Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cantona, still talking Sh!te.

• 10-06-2008 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭

We all remember Eric and his "trawler, seagulls, out to sea" speech, and it seems that he is still talking crap.

He was interviewed by Sky Sports News today in relation to some new ad he is in. The subject of Ferguson's retirement came up, and when the mention of there being a vacancy at Old Trafford in a few years time, Eric said he would like the job, as it is the only club he would ever manage. Fair enough, nothing wrong with that, although a little ambitious to say the least.

However, when asked if he has taken his coaching badges, Eric responded by saying "no, I don't need to" and implying that he would learn on the job. Steady on son, I think you'll find you do need to take those courses, ask your brethren Bruce, Ince, Keane, Robson, Hughes et el .

However, He then proceeded to say that he didn't need to take the badges because he is an 'artist', and he would create something beautiful, implying that he was too special to be pricking around on such courses. Now is it just me, or is that not a little self righteous. You must be really liking the smell of your own sh!t if you think you are qualified to succeed to Ferguson, because you are an "artist".

But this wasn't the end of Eric's nonsense. He proceeded to say that he would also take the England job if it was going, and that it was the only national team job he would take. The icing on the cake though was when he said that he supports England at international tournaments, and not France, and that he considers himself English and not French. Talk about being a backstabbing swine. Could you imagine the reaction on these boards if Roy Keane came out with similar musings.

Now don't get me wrong, Cantona was a smashing player, and a joy to watch, probably one of the Premiership's best imports, but I always thought he came across incredibly arrogant and full of his own self-importance. If I were his fellow country men, or even other managers, I would take offence to his remarks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Could you imagine the reaction on these boards if Roy Keane came out with similar musings.

They can ****ing have him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

He should start of managing the Utd Legends team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Mr Alan wrote: »
    They can ****ing have him :pac:

Irrespective of whether you are pro or anti Keane, I am sure most would react with disgust if he said what Cantona said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,703 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Irrespective of whether you are pro or anti Keane, I am sure most would react with disgust if he said what Cantona said.

Discussing Cantona's state of mind, is it 1994??

He is a LOON BAG, Full Stop, move along!. Why are you trying to make a story out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Talk about being a backstabbing swine.

you obviously don't remember how he was treated like sh*t by those in the FFF all those years back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

What difference does it make if the FFA treated him bad? That wasn't France, it was the French governing body.

Secondly just seen some of his quotes:

''The Irish public should bow to the feet of Roy Keane, not slate him as he is the best player they will ever have to boast."

''No, it is me." (After being asked whether Zinédine Zidane or Michel Platini was the greatest-ever French footballer

And ''I might have said that, but on the whole I talk a lot of rubbish."

you obviously don't remember how he was treated like sh*t by those in the FFF all those years back.

I did consider that, but does his comments not cut deep with the French as a people. It's one thing to say he follows England at Football, it's another to say he considers himself Englsh and not French.

Keane has had his well publicised ups and downs with the FAI, but I could never see him distancing himself from the national team, let alone his country, because of those problems he had wit the FAI.

Keane has had his well publicised ups and downs with the FAI, but I could never see him distancing himself from the national team, let alone his country, because of those problems he had wit the FAI.

you can't compare the Roy Keane situation to Cantona's. compared to Cantona, Roy Keane was treated like a King. Cantona was playing the best football of his life, on a par with Zidane tbh, yet didn't even get a cap during this period... Cantona was shunned by his own team, and indeed this extended to the general populace to some extent iirc. why should anyone feel obliged to support them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,436 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

He's a legend. A management trio of Cantona, Keane and Ole - wouldn't work, probably, but it would be awesome to see! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

you can't compare the Roy Keane situation to Cantona's. compared to Cantona, Roy Keane was treated like a King. Cantona was playing the best football of his life, on a par with Zidane tbh, yet didn't even get a cap during this period... Cantona was shunned by his own team, and indeed this extended to the general populace to some extent iirc. why should anyone feel obliged to support them?

Eric was well and truly shafted by the FFF.
    However, I think Eric's tongue is firmly in his cheek when he gives interviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

grahamo wrote: »
    However, I think Eric's tongue is firmly in his cheek when he gives interviews

oh, no doubt. I think the man's a comic genius personally. I just take umbrage at those saying he should feel obliged to support his country regardless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Cantona was playing the best football of his life, on a par with Zidane tbh,

:DHAHAHAHA, would you give me a break. Sure Cantona tore up an under par english league back then but he was completely found out in the CL by teams that actually knew hot to defend against the drop off attacker.

Cantona -v- Zidane? Give me ZZ any day of the week he proved it on every level. Its up there with saying Larson is the greatest striker ever because of what he did with Celtic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Tauren wrote: »
    He's a legend. A management trio of Cantona, Keane and Ole - wouldn't work, probably, but it would be awesome to see! :D

Only because maybe 1 bullet could take them all out.....

"awesome" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Cantona was and always will be a poor man's Kenny Dalglish, so poor compared to the great man that he might as well have leprosy while begging on the streets of 1880's London with nothing but a brown shawl and dirty long johns as warmth.

iregk wrote: »
    :DHAHAHAHA, would you give me a break. Sure Cantona tore up an under par english league back then but he was completely found out in the CL by teams that actually knew hot to defend against the drop off attacker.

Cantona -v- Zidane? Give me ZZ any day of the week he proved it on every level. Its up there with saying Larson is the greatest striker ever because of what he did with Celtic...

ok so my fondness for le Roi has led me to exaggerate a little. but we weren't talking about the legendary Zidane of Juve and Real here... his performances weren't so good as to have warranted Cantona's entire exclusion from the squad back then, he wasn't long after finding his feet back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Nationalisms overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

BolBill wrote: »
    Only because maybe 1 bullet could take them all out.....

"awesome" :rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Cantona, arrogant? NEVER :D Of course he is and that's part of why people loved him and his cocky attitude

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Of course he is and that's part of why people loved him and his cocky attitude

Isn't this the same reason people are slating Ronaldo. It's o.k when a bearded Frenchman does it, but not when the good looking pretty boy does so?

• Advertisement

Isn't this the same reason people are slating Ronaldo. It's o.k when a bearded Frenchman does it, but not when the good looking pretty boy does so?

they are both arrogant ****ers but the difference is Ronaldo craves the attention and lures it on himself. Cantona hated it and tried to shirk it as a player.

MOAR!
    Time to track the trawler again, because Eric Cantona has tossed a rather fat fish to the seagulls: a declaration that he intends to become the manager of either Manchester United or England.

Since hanging up his boots in 1997, Cantona has played many roles including a slightly wooden actor, a decent photographer and, at present, the manager of France's beach soccer team. Today, however, he told Le Parisien that soon, perhaps after next month's beach soccer World Cup, he will pursue yet another vocation.

"I will return to 11-a-side football just to become the best manager in the world - and that's exactly what I'll become," trumpeted the man whom Manchester United fans still call King. "I will do the job as a creator and an artist. I want to give football something new."

Asked where he foresaw this dream unfolding, Cantona ruled out his native France, saying, "Ligue 1 is miserable. It should be banned! We don't have the best players in the world but most of all the managers are a pain in the ass … they shouldn't be allowed to advocate such a cautious way of playing."

Cantona does not aspire to lead his country, even though he claimed he would do a much better job than either the current incumbent, Raymond Domenech, or the rumoured heir, Didier Deschamps. "Obviously I would be the ideal person to manage France," he quipped. "I would be able to put in place a more attractive style. Deschamps would be just a continuation of Domenech. But I don't want the job and I certainly won't be offered it."

Cantona said his preferred place of employment would be Old Trafford or Soho Square. "English football flows through my veins and I would love to offer my vision to the English because it is a very beautiful vision."
    source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/27/france.englandfootballteam

ok this is getting weirder. it has to be a personal joke right? although i'm starting to worry about the man..

MOAR!

source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/27/france.englandfootballteam

ok this is getting weirder. it has to be a personal joke right? although i'm starting to worry about the man..

This bloke needs to shut up, joke or not. He is disrespecting a serious amount of people with those comments, when he has proved fack all in management.

How I would to see him take the reigns from Sir Alex and bomb. That would be a pleasure on so many levels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Give him the united job after fergie is done please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

I agree.The guy would make an excellent manager for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I wouldn't be particuarly sad to see him take over at United. He understands what the football club is about, which is more than most managers, even Sir Alex in the last few years. Unfortunately, even he couldn't influence the owners enough so it'd just end up being crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

this kinda reminds me of collymore a year or so back claiming he'd be back at the top of the game within 6months...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Cantona, good player, nothing amazing though.

He played in the EPL when the EPL was about as good as the french Leige 1 so he looked special, in reality if he was world calss he would have been in the french squad, played in spain or italy and not just been a big fish in a small pond.

At the time UTD were not getting out of their groups and were losing to teams like Galtasery and Bronby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Because of the 3 foreigner rule and Fergie's ineptitude in Europe imo.

Cantona won United the premiership for 3 years. That's something amazing whatever what you put it.

Beyond that, he allowed United to keep winning trophies while the golden generation developed. He is at the core of Uniteds success, and of Fergies success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Liverpool fan and I think Cantona's a genius. Brilliant footballer and a catalyst for Manchester United's dominance. Fair play to him. I loved his seagull bull, his kungfu kick and his early retirement. I couldn't care less if he supports England more than France - that's his choice.

Also he is an artist - he's not really a footballer's footballer like Dalglish, Keane, Bruce, Ince, Hughes who were mentioned above. He'd surely either be really successful and retire quickly or flop and quit. Having him manage lower quality teams would be wrong. Some people are simply extraordinary.

I wish he'd stayed with Leeds though.

Advertisement