Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

220v or 110v

• 10-06-2008 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

I'm getting some new power tools shortly for working on cars, welding projects and general diy.

What voltage should I use. I'm not going to be working on a building site but there may be times when I'm using them outside if it's wet and damp. I wouldn't use them when it's raining though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

When you say "DIY" I assume that means you'll be using the tools at home, where you have a 220volt supply. To use 110volts you will then need a transformer, and they genrally only have a couple of socket outlets, so you won't be able to plug in more than two tools at a time. If you stick to 220 volt tools you will be able to plug in as many as you want (within reason obviously). Modern 220 volt tools are made to a very high standard of insulation and are perfectly safe, but if you are in any doubt buy an RCD (residual current device) and use a multi socket extension off that. The if anything happens to a tool the RCD will trip instantly and save you a shocking experience:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if for home use go 220, i have a 110V sds drill and it is a pain in the ass having to lug out a transformer every time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

there are advantages when using 110V, with the tapping on the traffo the voltage between it and ground is only 55V +/-.

but the traffos are a pain, and sometimes more expensive, and some welding units require a larger supply with no RCD protection and high current.

Its up to yourself, all above adivce is good, but the 110V is safer so keep that in mind.

Advertisement