Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lewis Glucksman Gallery at UCC: New Project

• 10-06-2008 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

At what point will common sense prevail is a production by artist Garrett Phelan, curated by René Zechlin as part of the Lewis Glucksman Gallery Projects programme. The project consists of 26 sound works which will be presented for a 5 year period on the dedicated website: www.atwhatpointwillcommonsenseprevail.com.
    At what point will common sense prevail marks the second phase of a series of projects by Garrett Phelan exploring the ‘formation of opinion’, particularly manifested through independent FM radio transmission projects, drawing, video, photography and web based projects in both art gallery and public environments.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Does anyone else have to walk past this gaf on the way to tutorials in CEC or Pres or somewhere off campus like that? Does it p*ss you off as much as me seeing a massive building that appears to be rarely used when you have to walk miles to an off campus venue? Has anyone ever been inside that place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Does it p*ss you off as much as me seeing a massive building that appears to be rarely used when you have to walk miles to an off campus venue? Has anyone ever been inside that place?

I've been in the Glucksman once - on the open day in 2007!! :D
    There was some exhibition on so we wandered in and had a look.
    It's a lovely building actually! Really improves the look of the campus and almost compensates for the monstrosity of the Kane :)
    Haven't gone during the college year though.

It doesn't piss me off because it serves a useful purpose. I think I'll visit again in 2nd year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

It doesn't piss me off because it serves a useful purpose. I think I'll visit again in 2nd year.

a building you go into once a year "serves a useful purpose"?
    not in my opinion.

I've gone there for a meal a couple of times. The food is ok, the service is poor. The finish and fit out of the place is crap, exposed walls and wires still to be seen.
    The outside is not nice, the wood finish seems not to be maintained and looks like it badly needs paint.

That said, I think it's imortant for a place like UCC to have a gallery, and to have it there is good for the visiting public.
    I'd love to do a banksy on the wall to make a sundial with the shadows the building throws.

703011659_58e0bbdfce.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

It's a lovely design, very airy, has a few flaws and yet has won awards right....not bad really!

Now the Parmacy building..that should have been built higher to cater for more rooms so less off-campus stuff would be needed.

Still isn't that what gives UCC character...all the walking?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

deRanged wrote: »
    a building you go into once a year "serves a useful purpose"?
    not in my opinion.
    I didn't say it was specifically useful for me.
    By your logic then, there are a lot of buildings that serve no useful purpose because I've never been inside them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I didn't say it was specifically useful for me.
    By your logic then, there are a lot of buildings that serve no useful purpose because I've never been inside them.

absolutely. but let me explain what I meant. those buildings serve a purpose
    to the UCC community at large. the elec eng building (random example) is rarely if ever used by arts students (another random choice) but serves a great purpose for elec eng students and researchers. same with all the other buildings.

So following on from that how many students and researchers does the Glucksman support. The restaurant is priced way above student use, and is too small to be of much use anyway.

UCC had a major space crisis and operating deficit for the last few years and they built the art gallery instead of more space for students and researchers, who are the community and lifeblood of the college. Students and staff were left walking miles to their classes, right past the lovely priced out of their range art gallery.

Finally, it *should* be useful, specifically for you. As a student you're the focal point of the UCC community. The whole ethos of UCC should be to support and facilitate students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,644 ✭✭✭✭nesf

deRanged wrote: »
    Finally, it *should* be useful, specifically for you. As a student you're the focal point of the UCC community. The whole ethos of UCC should be to support and facilitate students.

+1

Advertisement