Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland and Ireland for Euro 2012?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

If UEFA are concerned at the Poland\Ukraine ability to host, at what stage do they change the location, and do Poland and Ukraine plus the new hosts still automatically qualify, keeping in mind that Poland and Ukraine may not be even playing competitive matches by the time a decision is made ?

That could get messy alright..........Perhaps they would have to forfeit their positions in tournament?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

DesF wrote: »
    The Gah wouldn't let it be used in this manner anyway.

**** stirrer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

kraggy wrote: »
    **** stirrer

What?

I could not see The Gah agreeing to games for an International Soccer Tournament being hosted in Croke Park, smack bang in the middle of their own flagship competition.

They are already running scared of soccer as it is, as shown by their determination to murder one of Ireland's most successful Soccer Clubs (no, not Keltic, Shamrock Rovers).

How anyone who calls themself a "fan of Irish Soccer" has one ounce of support for The Gah is absolutely beyond me.

People don't give a shiney fúck about soccer on this island, and only want a big day out. The people insisting that Croker can and would be used in any bid attempt, without knowing or caring about the facts, are testament to this, in my opinion.

What?

I could not see The Gah agreeing to games for an International Soccer Tournament being hosted in Croke Park, smack bang in the middle of their own flagship competition.

They are already running scared of soccer as it is, as shown by their determination to murder one of Ireland's most successful Soccer Clubs (no, not Keltic, Shamrock Rovers).

How anyone who calls themself a "fan of Irish Soccer" has one ounce of support for The Gah is absolutely beyond me.

People don't give a shiney fúck about soccer on this island, and only want a big day out. The people insisting that Croker can and would be used in any bid attempt, without knowing or caring about the facts, are testament to this, in my opinion.

I was referring to the proximity of your post, which included "the Gah", to my post about OhNoYouDidn't's derogatory use of the term.

Thought you were stirring the pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I'd hardly call saying Gah derogatory.

It's just a phonetic way of writing it.

All my life we called the local pitches the Gah pitches.

This was long before they tried to destroy SRFC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

People don't have to be die-hard supporters of Irish soccer to be fans of Soccer. Many of us played both Soccer, Gah(Gaelic football - or whateveryeahwanttocallit) as well as loads of other sports when kids. The topbrass might view it differently but many grassroots GAA fans are Soccer fans too and would prefer both to thrive. Personally I prefer Soccer but I still have a passing interest in GAA and Rugby. You're obviously far more enthusiastic and knowledgable no doubt about Soccer than I am. Since I am not a fanatical supporter - or you saying I shouldn't be a supporter at all? Should I not support Ireland when when they play, should I not support my county when they play Gah or hurling, should I not support my province when they play rugby, should I not support my local soccer team when they play.
    People don't give a shiney fúck about soccer on this island

I more or less agree with you here but perhaps the soccer fans in Ireland should look at themselves rather than blame other sporting bodies. If all the supporters of English Teams gave the same support for their home grown teams Soccer in Ireland would be thriving. But alas I think that's a tradition/mindset that won't change any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I'm not sure if hosting a CL final would be big on their priorities but I am sue they would support a Euro bid.
    Which is not going to happen anyway so it's a moot point.

One other thing.

If UEFA are concerned at the Poland\Ukraine ability to host, at what stage do they cghange the location, and do Poland and Ukraine plus the new hosts still automatically qualify, keeping in mind thta Poland and Ukraine may not be even playing competitive matches by the time a decision is made ?

UEFA would have to make the decision before the qualifiers for Euro 2012 start which would be late 2010 as Poland/Ukraine would have to be included in the draw along with everybody else.
    Polands problems have been going on a while. Their stadiums are not the best and I remember reading some time ago that they simply didn't have the manpower for the building work involved as a lot of the young population of Poland have migrated to Western Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Yes it has the scanning equipment, I have see it used at the All Ireland final with my own two eyes.

Oh and at least one of the German stadiums (Dortmont or Dusseldorf, I can't remember ) has terracing and used temporary seating for the WC, the same type as CP uses, I'll find links tomorrow.

That blows your pathetic statments in previous posts away.

Pathetic? Get a grip.

Croke Park has a steward scan your ticket with a handheld where the Gardai do their searches and you hand the ticket to a man in the turnstile. That is a million miles from the electric trunstiles used in major competetions.

The terracing in Dortmund is specific in that it is seating you can stand on - again, a million miles from the scenes in Cork at the weekend where 400 people had to be let onto the pitch due to crushing. The same sort of terracing that is on the Hill.

You Gah heads are loyal, I'll give you that.

But this is all irrelevant. The Gah would never allow their facilities to be used to promote football in this way, as is their right. Crowds are low enough already in theis years inter counties cup, there are more footballers than Gaelic and hurlers combined (before we count five a side) and more basketballers than hurlers, and the ESRI just reported that they have the same playing numbers they had 20 years ago - a decline in real terms. They have enough problems without helping give football on this island the biggest boost it could ever get.

The Indo trot these stories out every now and again to stir up the predicitble paranoid hornets nest that is the Gah fan enraged at 'soccer' eying their stadia, when nothing could be further from the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Pathetic? Get a grip.

Croke Park has a steward scan your ticket with a handheld where the Gardai do their searches and you hand the ticket to a man in the turnstile. That is a million miles from the electric trunstiles used in major competetions.
    Yep. I've been to all the Ireland home games at CP and Gottlieb-Daimler-Stadium in Stuttgart and the ticket scanners are totally different, the ones in Stuttgart being the more advanced turnstile type.

The Gah would never allow their facilities to be used to promote football in this way, as is their right.
    It certainly is, but will it get to the stage that the GAA will have to let other sports in to make many inspite of the conflict of interests?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I was working as one of those scanners for one of the 6 Nations matches and I can guarantee you that they are an absolute joke

Pathetic? Get a grip.

The terracing in Dortmund is specific in that it is seating you can stand on - again, a million miles from the scenes in Cork at the weekend where 400 people had to be let onto the pitch due to crushing. The same sort of terracing that is on the Hill.

You Gah heads are loyal, I'll give you that.

But this is all irrelevant. The Gah would never allow their facilities to be used to promote football in this way, as is their right. Crowds are low enough already in theis years inter counties cup, there are more footballers than Gaelic and hurlers combined (before we count five a side) and more basketballers than hurlers, and the ESRI just reported that they have the same playing numbers they had 20 years ago - a decline in real terms. They have enough problems without helping give football on this island the biggest boost it could ever get.

The Indo trot these stories out every now and again to stir up the predicitble paranoid hornets nest that is the Gah fan enraged at 'soccer' eying their stadia, when nothing could be further from the truth.

Why the hell do you have to constantly refer to the GAA as the Gah?!

You're like a petulant child.

Grow up.

You're like a petulant child.

Grow up.

lol

Get over it dude, it's the internet.

Why are you so defensive of the gah anyway?

lol

Get over it dude, it's the internet.

Why are you so defensive of the gah anyway?

Because they've done alot for the community and country as a whole.

Because I've played the games all my life and feel pity for anyone who plays and follows soccer while being resentful and spiteful towards GAA or indeed, vice versa.

Why not coexist and get on with winning trophies, whether as supporter or as a player, no matter what your first sport is?

Any why constantly resent the whole of the GAA because of ONE GAA club's battle with your beloved soccer team (not yours Des)?

And just to clarify, I've referred to the GAA as the Gah myself in the past, but some posters here include the term in every one of their sentences of every one of their posts to make a point of how much disdain they have for the organisation. That's my issue. It's pure childishness.

Any why constantly resent the whole of the GAA because of ONE GAA club's battle with your beloved soccer team (not yours Des)?

It wasn't one club. The Dublin County Board backed the case, and Croke Park backed the DCB.

I hate the gah for more reasons for this however, and they've never done a thing for me.

It wasn't one club. The Dublin County Board backed the case, and Croke Park backed the DCB.

I hate the gah for more reasons for this however, and they've never done a thing for me.

But what has a Dublin based dispute got to do with people like myself who play the games and support the sports in say Galway, Waterford, Cork go to do with it?

And the GAA may never have done anything for you personally, but did you ever play hurling or Gaelic Football? And if you did, what did you feel you should gave got out of it?

Lastly, where would the Ireland home games be played last year and this year if not Croke Park

Heading out for lunch. See ye later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

have you considered that it might be because that' what everyone calls it in the real world?

interest in the Gah is declining, albeit slowly. i think in a few years time they'd welcome a champions league Final with open arms because of the revenue. having said that though a soccer match at Croker is a completely different affair to a Gaelic match, it certainly does not work as well and its not as enjoyable tbh.

edit:
    Because they've done alot for the community and country as a whole.

that's the truth. I know my local soccer club does sfa for the community, and only really engages in activities that garner them a hefty fee. much more a sense of community in the local GAA club. perhaps one of the contributing factors to why local soccer is so poorly supported.

But what has a Dublin based dispute got to do with people like myself who play the games and support the sports in say Galway, Waterford, Cork go to do with it?
    If the gah, as an organisation, are going around threatening the existence of Soccer clubs in Ireland, it has a LOT to do with people like you who claim to support soccer, no matter where you live, work or play.
    And the GAA may never have done anything for you personally, but did you ever play hurling or Gaelic Football? And if you did, what did you feel you should gave got out of it?
    I've held a hurl before, that's about it.

I don't feel they owe me, personally, anything.
    Lastly, where would the Ireland home games be played last year and this year if not Croke Park
    If the FAI got their fingers out of their arses, they'd have their own place. Believe me, I have just as much disdain for the FAIlure as I do for the gah.

Maybe they could have asked Liverpool or ManYoo could they use their grounds, it's where the majority of Irish Soccer fans watch their football anyway, what about the Stadium of Light in SundIreland? I'm sure the nice Mr Quinn would only love to oblige.

All the players are based in England, why drag them back to Ireland for every international?
    Heading out for lunch. See ye later.
    Enjoy.

You tell us, the Gah centrally funded the case. If it wasnt in your name, how come you paid the costs? Its a disgrace when you think how much good that money could have done in Tallaght to get kids playing sport.

I don't think anyone, even Des, is disputing that the Gah does fantastic work and is a focal point for many communities, especially rural ones with not a lot else going for them. But there is an element to the Gah that is nasty, vindictitive and on occasion fascistic. There has been a thread through the entire Gah's history of 'getting' at other sports. It is as pointless as it is unneccessary.

Celtic Park. Cardiff. Any number of London venues. Not funding court cases against football clubs, thats for sure.

All this because some harlots and traitors questioned whehter the Jones Road Dome is a top football venue? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,541 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

If the gah, as an organisation, are going around threatening the existence of Soccer clubs in Ireland, it has a LOT to do with people like you who claim to support soccer, no matter where you live, work or play.

I'll tell ya now, I know the Gaa supported the DCB in that debacle, but for people from other counties, they really actually couldnt have cared less what the GAA/DCB did, or about the whole situation. As far as I was concerned, it was between SR and TD, then DCB got involved. I think the GAA were between a rock and a hard place there, if they did nothing, they'd be accused of not helping their clubs, and if they supported DCB/TD, which they did, they'd be accused of trying to destroy a soccer club. So I'd say they picked the lesser of two evils there. I can see why you dont like the GAA for that, its your decision, but your hatred is a bit harsh, I get the feeling you expectt hem to do something for you cos you live in a parish where a team exists. Thats my opinion anyway.

As for CP with the slim possibility of a CL final, someone said a bit back about the first few rows of seats being gone for advertising, could they not use the space around the pitch for that?

And I refuse to comment any more on calling CP a barn!

Mushy wrote: »

I'll tell ya now, I know the Gaa supported the DCB in that debacle, but for people from other counties, they really actually couldnt have cared less what the GAA/DCB did, or about the whole situation. As far as I was concerned, it was between SR and TD, then DCB got involved. I think the GAA were between a rock and a hard place there, if they did nothing, they'd be accused of not helping their clubs, and if they supported DCB/TD, which they did, they'd be accused of trying to destroy a soccer club. So I'd say they picked the lesser of two evils there. I can see why you dont like the GAA for that, its your decision, but your hatred is a bit harsh, I get the feeling you expectt hem to do something for you cos you live in a parish where a team exists. Thats my opinion anyway.

It was very clear to anyone who was close to the case that the DCB were pulling the strings and TD were the vehicle for the case. The aren't even the parish club, thats Craobh Rua, who wisely sat this one out. If it were a local spat, maybe the Gah had to 'support' their own publically (they could have stopped it at any time), but funding the entire case dictates that there is a lot more to this than the Gah apologists want to think.

Personally I think it was a Gah muscle flexing exercise, and very chastising for them when they managed to alienate the entire policitcal establishment. FF siding with a LoI club against the Gah in an election year? Bertie personally intervening on behalf of Rovers? Expelling government ministers from their clubhouse? How the hell did they get it so wrong?

• Advertisement

It was very clear to anyone who was close to the case that the DCB were pulling the strings and TD were the vehicle for the case. The aren't even the parish club, thats Craobh Rua, who wisely sat this one out. If it were a local spat, maybe the Gah had to 'support' their own publically (they could have stopped it at any time), but funding the entire case dictates that there is a lot more to this than the Gah apologists want to think.

Personally I think it was a Gah muscle flexing exercise, and very chastising for them when they managed to alienate the entire policitcal establishment. FF siding with a LoI club against the Gah in an election year? Bertie personally intervening on behalf of Rovers? Expelling government ministers from their clubhouse? How the hell did they get it so wrong?

Yeah, but would TD be able to afford a court case themselves? I'm very much doubting it, and thats why the GAA stepped in financially, otherwise one of their clubs could go into oblivian.

I do accept your POV of how you can see it like that though("Gah muscle flexing exercise"), but as I said, they had to have the best interest of a GAA club at heart ahead of a LoI club. Surely thats understandable? and Im sure many big GAA fans didnt agree with the case, either 1)cos it was wrong, or 2) cos they didnt care about it as it didnt concern them, their county, or their club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Sorry if I've missed a previously post, but does Ireland have enough stadia to host.

Other than Lansdowne, where else?

Croke Park....possible if GAA allow it. Unlikely though by that time once the FAI have their own stadium.
    RDS.... is it big enough? I know Leinster play their rugby their but not sure what the capacity it.

I'll tell ya now, I know the Gaa supported the DCB in that debacle, but for people from other counties, they really actually couldnt have cared less what the GAA/DCB did, or about the whole situation. As far as I was concerned, it was between SR and TD, then DCB got involved.
    So this is it.

You only care about your own local Gah team then?

What Soccer team do you support? Your local one?

So-called sports fans turned a blind eye to the possible murder of one of Ireland's most successful sports clubs.

Quite sad really.

I can see why you dont like the GAA for that, its your decision, but your hatred is a bit harsh,
    A bit harsh?

The Gah tried to kill off Shamrock Rovers. A club with a long and proud tradition, even if I do dislike them, I'd never like to see them dead.

The Gah wanted that, and nothing else. Thomas Davis went to court with the express intention of seeing Shamrock Rovers out of business. Their County Board supported them, the collective in the mothership of Croke Park supported them.

Spin it how you like. Not ONE, not a single ONE other club spoke out about it. Nobody.

What club are you a member of? Did the members there have anything to say, apart from "I couldn't give a shíte"?
    I get the feeling you expectt hem to do something for you cos you live in a parish where a team exists. Thats my opinion anyway.
    Sorry? What?

I don't even know the name of the Gah club in my "parish". Could be Parnells, O'Tooles, Craobh Ciarain, Vincents, Colmcilles. I've never had a screed of interest in any one of them.

Good luck to them with their clubhouses and whatever else, but I'll never step foot inside one.

Yeah, but would TD be able to afford a court case themselves? I'm very much doubting it, and thats why the GAA stepped in financially, otherwise one of their clubs could go into oblivian.

There didn't HAVE to be a court case.

Central Council could have said to TD "No lads, stop acting like dickheads, we're not paying for this shambolic court case".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

d-arke wrote: »
    Sorry if I've missed a previously post, but does Ireland have enough stadia to host.

Other than Lansdowne, where else?

Croke Park....possible if GAA allow it. Unlikely though by that time once the FAI have their own stadium.
    RDS.... is it big enough? I know Leinster play their rugby their but not sure what the capacity it.

Park Uí Chaoimh in Cork, if it gets developed could probably be used. The redevelopment of Thomond Park in Limerick looks good too. Neither of those are really up to scratch at the moment, though.

Tom65 wrote: »
    Park Uí Chaoimh in Cork,

...is a Gah ground aswell.

Would be unavailable in the summer months.

And which bandwagon would the Thomand faithful jump on if the euros came to town?

So this is it.

You only care about your own local Gah team then?

What Soccer team do you support? Your local one?

So-called sports fans turned a blind eye to the possible murder of one of Ireland's most successful sports clubs.

Quite sad really.

A bit harsh?

The Gah tried to kill off Shamrock Rovers. A club with a long and proud tradition, even if I do dislike them, I'd never like to see them dead.

The Gah wanted that, and nothing else. Thomas Davis went to court with the express intention of seeing Shamrock Rovers out of business. Their County Board supported them, the collective in the mothership of Croke Park supported them.

Spin it how you like. Not ONE, not a single ONE other club spoke out about it. Nobody.

What club are you a member of? Did the members there have anything to say, apart from "I couldn't give a shíte"?

Sorry? What?

I don't even know the name of the Gah club in my "parish". Could be Parnells, O'Tooles, Craobh Ciarain, Vincents, Colmcilles. I've never had a screed of interest in any one of them.

Good luck to them with their clubhouses and whatever else, but I'll never step foot inside one.

I'd be mainly concerned with my own GAA club alright, but like yourself with SR, I wouldnt want to see any GAA club disappear.

As for soccer, I've more a passing interest in Bray, as they'd be my local club, but I live in the middle of Wicklow and work over weekends, so not a hope ofoing to any matches.

And no, it wasnt that way(spotrs fans turning blind eye), they just didnt have a say within the Central Council on the issue, although yes, could have been brought up at Congress, but other counties just didnt pry in on what was going on between the different factions. They didnt just ignore SR, they ignored the whole thing, GAA included. It wasnt their business, thats why.

You took that next bit a bit out of context here. I said "I can see why you dont like the GAA for that", so I accept you hate the GAA for what happened with regards SR, thats understandable based on the standpoint taken by them, but apart from that, what is with the apathy towards the GAA, thats what I asked.

I'm a member of a club in Wicklow, the matter of SR wasnt brought up cos our club, and Im very sure other clubs around the country, had their own matters to be dealing with, so something blown way out of proportion(yes by the GAA) wasnt going to concern us.
    DesF wrote:
    There didn't HAVE to be a court case.

Central Council could have said to TD "No lads, stop acting like dickheads, we're not paying for this shambolic court case".

But that would be seen as the GAA not caring about their clubs, both morally and financially.

EDIT: Srry bout the messiness about all this post too!

Yeah, but would TD be able to afford a court case themselves? I'm very much doubting it, and thats why the GAA stepped in financially, otherwise one of their clubs could go into oblivian..

Lets accept what you are saying that this is one club who went off the rails. Are you seriously trying to suggest that no-one in the Gah asked how they would be funding it? What sort of precedence is that to set? That a Gah club can blow a million and its all ok, the lads will sort it out?

Nice try, but the Gah took this case and TD were the puppets. The Judge saw right through it. If I were a betting man, the next Chair of the DCB will be from TD.
    I do accept your POV of how you can see it like that though("Gah muscle flexing exercise"), but as I said, they had to have the best interest of a GAA club at heart ahead of a LoI club. Surely thats understandable? and Im sure many big GAA fans didnt agree with the case, either 1)cos it was wrong, or 2) cos they didnt care about it as it didnt concern them, their county, or their club.

But the point was this case was not in the best interests of the club itself. It was in the best interests of the Gah perhaps, but they couldn't be seen to take a case or the FAI would have been up and out of CP quicker than you can say 'bigots' and they would never have seen another capital grant. So they did it like the did it and tried to call it a 'local' row.

I know for a fact a number of Gah fans, and active members, disagreed with the case, or in a lot of cases the inevitible outcome. But they got no say or chance to object. A question on why the club voted in support was ruled out of order at an AGM of one of Dublins bigger Gah clubs. Some internal democracy that is!

OhNoItIsnt.....

Its on public grounds the Gah rent.....

You took that next bit a bit out of context here. I said "I can see why you dont like the GAA for that", so I accept you hate the GAA for what happened with regards SR, thats understandable based on the standpoint taken by them, but apart from that, what is with the apathy towards the GAA, thats what I asked.

I can assure you it's more than mere apathy.

Try rabid hatred and you'd be a bit closer to the mark.

• Advertisement

OhNoItIsnt.....

really.

Thanks for educating me there.

Anyway,it's hardly suitable for an international tournament, is it.

As for the RDS suggestion.

Fúck sake.

really.

Thanks for educating me there.

Anyway,it's hardly suitable for an international tournament, is it.

No, but just when you thought their Tallaght stance couldn't get any more farcical, they are holding rule 42 over public property. Its ok for the Gah to do deals with local authorities, but when football does it, its off to the High Court.

They had to evacuate the terrace in the dump on Sunday.

No, but just when you thought their Tallaght stance couldn't get any more farcical, they are holding rule 42 over public property. Its ok for the Gah to do deals with local authorities, but when football does it, its off to the High Court.
    Wait, what?

The Gah is trying to invoke their Rule 42 on a publically owned piece of land in Cork?

What?

Are they serious?

Here, all you Gah defenders in this thread.

Have you a comment to make on that one?

Bleedin' clowns. The gah, not the people in this thread.
    They had to evacuate the terrace in the dump on Sunday.

rofl

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055304418
    I would like to know why so many fans were put on the pitch.Was the crowd bigger then expected?
    sheeez wrote: »
    ya i was suprised they were even doing that tbh!
    there was only an expected 25.000 i think and it was almost double!:eek:

I'm a little sceptical of the GAA claims it was just people not moving to the right areas.

I was down at the city end and every time the announcer asked people to move up to the free spaces at the back of the Blackrock end there was just general scoffing. We couldn't see any significant spaces free up there. The aisles were full as well so it looked like there was just too many people there.

The city end was probably also slightly overfilled, though it's hard to tell with terraces. (Maybe it's just the average fan is getting wider.) But it was hard to see where the people spilling out on to the pitch should have been.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well done to the Gah, another organisational success.

People on the pitch?

What is this, the 1970s?

Lets accept what you are saying that this is one club who went off the rails. Are you seriously trying to suggest that no-one in the Gah asked how they would be funding it? What sort of precedence is that to set? That a Gah club can blow a million and its all ok, the lads will sort it out?

Nice try, but the Gah took this case and TD were the puppets. The Judge saw right through it. If I were a betting man, the next Chair of the DCB will be from TD.

But the point was this case was not in the best interests of the club itself. It was in the best interests of the Gah perhaps, but they couldn't be seen to take a case or the FAI would have been up and out of CP quicker than you can say 'bigots' and they would never have seen another capital grant. So they did it like the did it and tried to call it a 'local' row.

I know for a fact a number of Gah fans, and active members, disagreed with the case, or in a lot of cases the inevitible outcome. But they got no say or chance to object. A question on why the club voted in support was ruled out of order at an AGM of one of Dublins bigger Gah clubs. Some internal democracy that is!

Yes, and if the case you mentioned at a big Dublin club was quashed at their AGM, what chance would a small club down the countryhave of making it an issue on the larger scale? Yeah, people wouldnt be happy with the GAA for using money like that, myself incuded, but on a grander scale of things, each club had their own things to worry about. Oh, and so ya know, I wouldnt be all pro-GAA on this case, I did think it was a joke too, but just wouldnt be way too critical off the GAA totally.

And about Pairc Ui Chaoimh,1) they didnt evacuate it, fans partly to blame by not moving, at least they didnt crush them in, and something more serious happen. And 2) it was Munster Council, so dont go blaming the GAA on this one. But thanks for the info bout the stadium, I did think the GAA rented out to the likes of Funderland, not the owners(Cork City Council I'm guessing)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055304418

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well done to the Gah, another organisational success.

People on the pitch?

What is this, the 1970s?

As I have just said, it was the Munster Council who had to deal with it, dont go tarring the GAA with the same brush.

Wait, what?

The Gah is trying to invoke their Rule 42 on a publically owned piece of land in Cork?

What?

Are they serious?

Here, all you Gah defenders in this thread.

Have you a comment to make on that one?

Bleedin' clowns. The gah, not the people in this thread.

rofl

Well, I'll give it a go sure(not to incite). Put it this way, Cork City have their ground, Cobh have their own one, is anybody trying to play in their(FAI/IRFU). So the GAA rent really invoking Rule 42 on the place, as theres no need to. thats just how I see it.

Well, I'll give it a go sure(not to incite). Put it this way, Cork City have their ground, Cobh have their own one, is anybody trying to play in their(FAI/IRFU). So the GAA rent really invoking Rule 42 on the place, as theres no need to. thats just how I see it.

Thats not the point. They went to the High Court to block Rovers doing the exact same deal with SDCC that the Cork County Board did with CCC.

Its hypocricy of the highest order.

Thats not the point. They went to the High Court to block Rovers doing the exact same deal with SDCC that the Cork County Board did with CCC.

Its hypocricy of the highest order.

Yeah, thats is true, so I may aswell ask then, as happen at pretty much every point in every thread I read on Boards...have ya got details to show Pairc ui Chaoimh is publicly owned land? If so, cool, GAA really made a hell of a show of themselves(moreso than already confirmed).

EDIT: Now, I know its Wikipedia, so I didnt know I'd have this high a level of scepticism, but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pairc_Ui_Caoimh

It says the GAA built the stadium themselves...but am still sceptical due to the source.

• Advertisement

OhNoItIsnt.....

Once again, your information is wrong.

It is owned by the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Would be unavailable in the summer months.

I just wonder would the GAA (once Pairc Uí Caoimh and others are redeveloped) be willing to scatter match venues a bit more. The revenue they'd get from hosting European matches at their grounds for 3 weeks might justify moving some of the matches from Croke Park to more local grounds.

Dublin GAA fans would not be best pleased though.

Tom65 wrote: »
    Dublin GAA fans would not be best pleased though.

All fifty of them?

The rest jump on the bandwagon as soon as the "big games" come around. Fúck them assholes tbh.

I know of one group of Dublin "fans" who turned down tickets for the weekend's match because "it's only Louth".

Muppets.

Once again, your information is wrong.

It is owned by the GAA.

Once again? When have I ever posted a statement of fact that has been wrong?

The stadium is, the land it is on, is not.

This can be proven.

Once again? When have I ever posted a statement of fact that has been wrong?

The stadium is, the land it is on, is not.

This can be proven.

Yeah, I thought that alright. But if the stadium is property of GAA, they can do what they like with it, but not stuff on the land, but outside the stadium. So they arent really enforcing Rule 42 on publicly owned land are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

On Pairc Ui Caoimh, the stadium is located right in the heart of the Docklands re-development in Cork, ideally the GAA would sell the stadium & land to the authority who in turn would develop a brand new much needed large municipal stadium used by all, at least i think thats the plan. However i think the Cork GAA Board dislike elements of the plan namely the 'municipal' bit.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I thought that alright. But if the stadium is property of GAA, they can do what they like with it, but not stuff on the land, but outside the stadium. So they arent really enforcing Rule 42 on publicly owned land are they?

Yes, that is exactly what they are doing. The land is publically owned and all other sports are expressly prohibited from using the facility.

Yes, that is exactly what they are doing. The land is publically owned and all other sports are expressly prohibited from using the facility.

Well define what the stadium is? To me, its obviously where the fans are, but also within the entrance gates to the ground. So in regards this, I'm thinking there is the land as whole, big spaces, but then there is another fenced off area for the stadium. that is where I'd class the stadium as beginning, and thats the bit the GAA have, but from the inner fencing to the outer perimeter, well that'd be public land, and anything can be done there.

However, if there is no perimeter fencing around the stands, then the GAA are in the wrong, but if there is one in place, then there is no problem whatsoever.

InvincibleIrish, isnt the id to build a new place instead of Pairc ui Caoimh? God knows its needed anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

InvincibleIrish, isnt the id to build a new place instead of Pairc ui Caoimh? God knows its needed anyway.

Yep i think thats the idea, at least in the Docklands Authoritys mind would be, but theres an awful lot of Bureaucracy involved and Cork GAA are a prickly Conservative lot who would be pretty hostile to the possibility that a re developed PUC(Docklands bowl) owned by the local Authority and leased out could play host to other sports.

I think it would be great to have a landmark 30-40k stadium capable of hosting not just Munster Finals but Munster Rugby games & maybe a re-juvenated Cork City FC.

But realpolitik is at play, i guess Cork GAA and its well oiled connections in local politics will ensure some sweetheart deal will be provided to the detriment of the greater good, sure tis the way.

Yep i think thats the idea, at least in the Docklands Authoritys mind would be, but theres an awful lot of Bureaucracy involved and Cork GAA are a prickly Conservative lot who would be pretty hostile to the possibility that a re developed PUC(Docklands bowl) owned by the local Authority and leased out could play host to other sports.

I think it would be great to have a landmark 30-40k stadium capable of hosting not just Munster Finals but Munster Rugby games & maybe a re-juvenated Cork City FC.

But realpolitik is at play, i guess Cork GAA and its well oiled connections in local politics will ensure some sweetheart deal will be provided to the detriment of the greater good, sure tis the way.

Very true!

Few things I dont agree with on bit in bold are: 1)Would Munster want to play many gamesaway from Thomand? 2) Would a stadium that size not be a bit too big for a LoI side? 3) The thing with GAA pitches being so much bigger, I just dont think its a good idea to mix them all in one stadium.

Maybe thats just me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

A tabloid article with no sources that IIRC was denied as nonsense by UEFA, the FAI and the GAA? Is that all you have?

Seated CP is less than 60,000 and does not have any of the scanning equipment etc you are talking about. You hand your ticket and the guy lets you in.

Its a fine stadium, but compared to the Amsterdam ArenA or Allianz Stadium in Munich you can tell it was designed 20 years ago. The new Landsdowne Road will be a far superiour stadium.
    What a load of ****. There are 69,000 seats in croke park excluding the hill. When the seats are added there it's around 76,000

• Advertisement
Advertisement