Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving in Europe

• 10-06-2008 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭

Anyone know what the licence requirements are for driving in France and Spain? My other half applied for his test at the beginning of October and has just been told he will not be called for his bike test before mid August, as applications for car tests have priority :mad: we are due to go to South of France at the beginning of July, needless to say he is not too happy :mad:

Comments

A full licence is required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

do you know what the penalty is if you are stopped on a provisional?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Other than licence requirments, you will need a left hand drive motorbike:pac:;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

wonderworm wrote: »

Provisional is nothing. No licence as a such... So you'd probably walk :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You would probably find your bike impounded and you dragged off to a cell at gunpoint. Not joking.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Yeah not worth trying on a provisional, but get onto the test centre and explain your situation. If you get talking to the right person theyll try and sort you out. JUst be ready to do a test wherever, whenever. Best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Goes something like this.

Vehicle stopped by Police
    No licence, insurance not valid
    Vehicle impounded
    Big fine on the spot (most of the time they take you to the ATM)
    Maybe jail time.

Definitely not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Although last year in france I saw only a couple of bike cops,spain has them all over the motorways,especially near the bigger cities,and their armed. Seriously though I wouldn't chance it.The motorways in france mostly have a speed limit of 130kph,when your doing that speed and being overtaken by trucks it's way too easy to let rip,not worth the risk in your case. In saying that the roads in france are excellent. Get your test quick.

dubtom wrote: »
    Although last year in france I saw only a couple of bike cops

Does that mean that bike cops stop bikes, car cops stop cars and truck cops stop trucks? :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You might get away with a Provisional for a slight incursion over the border into NI, thats as far as you would get. If you chanced going overt seas with it you could be stopped getting off the boat and made turn around.

• Advertisement

You might get away with a Provisional for a slight incursion over the border into NI, thats as far as you would get. If you chanced going overt seas with it you could be stopped getting off the boat and made turn around.

Even in NI the chances of the police letting you off with a warning would be very slim, they regard not having a licence as a serious offence for some strange reason :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hornswoggle

A provisional license is only valid within its jurisdiction of issue - defo not worth chancing it.

If you get caught without a valid licence on the contintent...your fooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

BlueBandit wrote: »
    Yeah not worth trying on a provisional, but get onto the test centre and explain your situation. If you get talking to the right person theyll try and sort you out. JUst be ready to do a test wherever, whenever. Best of luck with it

Tried that, they told him that no-one is being called for a test in Gorey, Arklow or Wicklow unti mid July at the earliest. With the new rules coming into force for motorists, the priority is to get their tests done. He might "possibly" get a cancellation "somewhere" in Ireland with a half days notice but unfortunately, we have to work for a living and so would not be able to travel from Wexford to say Donegal with such short notice. What is really annoying about the whole thing is that he contacted them at the end of April telling them he needed the licence for travelling to France at the end of June and they told him to change the venue from Wicklow to Gorey as it would be quicker. :mad: If they had been honest at the beginning he could have changed the centre to somewhere he had some hope of being called to take the test quickly. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,676 ✭✭✭mondeo

How much more difficult is a bike test then a car test? I applied for my bike test this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

mondeo wrote: »
    How much more difficult is a bike test then a car test? I applied for my bike test this morning.
    The bike test is easier by far and it has a much higher pass rate to prove it. My instructor reckoned 80% pass rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Tried that, they told him that no-one is being called for a test in Gorey, Arklow or Wicklow unti mid July at the earliest. With the new rules coming into force for motorists, the priority is to get their tests done. He might "possibly" get a cancellation "somewhere" in Ireland with a half days notice but unfortunately, we have to work for a living and so would not be able to travel from Wexford to say Donegal with such short notice. What is really annoying about the whole thing is that he contacted them at the end of April telling them he needed the licence for travelling to France at the end of June and they told him to change the venue from Wicklow to Gorey as it would be quicker. :mad: If they had been honest at the beginning he could have changed the centre to somewhere he had some hope of being called to take the test quickly. :mad:

I know they are doing bike tests in Raheny at the moment if thats any use. My experience is just to keep at them and theyll come up with something. Poxy thing top have your holiday resting on though

murphaph wrote: »
    The bike test is easier by far and it has a much higher pass rate to prove it. My instructor reckoned 80% pass rate.

That doesn't mean the test is easier. We all know how bad the average Irish car driver is, they wouldn't last long on a bike...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I just found the bike test very easy compared to my car one. The manouevres are much easier on 2 wheels. 1 pre-test compared to lessons for the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

mondeo wrote: »

Try driving a car on two wheels :D

murphaph wrote: »
    I just found the bike test very easy compared to my car one. The manouevres are much easier on 2 wheels. 1 pre-test compared to lessons for the car.

True there's no reversing around a corner, but how many people fail on that alone, unless they show a dangerous lack of control which should be a fail anyway.

The three-point-turn in a car is a lot easier imho than the turnabout on a bike.

I find it much more natural to be riding a bike than driving a car, but I spend a lot more time and cover a lot more miles on the bike. The all-round visibility on a bike is a lot better, merging at badly designed roadworks slip roads (Red Cow N7 inbound I'm looking at you) is easier.

I think the real reason so many people fail the car test is because they are badly prepared. There is no real incentive to pass the test for many of them. But a lot of riders want to pass because insurance is a lot cheaper, they can go abroad legally and carry a pillion legally. The damn tabards are another strong incentive!

BTW I still have not seen a single rider wearing an L tabard... we get lots of stupid laws in this country but at least most people have the sense to ignore the most stupid ones :)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

OP - I'd contact your local minister to see if they could arrange something, afterall they get passports for other people and write letters to get sentences reduced you should get them to do something for you and then contact someone higher if you have no success. Keep annoying the Transport Minister with letters.
    You should also argue the case that you applied so long ago and told them you needed it, they publicise that the waiting list is 6 weeks but doesn't specify that its for a car only. The reason they are prioritising cars is because its in the media, so go to Joe Duffy and highlight the injustice and discrimination shown towards bikers if all else fails.

Best of luck,
    Keith

Advertisement