Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alone in The Dark

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Thanks for posting those guys, much appreciated! I'd kiss you if boards hadn't made me sign that form saying I wouldn't!

R

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    LOL What review site/mag gave them thw 3's?
    http://translate.google.ie/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamereactor.no%2Fanmeldelser%2F114074%2FAlone%2Bin%2Bthe%2BDark%2F&sl=no&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Review by norweigan mag which gave it 3/10, there might be others although this is the one I saw

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Dont mind that yoyo, a 3/10 is a high fail :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Atari are threatening to sue some of the magazines who published reviews as they have no idea how they got a copy of the game. Rumour has it that theres 360 versions floating around torrent sites.

Kotaku link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

My first impression of it is annoying. I won't spoil anything but the first couple of minutes where you have to blink constantly seemed pointless (well the blinking did anyway). The controls don't feel right to it either. I have to keep switching back to first person view.

It might be a renter first before you splash out on it.

• Advertisement

armour87 wrote: »
    Atari are threatening to sue some of the magazines who published reviews as they have no idea how they got a copy of the game. Rumour has it that theres 360 versions floating around torrent sites.

Kotaku link
    Interesting m8, and I think PS2, Wii versions are also floating around the torrents ;) . The reviewers deny using pirated copies according to that article and baught it retail which its street date was obviously broken which I would see as fair enough, but I'm not a lawyer ;) .

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I wouldn't have the slighest clue how to get torrent versions onto my console, but your right, very interesting to see the outcome of these shenanigans.

armour87 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have the slighest clue how to get torrent versions onto my console, but your right, very interesting to see the outcome of these shenanigans.

More interesting to see if the reviews after the release date give better or similar reviews. :)
    If better then it was pirated incomplete code.
    If similar then Atari is full of *****

Mick, how much did you pay for it or did you rent?

Mick, how much did you pay for it or did you rent?
    I got it from a mate who works in retail so I didn't pay full price.

• Advertisement

Whats the fire effects like in it???

Whats the fire effects like in it???

Well they look cool but I got a bit frustrated trying to aim my fire extinguisher at the fire. You're spraying away and not really sure if you're hitting the right spot. Maybe I'm just not getting it yet. I've given it a break for a while.

Just got it there, 50 euro in Xtravision even though it had 60 on the label.

First Impressions after completing chapter 1.

Cons
    --Controls are what the reviews have been saying, bit clunky and annoying.
    --Having the option to switch between first and third person view will get annoying I think.

Pros
    --Story plays well, has that america sitcom (lost,24) type feel to it with the "previously on" thing going in it.
    --The fire and in particular the way the fire spreads is pretty cool.
    --The set pieces although awkardly designed in some parts are top notch.

Overall I can see this one heading for a 7/10 score.
    Unless something terribly starts going wrong with the game mechanics, I cant see were people are getting 3's from.

Just got it there, 50 euro in Xtravision even though it had 60 on the label.

First Impressions after completing chapter 1.

Cons
    --Controls are what the reviews have been saying, bit clunky and annoying.
    --Having the option to switch between first and third person view will get annoying I think.

Pros
    --Story plays well, has that america sitcom (lost,24) type feel to it with the "previously on" thing going in it.
    --The fire and in particular the way the fire spreads is pretty cool.
    --The set pieces although awkardly designed in some parts are top notch.

Overall I can see this one heading for a 7/10 score.
    Unless something terribly starts going wrong with the game mechanics, I cant see were people are getting 3's from.
    Good infos m8 ;)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think I'll rent this next week when I finish Lego Indy.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Ronan

OMG - Whoever decided not to put a save point in the driving sequence to the park should be shot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Completely and utterly agree! Its totally insane especially considering the animations dont even go off when they are supposed to...ridiculous piece of the game and would almost put you seriously off it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

I agree with the above posts on the driving to the park section, it took me about 15 attempts to nail that part! and the controls generally are a bit clunky... On the whole though i think the game developers should be applauded as a lot of of the gameplay elements are really fresh and original and there is a constant edge of your seat feeling as you genuinely don't know whats gonna happen next a lot of the time. I'm really enjoying it so far! (just into chapter 3)

Yeh that driving sequence was broken to pieces... Great idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fliptzer

The graphics are great, the opening level really set a high bar for the following episodes…but they don’t reach it, in fact by half way I started to get a little bit bored with all the ‘melodrama’ and really fed up with its problems, including inconsistent graphics and cliche plot.

E.g. Some creatures looked like something from the original ‘Tomb Raider’ game - i.e. blocky.

The controls are dreadful! The concept of real time inventory is a good idea but it could have been done so much better, there’s no point in mixing your inventory a million different ways if you can’t just shoot them in the head. It’s not realistic that a couple of swipes with a rake or bat floors them but after 2-3 clips of your gun they’re still upright. (B.T.W. Why does it lock on using a melee weapon but not a firearm? And trying to switch between them two takes too long)

The monster’s A.I. seems good and they do dodge, hide and hurl objects your way so that’s a plus. But unfortunately the non baddies are thick as sh*te and very annoying.SIZE]

It seems to me that this game is well below standard. As a serious gamer and one who has spend a lot of time and money playing games (and too many years of my life), to me this game is bad and deserves the low scores I’ve seen on some game sites.

I am seriously considering returning it to the shop and strongly recommend anyone considering buying this game to buy something else.

• Advertisement

Agree with some of the things your saying but watch out with the spoilers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished the first episode. I thought Resident Evil 1 controls were long dead? Keep on trying to use the Right Stick to turn! Apart from the old fashioned controls, it's good enough so far. Glad I just rented it though.

It's definitely a rental I'm afraid (50 quid gone :( ) The graphics are very good in general, the sound is a bit annoying on the monsters but the ideas are brilliant.... they just don't work most of the time. I find myself skipping sequences cos i'm fed up with the controlls causing me to get killed stupidly. VERY ambitions... doesn't work.

I finished it last nite after roughly 12 hours of playtime and two hours of that was spent
    burning them trees

Pros
    Visuals are OK and Central Park looks great.
    I like the inventory the way it was designed.
    The fact that you could skip sequences was a must.
    Fire was utilised very well and looks and acts very good.

Cons
    Too Short, could be completed in 8hours.
    No replay value at all really.
    Horrible Endings.
    Horrible Controls.
    Those who are looking for a scare factor, it aint up to Condemend levels at all.

My verdict is that its a good game especially in the later stages but its far too short and has a few technical problems. Its a solid rental at best which a in a few days relaxed play you could finish grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Nuts, there goes another much anticipated game into the "Underachiever" category.

Really getting sick of games not delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Yeah rented this a few nights ago and I really like it. The controls are pretty **** but theres so many ideas! Being able to tape a bottle of petrol to a wall, pierce another bottle and lay a trail of petrol down the road, light it with a zippo and watch the trail light and hit the bottle is just amazing. I say buy this when it comes down in price, Eden games need the money to do more like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Ronan wrote: »
    OMG - Whoever decided not to put a save point in the driving sequence to the park should be shot!!

It's soooooo bloody annoying. You can't even slightly hit off of anything around the area without getting the car stuck which means - death. Took me nearly an hour just to get past it, was so put off playing the rest of the game after that sequence. Anybody else finding this game absolutely rediculous?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    It's soooooo bloody annoying. You can't even slightly hit off of anything around the area without getting the car stuck which means - death. Took me nearly an hour just to get past it, was so put off playing the rest of the game after that sequence. Anybody else finding this game absolutely rediculous?!

Er...didn't you notice that you could skip it?

From Todays Penny arcade: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

I have returned the game. It is just broken. Great graphics and great ideas but DREADFUL (imo) execution.

I died many, many times because of the controls or something stupid that wasn't down to skill or anything within my control. The driving/bats part is just horrible. Picked up ninja gaiden, let the joypad throwing and anger begin! :)

r

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Er...didn't you notice that you could skip it?

From Todays Penny arcade: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/

Yes of course i noticed you can skip sequences. I'm just saying that it's quite annoying, especially if you couldn't skip that part.

Advertisement