Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare Costs question.

Options
  • 10-06-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭

Just enquiring what people pay for childcare... Be it childminder, creche, playschool, montessori, after school care.

I have a childminder who looks after my son age 2 from 9am-5.30pm and collects my 9yo daughter from school so she has her from 3-5.30pm.
    She charges €50 per day.

I will be sending the little fella to playschool in July from 9am-12pm for three mornings a week, It is a playgroup and it will cost €60 for the 3 mornings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

My 7 yr olds creche fees are €130 a week - they feed her, bring and collect her from school (its the same price in summer).

My 1.5 yr olds creche fees are €220 a week, they feed her and I just supply drinks/nappies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

€1,831.25 a month for two kids in creche - that includes a 25% discount for the second child...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Quality wrote: »
    Just enquiring what people pay for childcare... Be it childminder, creche, playschool, montessori, after school care.

I have a childminder who looks after my son age 2 from 9am-5.30pm and collects my 9yo daughter from school so she has her from 3-5.30pm.
    She charges €50 per day.

I will be sending the little fella to playschool in July from 9am-12pm for three mornings a week, It is a playgroup and it will cost €60 for the 3 mornings.

Sounds like a bargain to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Grawns wrote: »
    Sounds like a bargain to me!

Shes 28 and great with the kids... I have her the last year and a half and she has never been sick!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Quality wrote: »
    Shes 28 and great with the kids... I have her the last year and a half and she has never been sick!!!

Can I borrow her? :D

Son was in after school care 3 years ago it was 130 pw from 2.00 - 5.30

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Two kids pre school in creche from 8:00 to 5:00 three days a week. €650 a month which works out at around €25 each per day. Food drinks included. Montessori included for oldest lad. Great value and they love it.

Don't know how the creche can do it for that price but it has been the same for 2.5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭RIRI

€40 per day 8am to 5pm for my 3 & 1/2 year old, I provide lunches but childminder will do these if needed. Couldn;t be happier with minder to be hinest - she's a saint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

€135 for 4 days 8.30 to 4.30 in creche. They provide all food, nappies etc. I just provide his bottles. Really happy with the care he's receiving, he's nearly 10 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

€5 per hour for one child. €9 per hour for both. For the same hours as you it would work out at pretty much the same. Very reasonable I think.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I pay my creche €700 per month for 2 yo 9-5.30 and 5yo after school till 5.30, 3 days a week, but as its paid on a monthly basis, you still pay the full fee during christmas and holidays. All meals,including a hot dinner and drinks are provided. I provide nappies. Extra days are €70 for both kids, assuming the older lad is only going after school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

EUR1950 a month for our 2 little ones in creche at the moment. they provide lunch for the oldest but we have to bring bottles and baby food for the little one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

EUR1950 a month for our 2 little ones in creche at the moment. they provide lunch for the oldest but we have to bring bottles and baby food for the little one
    High&Low wrote: »
    €1,831.25 a month for two kids in creche - that includes a 25% discount for the second child...
    :eek::eek::eek:
    I pay e600 per month to keep my 18-month-old in a creche full-time, then pay my mother-in-law e50 per week for afterschool care of my 5 and 7 year old (she does 2 days per week), then my sister-in-law e30 for one day per week afterschool care. Plus various relations call to the house and look after the older children when I leave for work then leave them at school. The total amount I pay for childcare is around e900 per month. It will be more during the school holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Is it really worth working if you have to pay such high childcare costs? You lot must earn serious money to make it worthwhile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

sueme wrote: »
    Is it really worth working if you have to pay such high childcare costs? You lot must earn serious money to make it worthwhile!

I really enjoy my work. I figured though I really only have about e100 for myself at the end of every week. If I had another child I'd definitely quit! But that won't be an issue because it's not going to happen.

kelle wrote: »
    I really enjoy my work. I figured though I really only have about e100 for myself at the end of every week. If I had another child I'd definitely quit! But that won't be an issue because it's not going to happen.

you never know!!!:D

our eldest will be 3 this summer so will start school in september, so hopefully that should ease the strain on the wallet. but i agree, costs here are prohibitive with regards to childcare, but when there's no other way, then you just do the best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Its funny that if you work out the costs it is actually cheaper to send your child to a private fee paying school than creche.

our eldest will be 3 this summer so will start school in september

Playschool? Not normal school surely?

squire1 wrote: »
    Playschool? Not normal school surely?

no it's a normal school- french schools start you off at 3.

Ahhhh. C'est bon.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

I am minding 3 children from the same family. One from 9-6 one 12.30-6 one 2-6 I charge €200a week and supply everything. This is my first time doing it and think I have under charged but cant change it because she is a friend. The extra petrol alone is a lot. She did say she would send down extra treats but she hasnt. Dont get me wrong I am so glad of the money but I really feel Ive earned it by the end of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

Lolalane wrote: »
    I am minding 3 children from the same family. One from 9-6 one 12.30-6 one 2-6 I charge €200a week and supply everything. This is my first time doing it and think I have under charged but cant change it because she is a friend. The extra petrol alone is a lot. She did say she would send down extra treats but she hasnt. Dont get me wrong I am so glad of the money but I really feel Ive earned it by the end of the week.

You are working for €4.44 an hour plus you have additional costs, which considering the price of fuel, food etc are probably eating into at least half what you are getting paid!!!

I am assuming that you are also looking after one or more of your own children at the same time, but even so...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

Yes and I know im lucky I can, if I charged anymore it wouldnt be worth her while going to work. I shouldnt complain Im happy really just shocked to see how much everyone else is paying.

Advertisement