Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heavy steering on ford KA? common?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hey boardsies, My GF's sister is gone away for the summer and I have been driving her 97 KA to and from the train station which is handy. (slag away i couldnt give a sh*t). as far as I know the model doesnt have power steering or power assisted steering even (im open to correction here) but jesus the steering is heavy. Ok im used to power steering with my own car but I remember my brothers starlet didnt have PS but once you were moving you wouldnt really notice. With the KA it feels stiff to the point that its dangerous. Ive read a few articles about the KA having heavy steering and problems with the steering rack/ joints but Im just wondering if any boardsies have any experience (or your *cough* wives :D)

Il have it over the pit at the weekend myself anyway but just looking for info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The 1997 Ka didn't have power steering as standard. This can be quite noticable to someone who has never driven a car without power steering before.

I would also check your tyre pressure and make sure it is at the level recommended by the manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

get the tyre pressures right and enjoy the sensation of true steering feel.

With the Ka's great chassis and no power assistance your senses should be being overloaded for the summer !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Had a 1990 fiesta quite some time back and it had seen better days. The steering was extremely heavy and creaked unbelievably. I had the universal joint replaced and it improved the lightness of the steering but exposed the amount of play in the wishbone ball joints, there was a few degrees lash in the steering i.e. a few degrees of free movement when changing from one direction to the other!
    If there's a creaking in the steering column, get it up on a ramp and checked out. It's a quick job to replace the joint and I dont recall the part being very expensive either but it might not be available off the shelf given how few cars are left without power steering.

Advertisement