Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail (Fridays 17:50 Dublin - Galway)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I must admit my reasoning is a somewhat selfish one. I travel to football matches on Friday nights. The games finish at 9:30 making it impossible to use the train as transport as I can't get home the same night. I know for sure that if later trains were in place we would have know problem filling these trains, if we could return the same night. There are 12 teams in the eircom league premier and I think IR is missing out big time on revenue from these people.

Having said that, I know only too well that the drivers have enough difficulty operating the current timetable without introducing new services.

Btw, VERY unfair to compare Dublin with London I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

KC61 wrote: »
    Well that's great to know, I must try to get through the locked gates at all of the underground stations at 4am next time I'm in London!

Last tubes from central London are all about 00:30, and 23:30 on Sunday.

There are some late commuter heavy rail services around the same time.

They do however have a large number of 24 hour bus routes.

Sorry must have got the buses mixed with the tubes. :o
    fh041205 wrote: »
    I must admit my reasoning is a somewhat selfish one. I travel to football matches on Friday nights. The games finish at 9:30 making it impossible to use the train as transport as I can't get home the same night. I know for sure that if later trains were in place we would have know problem filling these trains, if we could return the same night. There are 12 teams in the eircom league premier and I think IR is missing out big time on revenue from these people.

Having said that, I know only too well that the drivers have enough difficulty operating the current timetable without introducing new services.

Btw, VERY unfair to compare Dublin with London I think.

I know its unfair to compare Dublin with London but tbh thats the standard we should be aspiring to.
    Good idea re the LOI matches, unfortunatley I doubt the barstoolers will get up in significant numbers to make that viable (I know I'm opening a can of worms here :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,366 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm not sure if planning a railway system around sport or other events is a good idea, not only would the passenger numbers be fickle, but crowd control can be a problem also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Victor wrote: »
    I'm not sure if planning a railway system around sport or other events is a good idea, not only would the passenger numbers be fickle, but crowd control can be a problem also.

True but a few extra trains for the bigger concerts near the rail lines would be nice. I'm talking about the concerts in Croker RDS Malahide etc. I think they laid on a few extra Darts but tbh that isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭markpb

It's amazing how other countries manage to deal with it. Old Trafford has it's own train station and it's own tram station. On normal days, they're closed. On match days, the ROC provide staff to manage crowd levels and simply close the station doors when the platform is full. Like chalk noticeboards outside tube stations, sometimes the simplest solutions are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Unfortunately I must agree with you there. When you start dealing with Dublin clubs (2 in particular) its very dangerous territory. But elsewhere I think its worthwhile. Crowds are no problem for a lot of clubs. I know this used to be done in the 70's and 80's and it would be nice to do it again. There aren't enough trains or drivers though.

Advertisement