Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet-X Dura Ace or Ridley Orion Ultegra?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Decided to get rid of my Giant, the frame was a bit too big and even after some stem adjustment and saddle shifting, I was still reaching a lot and giving my back and neck grief even on shorter spins.

So, my vitals. I'm a guy, 5'9" (and a half!) and I measured my inseam as 31". I was looking for a long time at the planet-x deal. It looks pretty fantastic but I'm skeptical about buying off the internet and not really up for a trip to Antrim.

My friend is trying to get me to buy the Ridley Orion, on sale in cycleogical for 1800 euro. I really like the frame, even if the groupset is a few steps down from the planet-x while costing about 400 more.

Arrgghh, what to do?? If anyone with a P-x is as generous as Raam and wouldn't mind meeting up and helping me judge the size (I was thinking medium all round?) it would be swell! Also, I tend to be swayed by opinion and have been lurking here long enough to know a lot of lads here know way to much about bikes so I tend to go with what they say :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Focus Cayo. Get it off Wiggle... they look to be top bikes -but then I'm rapidly turning into a Focus fanboy... Blorg has the Cayo, and it's spiffy!

Only about 1300 too, with ultegra all round!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Cayo is back down to £999 on Wiggle now and you would be welcome to try mine out for a spin although I reckon it would be too big for you (it's 58cm, and it's marginal for me at 6ft.) It's a very nice bike, seems very stiff, light and fast but maybe doesn't smooth the road out quite as much as I was expecting from a carbon frame.

Personally I would be tempted by the Planet X at the £999 price point too though. Someone else on here has one (not user Planet X!) and reckons it is a very good bike, and you only hear good things about them.

The Ridley is a bigger "name brand" than either with ProTour sponsorship etc etc and there are advantages to buying from a local bike shop. No personal experience but the Orion gets excellent reviews: 1 2 with top marks for comfort in particular. What components does the one in Cycleogical come with? Is it 105? Remember as well that you can always upgrade components on a good frame (although it is generally cheaper to get what you want when buying the bike.)

Make sure with whatever you get that you get the gearing that you want/need.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Yeah its a 105/Ultegra mix. I'm not such an amazing cyclist that I would need top end components. However, the planetX is tempting seeing its in the price range I'm looking at. I really like the Ridley's, would I be wrong to assume that its a frame I might keep for a good while longer than the planetx and upgrade as necessary?

Also, as I learned with my SCR, a perfect fit is better than the best components. Sounds like I'm making my mind up here. I'll see if any planet x owners reply first. The focus is nice, but if I ordered online at that price I think I would just get the planet x instead.

Cheers for the advice lads, hopefully I'll have something for some saturday spins anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Hi Dirk, good to see you on Sunday. Thank your friend who lent me his track pump in the car park, although he didn't seem to pleased at the time.

Don't discount the Focus. It really does get top notch reviews and everyone I've spoken to who owns one is well happy with it. Having said this is there any chance you can trade in your Giant against the Ridley in Cyclelogical? Buying from your LBS does have it's advantages but I never fell like I've gotten a good deal after parting with my money.

Good to see you too Hungrycol, that was "Mr.X", don't worry he was just in a hurry to "Can't list any personal information here".

He's actually the guy throwing the Ridley at me, I'm tempted to head in now and check it out. I'll keep the focus in mind, I'm not gonna make any rushed decisions on this, as it will probably be my bike for the next decade hopefully.

I sold the SCR to a mate, still waiting for payment, but I got a good deal as I bought it new from UCD bike shop for €675 last may.

EDIT: Mr.X does not like to be named on the internet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The Ridley's are alright, I see a couple of them at the local league races, one of our A's uses that exact one as a training bike. But I can't see a justification for the higher cost. They may be a pro bike but I have heard of more issues with Ridleys than with most in the pro peleton, a couple of years ago there were quality problems (which I hear are sorted now to be fair).

I reckon its between the planet X and the focus. I have a soft spot for Planet X having gotten good service from them in the past, I have sat on one in the past as well, fine looking bike, light, well made (aren't they an older model Giant ?). The price is right too. One of the leisure cyclists in the club rides the Focus and he loves it, seems decent too. I expect the planet x is a bit lighter but it all depends what you are looking for.

At your height you will want a size M in the planet X. And a 54 or 56 in the other two (I would go for 54 because I like a smaller sportier fit).

Yeah i was thinking of leaning towards the smaller fit, I mean a 54 will still be a good fit, not tiny, but i definitely dont want to be stretching. It won't be used for commuting in any capacity anyway. Cheers lads, sorry to hear that about the Ridley Quigs, I read some decent reviews but I think you're right, I can't really justify the extra 400 bills.

They are all good frames, I don't think the Ridley would be any _more_ upgrade worthy. The Planet X has a reputation for being light although I suspect this is largely down to the wheels- their in house "Model B" wheels are much lighter (1570g) than you will generally get on an entry level carbon bike (you would generally be looking around the 1850-2000g mark.)

Pan1 has one- maybe PM him. Also marathonic.

Quigs- is your Pedalforce frame not the same frame as the Planet X?

Cool, I'm gonna pop into cycleogical tmw and have a look at the Ridley. It's probably more than I'm willing to spend. I'll PM those lads then.

On another thread here a lad was saying he was told not to get the white P-X because the lacquer is not very resistant to chips and scuffs. Would be fairly disappointed if that were true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Hi, the Pedalforce is difference to the planetx - The planet X felt nicer to me, maybe not quite as light but a nice feel (although the pedalforce TT and planetx TT are one and the same).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Hay Dirkvoodoo here's a small thread on a problem a guy in Co. Down is having on ordering his PlanetX bike. Thought it might interest you.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12572566

Ooh! Good spot Hungrycol.

I'm checkin out Pan's on saturday hopefully, and gonna pop into town tomorrow for a haircut/view the ridley(not in the one place).

Still keepin the focus in the equation. As of now I have no bike which is fairly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭hollywoodhoppy

Hey lads, i was in the same situation as yourself there a couple of weeks back, ended up gettin the Planet X after some great help from the guys in this forum(thanks for that by the way Blorg and company), i cant recommend this bike enough, got the black one because the blue one i really wanted was out of stock. Turned up to a local cycling meet there weekend before last and i was quizzed from all angles about it, i think the guy that owns the local bike shop is still looking at it, he had some breed of a carbon ridley!! You wont get a better bike with carbon and dura ace groupset for that kind of money!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    As of now I have no bike which is fairly annoying.
    What happened to the one you did the W200 on!? Did you sell it on already? You have to be careful with that sort of thing, I was down to only one bike myself at one point earlier this year and that was close enough for me, an experience I don't want to repeat! Back up to a happy four now.

As to advice if you want something sooner:

Wiggle will deliver very quickly, probably within a couple of days, if the bike is in stock. It will come in complete "ready to ride" condition. If the bike is not in stock though all bets are off; I had another Focus on order from them for a month before I finally got sick of waiting, cancelled, and ordered the Cayo. It was in stock and arrived within two days.

Note on the bikeradar forum this is someone trying to get a Planet X through his local bike shop (as far as I can make out) - I don't know if this makes a difference. Planet X are not as fast as Wiggle (as they build to order) but get the impression that they turn them around sharpish enough _in general_ (you may be unlucky.) You CAN pay £100 extra for a next day build and despatch, but that is nuts (unless you really needed it for an event, etc.)

Yeah, I sold the old girl on. I sold it to a mate before the wicklow 200, as i missed the cut off. But when i picked up an unwanted registration, he let me keep the bike for the day (would have been awkward otherwise, maybe a "holy grail" type imaginary bike). So, its gone now. I ordered a felt dispatch off wiggle, its been dispatched today, so hopefully have it soon. That'll be for the commuting.

Once I have a commuter I can wait for the racer, dont intend on doing much for the next 2 weeks anyway.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Have to say it would be the Cayo for me, lovely spec and great reviews by all.
    However have you done a good search for 2007 sale bikes as well in uk?

I had same decision as you last year and ended up with a spesh allez expert with full ultegra as below for same price as a cayo or planet x.

Not saying it is any better but at same price you may find something you like in a uk shop as last one left or something.

07Specialized_AllezExpert_full.JPG

Well, I am weak and I may regret it, but for now I am happy.

I walked into cycleogical to have a look at the Ridley and couldn't help myself. Its more bike than I need if I'm honest, so I'm hoping it will last me a LONG time so I can justify the cost.

Thanks for all the help guys, I hope I didn't come across as a lost cause from the get-go.

See you next saturday maybe for a spin!

Well done, best to just bite the bullet especially if you were in danger of not having a bike for the weekend! You won't be disappointed with the Ridley, that's for sure.

It'll be a great bike, and now you can get treated to the service department of one of the best shops seeing as you're a customer -bet you'll get treated better in there from now on too :)

Thanks lads.

I did feel like I was walking into the bicycle equivalent of some snooty french restaurant when I went in there first. Was dealing with some young lad Colin who was sound and more than happy to chat about bikes. Thankfully I memorized a few things off the internet so I sounded like I knew what I was talking about.

Might not have it in time for this saturday, but I'm definitely gonna get more serious about saturday mornings.

• Advertisement

Just picked it up there, really nice bike!

One thing I'm concerned with, when I ordered it I asked for a Shimano crank to be put on, they said fine and we'll do it for free. Then it was "oh wait, make that 50 euro". I was a bit miffed but thought ok so.

Anyway, have it here in my office and the crankarm just says "Shimano" no ultegra, no tiagra, nothin! So I looked up some pictures and I believe I have this Shimano R700

I don't know what the performance gain will be, or how much weight I'm shaving off, but I'm just annoyed by the principle of the matter. I asked for an Ultegra and I didn't get Ultegra fitted, nor an explanation as to why this was. I'm not going so far as to say I was deceived, but I think its close. It could have been a mistake on their part I suppose. Anyway, would you guys go back to cycleogical and make an issue of this or just leave it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I'd go back - definitely.
    Just picked it up there, really nice bike!

One thing I'm concerned with, when I ordered it I asked for a Shimano crank to be put on, they said fine and we'll do it for free. Then it was "oh wait, make that 50 euro". I was a bit miffed but thought ok so.

Anyway, have it here in my office and the crankarm just says "Shimano" no ultegra, no tiagra, nothin! So I looked up some pictures and I believe I have this Shimano R700

I don't know what the performance gain will be, or how much weight I'm shaving off, but I'm just annoyed by the principle of the matter. I asked for an Ultegra and I didn't get Ultegra fitted, nor an explanation as to why this was. I'm not going so far as to say I was deceived, but I think its close. It could have been a mistake on their part I suppose. Anyway, would you guys go back to cycleogical and make an issue of this or just leave it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Did you remind them that they said they'd do it for nothing? I'd be a bit ticked off about this if it happened to me.

Anyway, have it here in my office and the crankarm just says "Shimano" no ultegra, no tiagra, nothin! So I looked up some pictures and I believe I have this Shimano R700. I don't know what the performance gain will be, or how much weight I'm shaving off, but I'm just annoyed by the principle of the matter. I asked for an Ultegra and I didn't get Ultegra fitted, nor an explanation as to why this was. I'm not going so far as to say I was deceived, but I think its close.

This might be less of an issue than you think it is. Shimano didn't have compact cranks for their group sets for a long time, then brought in a couple that weren't branded as part of any group set. As far as I can recall the R700 was the lightest one and was regarded as Ultegra level. So there is no compact crank for Ultegra.

To complicate things a little more, the new Ultegra SL groupset (the dark grey one) was the first to come with its own compact crank, so if it was that groupset you were looking for, then yes, I'd kick up a stink.

Oh, and post some pics when you get a chance. We all love checking out eachother's new bikes.

Yeah, I'm a pretty bad customer, as in I tend not to catch those things. I did think it was odd, but they also changed the Fulcrum 7s to Mavik Ksyriums for nothing (well, included in the 50 euro I guess).

I also couldn't haggle the price much for paying in cash, but I guess the bike had been reduced as low as they could go.

Thanks for the info on that tonto, as long as they are not inferior then I guess its ok. The rest of the bike is ultegra with a 105 cassette.

Pics will be up when I get home, along with a felt dispatch which arrived today :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

According to this review - http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/news/article/mps/UAN/820/v/1/sp/ - the FC-R700 does not carry a specific component group logo so as to combine with any of Shimano's 10-speed groups.
    Hope this helps.

Genealogy Forum Mod

agree with the above the 700 would be pretty much the ultegra compact crankset.

Going by some very scientific internet work (good ol probikekit), it would appear that there is an Ultegra Crank that says Ultegra on it, and the R700 which doesn't. However, the R700 is more expensive, which means it must be comparable! :)

Looks like they ain't done you over though

Phew!

*Dirk sighs with relief while thanking the incredible deductive powers of the boards cycling forum*

Going by some very scientific internet work (good ol probikekit), it would appear that there is an Ultegra Crank that says Ultegra on it, and the R700 which doesn't. However, the R700 is more expensive, which means it must be comparable! :)

Looks like they ain't done you over though

ah ok, I guess there is an ultegra compact now, but there wasn't when the 700 came out afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Weird. It wasn't on the Shimano website.

Advertisement