Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If WWE could sign 1 person....

• 10-06-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Inspired I guess by Bryan Danielson's dark match last night.

If WWE could sign 1 person, who would you like it to be and why?

I'll go with someone a little different and go with Mauro Ranallo. For those that don't know him, he's a fairly well known MMA commentator whose currently working for Elite XC amongst others.

He originally started his career doing pro-wrestling commentary and for me he just has an awesome style. He just captures the drama of fights really well and his enthusiasm is infectious.

WWE probably wouldn't let him be himself but to me, he would do a fantastic job.

For anyone whose never heard him here's a 2 minute clip of him commentating the Tank Abott/Kimbo Slice fight. It's well worth watching.

http://www.mmatko.com/kimbo-slice-vs-tank-abbott-fight-video-elitexc-street-certified/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

christian-cage-instant-classic-wallpaper-preview.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

DRakE wrote: »

That would be a no, i believe. If they really wanted to keep him, they wouldn't have lowballed him. :)

VR!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

:confused:

If one wrestler would be booked to their strengths Id pick someone out of Danielson, Morishima or Jack Evans.

Larry Sweeney would take to WWE like a duck to water, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Haha, Danielson beat Cade! I didn't know about that. How many unsigned guys ever beat a wrestler who's actually getting a push?

Mauro would be great. He's a very good MMA commentator, my favourite one. I've never heard him call a wrestling match but he obviously knows a lot about wrestling and often treats MMA as a sort of wrestling show (not in a bad way)

In an ideal world, I'd say Larry Sweeney. The guy's great on the mic, really funny and a very good manager. The problem is that WWE would have to feed him his lines and that would probably kill a lot of his personality. Still, if they could have him on at his best then he'd be a great guy to have. He very rarely doesn't entertain me and I look forward to seeing him. If WWE ever got a heel stable going that needed a mouthpiece Larry would be perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I think alot of people would want to see Christian back, his star has risen since he left.

Personally, I'd like to see AJ Styles or Christopher Daniels there if they decided to relaunch the cruiserweight division, a division with one of those two, Rey, Helms and Chavo would be worth watching

Also, I think James Storm would be a great way to reignite a tag division by re-uniting him with Chris Harris. An AMW feud with the Miz and Morrison would be great.

Also, Sting would have a lot of untapped feuds if he joined. HBK, HHH, Cena, Edge, Taker

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    Haha, Danielson beat Cade! I didn't know about that. How many unsigned guys ever beat a wrestler who's actually getting a push?

There has been a few, do I care to name anyone, no. LOL
    In an ideal world, I'd say Larry Sweeney. The guy's great on the mic, really funny and a very good manager. The problem is that WWE would have to feed him his lines and that would probably kill a lot of his personality.

Really good point they are over-scripting Santino recently making his gimmick and **** ups less subtle. The same thing happen with Maria's ditzy gimmick.

Christian, to this day still does nothing for me at all.

Chris Harris is a waste of space though. He's just too bland and his in ring work is good without being great. Storm's finally hit the main event picture in TNA, so i'd like to see him hopefully benefit from it.

Sting would be awesome in WWE, even past his prime. But i wouldn't hold my breath on that one. I do agree with you with Styles and Daniels feuding with existing cruiserweights, but is Helms anywhere near return to the ring ready at this stage? Actually i changed my mind on Daniels, i'm enjoying Curry Man :D

VR!

Christian, to this day still does nothing for me at all.

Exactly

Why do you need Christian when you have Jericho and Edge among others? He is hardly going to change the complexion of a roster isnt he?

Personally speaking, I've always felt that Christian is a much better face than the two of them. Never liked Edge as a face that much and the only time I've enjoyed a Jericho face run was when he had Steph to play off

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Personally speaking, I've always felt that Christian is a much better face than the two of them.

Christain was a massive flop as a face Champion in TNA. The only time Edge flopped as a face is when he came back looking like HHH mark 2 after his neck surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

sting probably

Funny thing about Mauro is he is actually a great person. But i cant stand his commontary basiaclly because its a put on voice. Its not natural .

I think if Christian was better in WWE then he was in TNA . Not a fan of his wrestling but his comedy was great. WWE doesnt know how to book him though. He is actually a big guy but comes accross as small on TV .

I like the idea of Sting but the problem is he is not a character Vince has come up with. If Vince didnt create him dont expect much of a push behind him.

Honestly there are great wrestlers out there .but i dont want them to go to WWe incase they are being ruined .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

samao joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Funny thing about Mauro is he is actually a great person. But i cant stand his commontary basiaclly because its a put on voice. Its not natural .

I think if Christian was better in WWE then he was in TNA . Not a fan of his wrestling but his comedy was great. WWE doesnt know how to book him though. He is actually a big guy but comes accross as small on TV .

I like the idea of Sting but the problem is he is not a character Vince has come up with. If Vince didnt create him dont expect much of a push behind him.

Honestly there are great wrestlers out there .but i dont want them to go to WWe incase they are being ruined .

Yeah I hear that, they have Matt Sydal now, who was Matt Sydal last week but is now Evan Bourne all of a sudden hopefully they dont bury him as he is a talented wrestler, God help Danielson if they signed him he'd probably be the American Dragon Jake Long

american_dragon_jake_long-show.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I've heard people say that before and I guess I can see that. To me though, whether is voice is natural or not, it's the genuine passion he brings to the stuff he is calling that makes him good.

I know what you mean, I thought that when I first heard him. But he speaks the same way on his radio show every day and in any interviews that he does

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4oJsSnmGkw

He's talking to people normally in that video (funny video by the way) and it's just the way he speaks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

eddy guerrero

^^^^
    Knob!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

That would be a no, i believe. If they really wanted to keep him, they wouldn't have lowballed him. :)

VR!

Yeah but the thread was who would you like to see back.. i'd explode if Christian came back :eek:

Yeah but the thread was who would you like to see back.. i'd explode if Christian came back :eek:

Actually i thought the thread if they could sign one person, that doesn't particularly mean the return of a former employee. ;)

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Actually i thought the thread if they could sign one person, that doesn't particularly mean the return of a former employee. ;)

VR!

Hmm...former employee you say...how about Undertaker VR!? That'd really piss you off!!!:D

brolly wrote: »
    Hmm...former employee you say...how about Undertaker VR!? That'd really piss you off!!!:D

Undertaker is a former employee? I'd place a safe bet he's still on the payroll.
    VR!

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Undertaker is a former employee? I'd place a safe bet he's still on the payroll.
    VR!

Well, if we were to believe the WWE then he most certainly would be!:rolleyes:

brolly wrote: »
    Well, if we were to believe the WWE then he most certainly would be!:rolleyes:

If i was to believe the WWE, i would have celebrated in 1994 when he "died" at the Royal Rumble.

Sadly, i was 18 at the time that took place, and not as impressionable then.
    VR!

32? No wonder you don't like Cena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

+1 for Sting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Rock. Won't happen though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I think this question was used in one of the early ATH, and the answer I gave then is still the one I would go with: Tito Ortiz. Right now the WWE is struggling for ratings, and thus, the reason I would choose Tito is because I think he could (if brought in and given a long sustaied program) could help improve the ratings.

MMA for the last 2-3 years has been growing massively in the mainstream, and the recent Elite show was a prime example of this. Couture and Liddell aside, Tito is probably MMA's biggest household name (and tbh I think the most natural of the 3 for a role in Pro Wrestling), and presently a free agent. He is also a great talker, really understands the physcology of building and promoting a fight, and has that natural heel look and quality about him that is so hard to replicate.

It is clear to see that the WWE and Vince are desperately reaching out to both old viewers and the mainstream public with this million dollar give away stuff. Bringing Tito in would achieve this far more effectively imo.

Finally, whilst the WWE may not be interested with the emphasis on family viewing as of late, and wrestling traditionalist would probably baulk, there is the Jenna Jameson factor. Wherever Tito goes, Jenna goes, and she is arguably an even bigger star than he is. She is massive in the states. If WWE was willing to push the envelope, and had some decent writers, they could really capitalise on her presence also, probably getting two for the price of one as a result of bringing Tito in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Damien Demento?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Shaneomac wrote: »
    Damien Demento?

Random indy names, O.K : Alter Boy Luke

Demento's not really a random indy name, he was in the main event of the first Raw. He's been making videos of himself giving out about WWE I think, I've never watched any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Shaneomac

Jushin Liger could be great if wwe ever establish a decent cruiserweight/lightheavyweight division but will probably never happen though.

Shaneomac wrote: »
    Jushin Liger could be great if wwe ever establish a decent cruiserweight/lightheavyweight division but will probably never happen though.

No, have you seen him wrestle in the past ten years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭gm1984

This post has been deleted.

rovert wrote: »
    No, have you seen him wrestle in the past ten years?

Liger's as great as ever! He doesn't do nearly as much high-flying stuff now but he's made up for that in other areas

• Advertisement

Liger's as great as ever! He doesn't do nearly as much high-flying stuff now but he's made up for that in other areas

I agree but meh Ultimo Dragon hardly got a look in did he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I would like to see Giant Bernard back at WWE ... apparently he's improved a good deal in the ring while in Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

giant bernard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

ec18 wrote: »
    giant bernard?

Prince Albert - ATrain - Giant Bernard

And yes he has imporved in the ring. Think he is on to a good thing in Japan though so not sure he would return. He would certainly make a better mid card monster than Snitsky and co but he would never make it above that level in WWE.

Nigel McGuinness- Total pro!

• Advertisement

EdK wrote: »
    Nigel McGuinness- Total pro!

You may get your wish in TNA.

He said the other night he knows nothing about going to TNA anytime soon but then said he is always the last to know, Raven said TNA would be stupid not to sign him

So he was playing it down but i'd say it could be a possibility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Nigel could be good in WWE but I'd rather see them going for Castagnoli. I know they tried last year and there was "visa" problems but I think he would be great in a midcard role in WWE.

Any more news on Danielson? I know he beat Cade in a dark match and now Raw
    Cade is on the main event in Raw :eek:, well, teaming up with Jericho, but whatever.
    I'd love to see him sign and get used properly. They need someone like him to fill the Benoit sized hole in the roster.

Smackdown needs Cabana too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

+1 for Claudio

Chris Hero should also get signed. I only recently got into ROH & CZW but this guy has impressed me.

Double C wrote: »
    Any more news on Danielson?

EVERYONE was very, very high on him backstage including HBK, JR and others. Size is seen of less of an requirement than it has been for a long, long time. ROH, WWE and Danielson have been very quiet on his contactual status with ROH. Many say that if WWE decide to take him there is no way ROH will bot contest it in court. It is just very wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭dez_warlock

Yeah, JR also said in his latest blog that WWE should look into subsidising ROH as it's proving to be a great breeding ground for new talent.

Yeah, JR also said in his latest blog that WWE should look into subsidising ROH as it's proving to be a great breeding ground for new talent.

Its better than FCW in fairness, JR used to be head of talent relations. He knows what a **** job Johnny Ace is doing.

rovert wrote: »
    Its better than FCW in fairness, JR used to be head of talent relations. He knows what a **** job Johnny Ace is doing.

I can't disagree here, since Johnny Ace took over that job in 2004, look at the horrible excuses for talent he signed up, Mark Jindrak, Heidenreich, Jesús, and Luther Reigns within months of his hiring.

Anyone with half a brain would have pulled the plug on him, but four years on, and he's managed to work his way from then VP of Talent Relations to Senior VP of Talent Relations.

Yep, there is no god.
    VR!

Mark Jindrak, Heidenreich, Jesús, and Luther Reigns

Versus Hardyz, Edge, Christain and Kurt Angle to name a few. Ace is a total gimp.

Pity that Chris Hero has the look of a 12 year old boy hindering him

• Advertisement
Advertisement