Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you repeat the leaving?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I would repeat....But only because I didn't do TY, and I've only recently turned 17.
    I haven't got a clue what I want to do next year so if I don't get a fairly decent LC I'll consider it...Wouldn't bother me too much tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rob-a-tron

blue-army wrote: »
    I would repeat....But only because I didn't do TY, and I've only recently turned 17.
    I did TY but im still young enough. 18 in the summer. Its a pain in the arse to repeat. Im thinkin it'd be easier because I know what to do now (dont act the bollox and study) But then again I can see myself in november not bein arsed about it. Only really get in the mood around may!!! And even just seeing your mates goin on the piss anytime they want wudnt help the aul motivation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

No
    Is it true that its 2 years repeating now instead of the one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

phase-3 wrote: »
    Is it true that its 2 years repeating now instead of the one?
    What? Of course not, its completely up to you, but no one would start off in 5th year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

I said no way after my first one, then I got my results, quickly changed my mind. Never again though I hated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

No
    If I really had to I would, especially if I decided over the summer or next year that I really want to do something with higher points than my results. I know there's back doors into most things, though, so I'd definitely try for some way around doing it first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭scholes19

repeated dis year and it was a toughie of a year! the lads heading out on thursday nites was a killer! went out with dem a few times,but school on a friday after 3-4 hours sleep...it was hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

No
    I've already decided to repeat and I haven't even finished my exams yet. I've done 6 subjects and most of them went really badly especially Business which I could have gotten an A in. Not looking forward to repeating but I'd say I'll be more motivated to study next year...gonna study at home though which could be hard and just repeat the exams as an external student rather than going to the Institute or anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mayam

No
    i've decided to repeat too nd i still havent finished yet (monday left to go)
    I know i could have done way better, so im actually looking forward to repeating lol!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I ACTUALLY wouldn't repeat if you paid me nine million quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

there's a way to get around everything and i personally wouldn't. for some people it's the right option but i don't think i ever would.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

No
    I heard loads of people in my school saying that it was a 2 year repeat from next year on. I would have no problem with repeating!

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I really want my #1 CAO but I don't want it THAT MUCH you nutter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Postman-Layla

No
    I think I would. I know there's the "if you don't get your points for medicine [or whatever] you're probably too 'tarded to do it anyway" thing, but I know the only reason for my not getting 350+ points is because I haven't opened a book since the start of fifth year. I never really knew what I wanted to do, so the points thing never meant that much to me.
    I'd rather repeat than do a PLC though, for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    phase-3 wrote: »
    I heard loads of people in my school saying that it was a 2 year repeat from next year on. I would have no problem with repeating!

That'd be madness. One year extra is enough. You wouldn't even be doing the course the Leaving Certs would be doing, you'd be doing the one the 5th years would be doing. That means you'd be in a year with people two years younger than ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

No
    I couldn't wait to get out of school but I ended up repeating. It was the best year of my life! Would defo recommend it to anyone if you're willing to make yourself work and if you really want something. U won't enjoy repeating if you don't know what you want still as you need to be so focused and you really need to think about what you REALLY want on your CAO. There's no point in settling for 2nd best is there? But honestly it was worth the extra year, I did mine with over 100 others repeating and we're all good friends since. It really matures you and seriously helps when you go to college. I'm doing much better than people who did better than me the 2nd time who did it once. So yeah i'd recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

No
    The absolute *stress* of this year would make me never EVER want to go back and redo it.
    But I know at the same time that if i don't get 580 points I definitely will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Is it possible to re-do the LC without going back to sk00l?

i.e as a nightcourse?

I would be VERY surprised if I need to re-do it (not in a 'amn't I a genius' way, but in a 'needed less than 400 by a fair bit' way) but am still curious.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

There is also the option of waiting and applying as a mature student at 21 - correct me if I'm wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

23 I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No
    I might have re-repeat it after that bitch of an accounting paper...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

No
    Up until today repeating was the best decision i have made..Then accounting came along and bit me in the ass.
    Now im going to end up doing a course i was offered last year.
    None the less i feel i have learnt a lot form my repeat year and that i will appreciate college that bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

No
    I've already decided to repeat and I haven't even finished my exams yet. I've done 6 subjects and most of them went really badly especially Business which I could have gotten an A in. Not looking forward to repeating but I'd say I'll be more motivated to study next year...gonna study at home though which could be hard and just repeat the exams as an external student rather than going to the Institute or anywhere.

what subjects u gonna do at home? just wondering how u gonna manage to get history religion or geog projects supervised or physics chemistry or biology experiments done as required by department

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭nycman

Hell No!

The Leaving Cert is like a rectal exam. They get you hard and deep and you don't want to talk about it afterward.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 axel-offbeat

I had such a hard time getting through the year so theres no way I could do it again! Well unless I really need to but I doubt I'd repeat next year, I'd probably wait...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Adam08

Not a hope but if I did repeat I know that Id do a lot better and probably get a course I wanted, still though I couldn't stick it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I learned nothing whatsoever from the whole Junior Cert cycle and not at lot so far in 5th year tbh. 5 years of my life wasted already, I'm just going to get through next year, put in the work, and if I don't get my first choice, I'll put it down to faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

nycman wrote: »
    Hell No!

The Leaving Cert is like a rectal exam. They get you hard and deep and you don't want to talk about it afterward.:D
    Well at least you'd be loosened up for the repeat exam eh? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

No
    If I dont get pharmacy in UCC next year then Im repeating. Im trying not to think that far ahead though and take everything as it comes.

Advertisement