. :cool::cool:

Nice attention to detail too. Glad the brake stuff has been put to good use. Not in the market myself but I expect you'll find a buyer handy enough.

Well done, very impressive.

Thanks for that (both the praise and the lever) - appreciate it...
    but nobody is biting yet. Might have to drop the price. Or eBay it.

Anyone got any other suggestions on where I could advertise the bike? I only have it up on adverts.ie and gumtree.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

flickerx wrote: »
    Thanks for that (both the praise and the lever) - appreciate it...
    but nobody is biting yet. Might have to drop the price. Or eBay it.

Anyone got any other suggestions on where I could advertise the bike? I only have it up on adverts.ie and gumtree.ie.

Ebay? Buy and Sell?

Ebay is an option but realistically there to sell your market will be the UK where you will have both competition and expensive shipping to get it over. But have a look at the eBay advanced search- you can search for completed auctions and get an idea of what similar bikes have actually sold for (rather than what people are asking for them, which is a very different thing.) Just had a quick look and can only find one, but it is a decent looking conversion that went for £155 (€195.)

I'm sorry to say it, but in my view you have overpriced; I know you put a lot of effort into these but at the end of the day I don't think you will tend to make money on fixie conversions, you need to be doing it for the fun, learning, experience, etc. Ultimately, despite the bike being unique, etc. etc. I don't think you will get more than a "modern" fixie like a Langster. You can add on the "Ireland premium" onto the eBay ballpark above but ultimately you may be looking at around half what you are currently pricing at (I asked about the size as I would be interested myself, but not at those prices!)

Here's a link that gives you a fair few more prices (you will have to be logged in to eBay to view these.) Green means it sold at that price, red means it didn't (either no bids or reserve not met.)

A nice Carlton conversion that went for £132 (€167.)

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

you can get one of these for the price that you are looking for.

Gotta agree with Blorg, the price is probably too high. Anyone interested in a fixie will probably either buy a new model, paddywagon, langster, plug, etc, build their own or pick up a cheapo second hand one.

I showed yours to a friend and he would have been interested for around 350 or so. Went and bought a charge plug though.

Good luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

In all fairness, the bike is much better specced than the Paddy Wagon and Langster.

• Advertisement

Hmmm. Might have to drop the price alright. Paddyb that bike is in sterling, not euro. I think the parts are much better than the langster (one of which i have) but I guess people prefer to buy a new bike these days...

If I drop it much more though, I'd seriously be looking at a loss/break even, with the parts and tools I had to buy for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

What size is the Peugeot? Is it also a flip flop hub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

Hey,is the peugot for sale yet.

The peugeot is a larger frame, maybe 58cm or 60cm, but to be honest I am unsure about how to measure frame dimensions. Its not a flip-flop. Its nearly ready, just needs one little small bit of work, I've just been very busy and havent had a chance to get to the hardware shop, I'll have it up for sale during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Any idea how much you'll be asking for it?

Any idea how much you'll be asking for it?

I'd be hoping to get around the same as whatever comes in for the Dawes, whatever that may be in the end...

OK the Peugeot is ready. Asking price is 450, offers welcome. For some infuriating reason it wont let me upload my images to adverts.ie (http://adverts.ie/59879) this morning, even though the images are the same size as the ones for the Dawes ad, so if its ok with the mods I'm going to post them here so adverts.ie potential buyers can at least see what it looks like.

2588966281_2d1495a381_o.jpg

2588965825_c3c5a40980.jpg

2588965625_52e84e9d8a.jpg

2588965393_55732ef2a4.jpg

2589802344_7e61800317.jpg

Peugeot Carbolite road bike converted into fixed gear bicycle for sale, as typically ridden by bicycle couriers. Recently completed project by independent & experienced bicycle builder in centre of Dublin. Full specifications below. Will appeal to cyclist looking for something new and different.

Peugeot Carbolite 103 58cm frame, resprayed in royal blue
    Bitex front hub (quick release), Ambrosio rim
    Campagnolo Record rear hub (quick release), Ambrosio rim
    Drivetrain setup:
    175mm fixed crank
    52t 3/32" silver chainring
    18t 1/8" fixed sprocket
    Brand new 1/8" KMC fixed/ss chain
    Nice leather 1980s Fausto Coppi saddle
    Hsinlung handlebars

Verb wrote: »
    I showed yours to a friend and he would have been interested for around 350 or so. Went and bought a charge plug though.

Dropped the price down to 400 on it so we'll see if anyone bites...

Hmmm. Maybe this hobby of mine is starting to verge on the obsessional / eccentric / insane side... is it just me in this city or is anyone else addicted to building these bikes? Here's another one I've been working on, needs sprocket+lockring, chain, brake cable, maybe a new lever, and some other bits... but should be ready to go in the next fortnight or so... what do people think of it? I like the handlebars, and the white frame is quite striking...

2589900802_cf75de43e5.jpg

• Advertisement

I like that one. Where do you find the frames ?

Gav

Advertisement