Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

carlton palmer- worst players ever to play in a major tournament!

• 10-06-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

after reading the other thread about the great players never to play in a major tournie, plamer is easily the worst player ever to appear in one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

B*llocks was he.

With the right players around him he was a fairly reliable defender ( See his partnership with Lucas Radebe for Leeds in the mid 90's as proof of this)

Far worse players than him have graced major championships

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Most of the Saudi team in the 2002 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Ooijer the dutch defender is awful.

Kilbane and Connolly must be up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Ian Harte in '02?
    Kleberson?
    Some of the USA players in 2006 were septic, i usually forget rubbish players, except myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Phil Babb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

phil babb actually played well in the world cup

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Alan Kernaghan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mohammed Al Deaya, the Saudi keeper who played in a number of World Cups. Probably best remembered for conceding 8 against the Germans and palming Duff's weak effort into his own net in 2002.

Gotta put Escobar in. His performance was apparently so bad it got him shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Carlton palmer is one fo the worst players to appear in the eL tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Didn't play, but was in the squad - Theo Walcott at the time of the last world cup. No fault of his own, but just an insane managerial decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

This Guy in fact the whole team:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kfenai77-wg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Cobi Jones for the USA. He was toxic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Mohammed Al Deaya, the Saudi keeper who played in a number of World Cups. Probably best remembered for conceding 8 against the Germans and palming Duff's weak effort into his own net in 2002.

Gotta put Escobar in. His performance was apparently so bad it got him shot!

I agree with Al Deaya

However, Escobar was a decent defender. He was just unfortunate to score an own goal which put Colombia out. But any goal conceded in other games were just as important but his own goal was what sealed their elimenation

The druglords didn't take kindly to failure! I don't know if he was shot over Colombian pride or if it was for gambling money lost but it was the druglords who did it. Maybe even his namesake Pablo Escobar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

patmac wrote: »

Hero tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Xavi6 wrote: »

Granted, that keeper was shocking, but the rest of the Saudi team didn't exactly make up for it. As a team, they must be one of the worst ever to play in the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Ian Harte in the '02 World Cup was the worst display of Football EVER!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

...he played well in 02 but Gary Breen was comical at times.
    Also- Luke Wilkshire IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

Steve_o wrote: »

Beat me to it. He suffered an absolute breakdown of self confidence. He seemed to lose the ability of basic ball control such as stopping a weak to feet pass. There was a moment where he miss controlled one of those with no pressure on him and let it go out for a throw down by our box. I think it summed up his whole tournament and his 6 years later his career (if you would still call it that) still hasn't recovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Materazzi - Euro 2008 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

redzerdrog wrote: »
    phil babb actually played well in the world cup

He appeared to play well only because McGrath was in front of him and mopped up a lot of stuff before it ever got to Babb for him to **** it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

micmclo wrote: »
    it was the druglords who did it. Maybe even his namesake Pablo Escobar

Probably unlikely seeing as Pablo was dead himself about 8 months at that stage.

The Saudi's are what sprung to my mind when I saw the thread title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

How about that Mwepu dude for Zaire in 1974. Was part of the team that got hammered 9-0 by the Yugoslav's and wrote himself into world cup history by running out of his defensive wall and booting the ball into row Z as the Brazillians were about to take a free.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

...he played well in 02 but Gary Breen was comical at times.
    Also- Luke Wilkshire IMO

Sure wasnt Breen linked with Barca and Inter after the 02 world cup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Melion wrote: »
    Sure wasnt Breen linked with Barca and Inter after the 02 world cup :D
    Ha yeah and where did he end up.... on the bench, at west ham...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The druglords didn't take kindly to failure! I don't know if he was shot over Colombian pride or if it was for gambling money lost but it was the druglords who did it.
    I believe it was the gamblers who had put money on Colombia qualifiying and that goal knocked them out and the rest as they say is history, or at least he was.
    patmac wrote: »
    That's genius tbh, they can't score if they don't have a ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Didn't play, but was in the squad - Theo Walcott at the time of the last world cup. No fault of his own, but just an insane managerial decision.

Not related to topic imo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

sorry celtic fans, but watchin Samaras runnin around and fallin over every 2mins tonite was pretty funny :D woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jim Magilton for Ipswich in Uefa Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pele, Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, Charlton, Bergkamp, Zidane.

I was talking to Pat Dolan and he informed me they were all poor players. He also said something about pipes which I didn't quite catch...

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »
    Ian Harte in '02?
    Kleberson?
    Some of the USA players in 2006 were septic, i usually forget rubbish players, except myself!
    Beat me to it. He suffered an absolute breakdown of self confidence. He seemed to lose the ability of basic ball control such as stopping a weak to feet pass. There was a moment where he miss controlled one of those with no pressure on him and let it go out for a throw down by our box. I think it summed up his whole tournament and his 6 years later his career (if you would still call it that) still hasn't recovered.

No i think I beat you both too it, yeah yeah go me, arent I great.....sorry! Yeah harte was a shambles in that tournament. Still think it was poor leadership etc to actually let him take the penalty Vs Spain, he clearly was playing awful and never looked like he would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

after reading the other thread about the great players never to play in a major tournie, plamer is easily the worst player ever to appear in one.

Have to agree with the OP. Palmer is a terrible footballer and certainly not international class.
    He must have sold his soul to the devil in return for being picked for his country :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

The druglords didn't take kindly to failure! I don't know if he was shot over Colombian pride or if it was for gambling money lost but it was the druglords who did it. Maybe even his namesake Pablo Escobar
    I can't remember totally, but i think it was in fourfourtwo, and they said that escobar was in the carpark after leaving a nightclub and caught some chap robbing his car, he was then shot after an argument..........i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

The greece team last night!

FACT

I am shocked & dismayed by Liverpool fans that this guy hasn't been mentioned. I am dedicating my 1000th post to this joker! Right he cleared it off the line in the CL final but he was ****ing rubbish for us in general. How this guy won a CL medal is beyond me!

http://www.liverpoolpies.tv/traore.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

gucci wrote: »
    Ian Harte in '02?
    Kleberson?

Kleberson actually had a vary good WC in 02 if i remember correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

listen its not carlton palmer at all.

it is in fact danny mills

KaG1888 wrote: »
    I am shocked & dismayed by Liverpool fans that this guy hasn't been mentioned. I am dedicating my 1000th post to this joker! Right he cleared it off the line in the CL final but he was ****ing rubbish for us in general. How this guy won a CL medal is beyond me!

http://www.liverpoolpies.tv/traore.jpg

Dont think he has played in a major tournament? I would be suprised if he even has any international caps? This discussion is in context of major tournaments, like world cups or euros.....possibly he has had an african nations cup experience?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

The greece team last night!

FACT

+1

That knockin the ball around in the backs was really really annoying to watch, it showed a complete lack of confidence!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

+1

That knockin the ball around in the backs was really really annoying to watch, it showed a complete lack of confidence!!!

I think it showed a lot of discipline.

I'd be happy if Ireland played like that with a strong defence and then counter attacked teams quickly who make the mistake of rushing forward.

We have plenty of young pacey midfielders who could play on the counter like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Whoever said Danny Mills obviously didn't see the World Cup in 2002.

He was Englands best player in that tourney along with Nicky Butt.

Mills was an excellent right back who's reputation as a dirty c*nt preceeded him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement