Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet-X Dura Ace or Ridley Orion Ultegra?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I only knew cos I was looking at them last night! For reasons of pure snobbery I'm looking at getting the Ultegra SL crank and bottom bracket to make my bike 100% Ultegra, and happened across the standard Ultegra

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Upgraditis strikes again!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

el tonto wrote: »
    Weird. It wasn't on the Shimano website.

possibly the 700 is not made anymore now that the have an ultegra compact?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Upgraditis strikes again!

TEll me about it... though I will admit I kind of like the irony in my cranks having a proud "powered by SRAM" emblazoned on them when the rest is Ultegra! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Some people (including PBK above) say the R700 is "Dura-Ace quality", others say it is "Ultegra quality." In general Dura-Ace stuff starts with a 7 and Ultegra with a 6 so make what you will of that. Some people say it's Dura-Ace quality at an Ultegra price.

These chainsets exist as Shimano didn't include compact chainsets in their groupsets until recently.

Up to last year, if you asked for an "Ultegra compact" this is what you would get (actually arguably you would have even got the R600 chainset.) So I don't think you were done.

If they swapped Fulcrum Racing 7s for Ksyriums (not Aksiums?) that was a very good deal you got, even Ksyrium Equipes (the cheapest) are significantly more expensive than Fulcrum 7s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

My bad, they are indeed aksium. I could have sworn he said ksyrium. Probably shud have got a list of the upgrades written on the invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Even still. I'd go for the Aksium's over the F7's given the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Guys, passed cycleogical today and saw a for sale sign.
    The Ridley Orion mentioned here is on sale with full ultegra groupset.

Q: Anyone have one - i think from reading posts that DirkVodoo may have bought one?
    If so, what is it like. Pros and Cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

yes i think DirkVoodoo did buy one IIRC he had it at the sean kelly tour

I did indeed buy it and am very happy with it. Possibly better riders here may be able to give you more insightful comments, as I feel a bit like a 70 year old pensioner driving a 911 turbo.

Its a fantastic bike, the frame is super stiff and since its on sale in cycleogical, you get the complete bike for the price of the frame. I had the cranks switched to a compact double, so far I have not run out of gears at either end.

The finishing kit is fairly decent, although the standard 4ZA saddle is a little on the harsh side and probably not on a par with the better makes like Selle Italia. It is probably the one upgrade I will be making.

Make sure you get the right frame size. I was told a medium would fit me, which it probably would for most bikes, but brought it back after a few days to get the small.

On a side note: Beware cycleogical! I throught first "Shower of ****ers!", but changed to "decent blokes" after they let me swap without hassle. However after getting the bike back from its "tune up" I have gone back to my original assessment. The chain was LITERALLY dripping lucricant everywhere, and one of the problems I mentioned about the crank not being torqued properly had not been corrected. Also, I shredded my bar tape in an earlier spin and they asked could they change it. I agreed, not asking for a price but not being given one either (more fool me on this point I suppose). When I went in I was charged 20 euro for the tape job! Its only standard tape which I could pick up for half that price on wiggle. Also, I always find that they are not that attentive, almost distracted, when you are trying to deal with them. Its a bit annoying that you have spent all this money on a bike and they treat you like you're in the way.

Anyway, enough ranting, its a great bike and fantastic value at the price (1800 is it?). Just consider servicing it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thanks DirkV.

I really would prefer to buy after Xmas, but with sale on. If I do get it will probably get a triple set, rather than compact - they said that can be done.
    Thanks for advice. If you feel like 70 year old on it, then I will probably be ridiculous altogether. However I can justify to myself be saying that i cycle so much now that i absolutely need a bike for commuting and a bike for spins.

Yeah, I felt the same way as you. Its nice to have a bike for taking a few knocks around town and one that can be treated with an almost unhealthy amount of affection because it is your "weekend" bike.

Mine was inside until my folks insisted I put it in the garage. They can only keep us apart for so long :pac:

Advertisement