Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ideas for Courgette and Aubergine?

• 10-06-2008 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi Anybody have any tasty suggestions for Aubergine, Courgette and Pepper? I normally just roast them with olive oil but kind of sick of it now.:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

That list immediately suggest ratatouille to me. For recipes, try http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=recipe+ratatouille&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ClassicDisaster

damn, i was going to sugest that! Well, another posibility would be a pasta dish, blanch the vege, and add to pasta with some cream, cream cheese, and parmesan or pecorino. mabie no peppers though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Cut thin slices, rub them with some garlic, drizzy them with oilive oil, put some white chedar on top and bake them in the oven.

Courgettes are lovely in stir frys and the likes of corgette kroma.

Take a large Aubergine/egg plant cut it in half, scoop out a lot of the flesh and stuff with
    herbs and/or meat and/mushroom and bake in the oven top with cheese and leave to melt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Maybe Moussaka? I don't like mediterranen vegetables but my mum is a big fan. Traditionally it only has aubergines in it but I know she adds courgette too.

Here's a random recipe you could take a look at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/moussaka_70308.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Cook the pepper the same as aubergine & courgette Vegetarian moussake. You can leave the potato out and serve with couscous

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Use the aubergine to make Parmigiana di Melanzane. Layers of aubergine and mozzerella in a tomato sauce topped with parmaesan. Slice the aubergine and drizzle with olive oil. Cook the slices on a ridged pan or under the grill until soft. Make a basic tomato sauce of blended plum tomatoes with garlic and basil. Once the sauce is thickened, assemble in an oven proof dish - layer of aubergine, mozzerella and a ladle full of sauce. Keep adding layers and sauce until the dish is full. Grate plenty of parmaesan over the top and bake until the cheese is golden and crispy - about 30 minutes.

The courgette can be sliced very thinly with a potato peeler and rolled around a teaspoon of ricotta cheese for a quick starter. Or you could make a salad with the courgette - cut into batons and season before grilling on the ridge pan. Blacken the peppers on a flame or under the grill and let them sweat in a covered bowl or plastic bag. Rub the skins off and deseed them before slicing thinly. Mix the peppers with the courgettes, some tomatoes, capers, a little garlic and dress with basil leaves and a light vinaigrette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Observation on ratatouille - it performs far better, both in the pot and in the stomach, if you cook it without peppers. Just use onion, garlic, tomato, aubergine, courgette and whatever seasoning pleases you (salt, pepper, basil and I use a little dried oregano). Serve with a cheese choux pastry ring (like a cheesie bread - very good with ratatouille).

As Minder suggests, make a salad of roasted, skinned and deseeded peppers with olive oil, capers and basil. I think the ratatouille with a choux ring, a roast pepper side and a green salad would make an excellent meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

you could do some tempura veg with steamed rice and chilli soy dip?

tempura batter: 1 cup flour, 1 cup water, 1 egg. couldnt be easier.

chilli soy dip: one very finely chopped red chilli, one clove of garlic finely chopped, some honey and soy sauce (and some rice wine vinegar if you have it)

Advertisement