Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just finished -two- fixie projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Very cool.
    flickerx wrote: »
    Hmmm. Maybe this hobby of mine is starting to verge on the obsessional / eccentric / insane side... is it just me in this city or is anyone else addicted to building these bikes? Here's another one I've been working on, needs sprocket+lockring, chain, brake cable, maybe a new lever, and some other bits... but should be ready to go in the next fortnight or so... what do people think of it? I like the handlebars, and the white frame is quite striking...

2589900802_cf75de43e5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

She's a beauty. You are clearly addicted.

I can think of worse things to be addicted to!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Looks good. Spokes look nice, are they bladed? Mavic CXP 10 wheels? I think I spy one too many chainrings though ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Hey flickerx,

You want to make money out of this, you should go for the big time. Mass produce a barebones singlespeed/fixie. I reckon a sweet spot price would be around 300 euro. Something like this guy

http://www.osobike.com/

or the bikesdirect the hour
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/thehour.htm

Trick I guess would be to find a supplier of decent, cheap frames & forks. Anywhere in Ireland actually make bike frames ? The other bits could possibly be bought in bulk over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I dont know about doing it full time with those kind of bikes - doesnt seem to be much of a market for them going on the lack of interest in the two I already have for sale.

I get my frames off eBay cheap (for the others I built including my own one), but the white one was an abandoned stray dumped on a street around the corner from where I live. I brought it home, took all the dirty and damaged parts off it, scraped the stickers and glue off it, cleaned it with solutions and wiped it off to prep it for spraying (I was looking at it again tonight, the white frame is great, I'm tempted to respray my own mustard coloured self-build!), then started taking other parts i have to build it up (wheels, handlebars, brake cable, new nuts and washers everywhere, etc). The crank bolt in the bb looks a bit rusted, and the crank is one of those all in one jobs with the chainrings so there's no simple removal. I'm loathe to start pushing and grinding with the crank removal tool after a disastrous attempt on another road bike in a similar state about a year and a half ago. The teeth on the chainring are ok and the bb seems solid and fluid (ok contradiction but you know what I mean!) so I think I'll leave it as is. The chainline will be running off the smaller ring I guess so I'll probably put a 13 or 14t sprocket on it so the gear ratio will be alright.

• Advertisement

flickerx- there is a market but just not at the prices you are looking for, e.g. I don't think there is much of a market for the once-off renovation done by hand- you are unlikely to make it worthwhile (I do recall a small English company that had this "recycled bikes" as their thing, but they were selling a fair bit cheaper than you IIRC.)

But its actually relatively expensive to build fixies in Ireland because you have to get the parts sent from eng-ger-land or the USA, thats the crunch

Nothing much gets manufactured in Ireland any more, never mind cheap but reasonably professional bike frames - all we have is service industries (insurance and the like) and call centres. Its insane - I know a lad from italy, taking calls from italy, speaking in italian and working with other italians - all in a call centre in sandyford.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

But its actually relatively expensive to build fixies in Ireland because you have to get the parts sent from eng-ger-land or the USA, thats the crunch

Nothing much gets manufactured in Ireland any more, never mind cheap but reasonably professional bike frames - all we have is service industries (insurance and the like) and call centres. Its insane - I know a lad from italy, taking calls from italy, speaking in italian and working with other italians - all in a call centre in sandyford.

Now that's a rant! I'd almost buy one of your bikes just for that :)

Raam wrote: »
    Now that's a rant! I'd almost buy one of your bikes just for that :)

I'll rant some more for you if it leads to a sale

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'll rant some more for you if it leads to a sale

I reckon I'd pay 300 quid or so for a nice reclaimed fixie -in fact I rather do that than get a new one, as a bit of history goes a long way for me, but more than that is probably pushing it

I know it's getting a little off topic, but have you considered tryin to set yourself up as an importer of the bit and bobs you need? Dunno how much it would cost, but imagine if you were the go to guy for all fixie bits in Ireland -all you need is a website, and I reckon you'd get a fair few orders in...

• Advertisement

I reckon I'd pay 300 quid or so for a nice reclaimed fixie -in fact I rather do that than get a new one, as a bit of history goes a long way for me, but more than that is probably pushing it

Well then, (and apologies in advance for the shameless marketing of my own gear) here's your chance.
    The Dawes and the Peugeot are both up on eBay.ie with no reserve on them.
    I know it's getting a little off topic, but have you considered tryin to set yourself up as an importer of the bit and bobs you need? Dunno how much it would cost, but imagine if you were the go to guy for all fixie bits in Ireland -all you need is a website, and I reckon you'd get a fair few orders in...

Nah, I've no head for business and money, wouldnt even know where to begin. And as I said, I dont think there's much of a market for it here either. Not yet anyway.

flickerx- is it possible to come out to have a look at the bikes before the auctions end?

Yeah I guess so, but it'd have to be an evening next week, tomorrow night I've got a stag night on (christ) and then the wedding at the weekend.

I live in the north inner city. PM me.

Well then, (and apologies in advance for the shameless marketing of my own gear) here's your chance.
    The Dawes and the Peugeot are both up on eBay.ie with no reserve on them.

I'm a bit... worried about the current prices/bids on the bikes.
    I'm not really experienced with selling stuff on eBay. Anyone got any tips or tricks for maximising exposure on the bikes?
    I put a link from each one on to the other, cant think of anything else that might get more people looking at them though.

The price you get tends to be determined at the very very end of the auction- it will probably jump up a fair bit at that point. People don't bid until 15 seconds before the end- if they have any sense. You are currently well above what might be expected for five days out, I wouldn't worry about it. I have watched stuff that was at 0 bids or 10p until 15 seconds before, went for over £90 in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was very interested in your bikes, I think the frames on offer originally were too big for me, i went for a felt singlespeed instead, but would have prefered to give the money to a hard working boardsie.

I think there is definitely a market there, with the upsurge in bikes already on the way I sometimes feel like singlespeed/fixies are the apple of bikes. That is, people who dont have a fanatic love of bikes tend to like buying more into the culture and image of beanie hats and courier bags. I love the look of a steel framed fixie, very pure and simple.

Auction on them both ends tonight... well, tomorrow morning,

Good luck to anyone from here bidding on them. I'll have another couple ready soon enough if you miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Good luck with the auction.

Couple of questions for my own project as I'm a day away from getting a frame - maybe.

Where did you source the cranksets for your bikes and what model are they?
    Did you build your own wheels or get them built with supplied hubs?
    What rear hubs are you using?

Cheers

to answer some of my own questions I've just found your recommendation of ebay shop "wheelandsprocket" on another thread.

I think I might be spending a few cents there in the coming weeks

watch out for tax. Which reminds me, I have bad news for Gadabout and flickerx. Watch out for PMs coming soon !

• Advertisement

any idea what price falls under the radar and when taxes kick in?

Verb wrote: »
    watch out for tax. Which reminds me, I have bad news for Gadabout and flickerx. Watch out for PMs coming soon !

????

Answering my own questions repeatedly today.

from http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/leaflets/pn1179.htm#par6
    revenue.ie wrote:
    Where a consignment consists of two or more items of an aggregate value exceeding €45, relief will still be given for those items the total value of which does not exceed this amount. However, it is important to understand that the value of an individual item cannot be split up.
    Looks like if the value of the individual items in a package are all less than €45 each then duty does not apply.

Five items valued at €10 each Four items relieved in full. One item subject to Customs Duty (normal rate or 3.5% flat rate) and VAT on its full value (in this case, €10).

Reading between the lines at Verb's post and the crank thread then you may have grounds for appeal if you've been charged against the whole package amount but then again FedEx or whoever probably know the regs inside out at this stage.

Got charged a tax bill on the wheelandsprocket stuff. It was 60 quid, to be divided up between the three of us in the same ratio as delivery. I'll send a pm this evening with a copy of the bill and such.

Stuf, have a look at http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Importing_a_bicycle
    for tax details.

thanks verb - I can't believe that I finally understand import duties after all these years :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Ah fúck.

I'll be around your neck of the woods tomorrow if you're about.

stuf wrote: »
    Good luck with the auction.

Couple of questions for my own project as I'm a day away from getting a frame - maybe.

Where did you source the cranksets for your bikes and what model are they?
    Did you build your own wheels or get them built with supplied hubs?
    What rear hubs are you using?

Cheers

Yeah wheelandsprocket for the cranks - although now with the tax on them surfacing I wonder if its still worth it getting it from the states. I must have a read of the tax laws and see how I can get around them. Whatever happened to unfettered global free trade? Its fúcking bike parts for jaysus's sake!!! I wonder if the Green Party could stop that sort of thing now they're in government - make bike parts exempt from taxes/import duties (yeah right, dream on, shower of wasters they are - they even got my no. 1 vote last time even though their candidate didnt get elected, will they get it again? nope...)

Wheels I've bought from different people and places, but lately I've started building my own (with mixed results admittedly, I dont have a truing stand so once I've built it up, I usually have to drop it into a shop who'll true it properly for an extra €15 or so). Cyclogical on the quays have flip flop (fix/fix and fix/single) hubs made by System Ex and Surly, both were €40 and the System Ex one I bought came with a lockring.

I just get whatever cheaper parts I can, for everything, usually on eBay. Sometimes you have to check back regularly because stuff comes and goes when shops have clearance sales.

The Greens have been very hard working in my view.

The motor tax reform based on emissions is a pretty radical shakeup that wouldn't have happened without them. Also, the overall tenor of this government- including the FF side has been far greener than ever before.

I agree they could do more to promote cycling- No.1 for me would be a tax-free cycle to work scheme as is run in the UK, and the removal of the compulsion to use cycle lanes (they really should be lobbied about this; as far as I am aware this is within the brief of the Dept of the Environment.)

Import duty is an EU competence and the same throughout the EU; there is nothing the Irish government can do about it, never mind the Greens. Note that US prices always exclude sales tax so they often appear artificially lower. (If you think VAT should be a abolished, that's a different discussion.) The import duty is meant to encourage you to buy from an EU seller.

/end off-topic rant

Yeah wheelandsprocket for the cranks - although now with the tax on them surfacing I wonder if its still worth it getting it from the states. I must have a read of the tax laws and see how I can get around them. Whatever happened to unfettered global free trade? Its fúcking bike parts for jaysus's sake!!! I wonder if the Green Party could stop that sort of thing now they're in government - make bike parts exempt from taxes/import duties (yeah right, dream on, shower of wasters they are - they even got my no. 1 vote last time even though their candidate didnt get elected, will they get it again? nope...)

Wheels I've bought from different people and places, but lately I've started building my own (with mixed results admittedly, I dont have a truing stand so once I've built it up, I usually have to drop it into a shop who'll true it properly for an extra €15 or so). Cyclogical on the quays have flip flop (fix/fix and fix/single) hubs made by System Ex and Surly, both were €40 and the System Ex one I bought came with a lockring.

I just get whatever cheaper parts I can, for everything, usually on eBay. Sometimes you have to check back regularly because stuff comes and goes when shops have clearance sales.

Thanks for that

I think with the duty thing you have to balance the cost of multiple shipments at $25 a time with the 4.7% + VAT + €10 to FedEx.

Some nice wheels on wheelandsprocket which is interesting. Wait and see about the frame and then go from there.

• Advertisement

The Dawes went for 255 (not bad) and the Peugeot for 165 (not good).

Having the auction ending at 8am on a Saturday morning was bad timing. Before I put the next two up I need to read a bit about how to make better eBay sales.

Neither of the buyers was a boards.ie'r either...

Here's some washed out crappy mobile phone pix of the latest two. The white one is ready to go, I cant remember what it was before I sprayed but I'm nearly sure it was a schwinn. The raleigh needs some cleaning down and maybe better pedals, but that'll be ready soon too. And I might have a singlespeed ready in the next fortnight (its in pretty bad shape at the moment though admittedly...)

2644380164_a6e49ccfe7.jpg

2644381888_cdd913f5d6.jpg

Advertisement