Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scotland and Ireland for Euro 2012?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

fullstop wrote: »
    What a load of ****. There are 69,000 seats in croke park excluding the hill. When the seats are added there it's around 76,000

As I said earlier its far less than that for UEFA games, with the large advertising hoardings taking the first 3 rows out, and the various extra segragation needed that doesn't apply for GAA (or Ireland international) games.
    Its a great stadium, no-ones denying that, but GAA people need to stop comparing its capacity for a AllIreland with that of soccer grounds on CL Final nights. Its not comparing like with like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

As I said earlier its far less than that for UEFA games, with the large advertising hoardings taking the first 3 rows out, and the various extra segragation needed that doesn't apply for GAA (or Ireland international) games.
    Its a great stadium, no-ones denying that, but GAA people need to stop comparing its capacity for a AllIreland with that of soccer grounds on CL Final nights. Its not comparing like with like.
    I'm not a GAA person, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

DesF wrote: »
    ...is a Gah ground aswell [Pairc Ui Chaoimh].

Would be unavailable in the summer months.

And which bandwagon would the Thomand faithful jump on if the euros came to town?

With regards to the summer months, the Euros are usually in June and generally only last at max 4 weeks (when the amount of teams increases that is).

GAA only have games on Sundays during the championship, or the majority of them are. The stadiums are lying empty for the rest of the week. I'm sure if there is a joint bid with Scotland, they can cover the major games at weekends if it came to it.

Croke Park for the Dublin game against Louth this weekend was half-empty. There were 56,496 at the game (http://www.footballchampionship.gaa.ie/news/?page_id=23230). That's 25,000 down on max capacity. Do they actually need an 80,000 seater for this stage of the championship? Surely the Dubs could manage a trip to Clones or somewhere for a weekend or two?

Being realistic we need at least 4 stadiums.

Croke Park
    Lansdowne

we'll say for sake of argument that we have these 2 stadiums confirmed as available. We need two more at least.

My suggestions would be

Thomand Park (New development there looks nice, it would need to be at least 30,000 seater though)

Pairc Ui Chaoimh is due a major redevelopment works and it already has a decent capacity. Its around 35,000, although that does include terraces.

If either of these two aren't a 'goer' then we need to build a brand new stadium on a green-field site and I don't think Ireland has the need for another stadium with at least an all seater capacity of 30,000. Where would it go? Galway? Kerry? What would it be used for after the Euros?

It would be great to be a host for a major championship like the Euros or World Cup, but I just don't see it happening due to the stadium issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Upgrade Thomand Park to a 40k ground,and use Windsor Park and play as a United Ireland team.Problem solved.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Dub13 wrote: »
    Upgrade Thomand Park to a 40k ground,and use Windsor Park and play as a United Ireland team.Problem solved.;)

Windsor park would need a lot of work done to it. The two stands that you don't see much on tv are ancient and mostly made of wood. I don't think it would meet UEFA standards :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

GAA only have games on Sundays during the championship, or the majority of them are. The stadiums are lying empty for the rest of the week. I'm sure if there is a joint bid with Scotland, they can cover the major games at weekends if it came to it.
    UEFA will not allow the stadia to be used for any other purpose for the duration of the Euro Champs.

Look, the use of Gah grounds is infeasable. Unless the Gah are willing to give up the ground for the whole length of time UEFA need it for.
    Windsor park would need a lot of work done to it. The two stands that you don't see much on tv are ancient and mostly made of wood. I don't think it would meet UEFA standards :D

I was watching NI News on BBC last night.

Windsor is on it's last legs, and it's owners Linfield have asked that a decision on The maze be made sooner rather than later.

Windsor Park will be gone.

Advertisement