Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New sticky needed: cars are all crap

Options
  • 10-06-2008 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Following a suggestion in the Alfa 147 Problem thread, I think we need a new sticky called Cars are Crap, with the distilled wisdom of the regulars:

Alfas are crap, Fiats are crap, Renault are crap, don't touch that with a bargepole, that's boring, those are overpriced, oh God not another fanboy, my dad's Cortina broke down once in 1972, BMW fans are idiots, Japanese interiors are made out of recycled Coke bottles, I met a guy once whose mother's Citroen caused the Chernobyl disaster...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

LOL

Youd be sick of all the sh*te alright wouldnt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yepp ...the only cars worth having are those with the engine in the back anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Kavinsky

Fiats are crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I'll continue... Everything under the VAG, Toyota, GM and Ford umbrellas are crap!!
    (that covers a fair bit...!)
    Next?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Fiat Ritmo is pure auto shíte.

And the Austin Metro was not much better, although Austin-Rover now no longer exist...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

"french cars are about as useful as a frog with no legs"

"Audi's are great cars"

VW Jetta and Toyota Corolla... utter muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Motoring generalisations are crap. Along with fog lights on when there is no fog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Biro wrote: »
    Toyota Corolla... utter muck.

Second hand corolla's are fairly cheap and run forever, cant go wrong

Edit: Fiats are crap in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Any car that doesn't have over 500bhp is "seriously underpowered"

• Advertisement

colly10 wrote: »
    Second hand corolla's are fairly cheap and run forever, cant go wrong

Edit: Fiats are crap in fairness

Generalisations!!!

Honda's are made from tin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Jesus lads.
    Cars, in general, are powered by mixing a highly flamable liquid with air and igniting it in a sealed cylinder to cause a series of explosions, up to 9000 per minute.
    How the hell could this not cause problems?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

I know you are looking for a city runabout <1.2l for under €6k, but have you considred the following?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Maserati/Gran-Turismo/www.sportandclassic.ie/959502/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I know feck all about cars - I don't like them and I can't drive but I came on to boards / motors to say I know for a fact that Toyotas are the best cars and Alphas are crap - my uncle had both and he had to put new tyres on the Alpha after 50k miles - crap !

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    I know you are looking for a city runabout <1.2l for under €6k, but have you considred the following?

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Maserati/Gran-Turismo/www.sportandclassic.ie/959502/

:D

Have you considered the Octavia? Huge boot...

Generalisations!!!

Honda's are made from tin!

Generalisations alright, but they aren't pulled from thin air, just may not be true every time.

Like if I said I am going to buy a second hand car with 100k miles, I don't care about how it looks, im just praying for reliability because I have little money if something goes wrong - My options are a toyota corolla or an Alfa 147.

Would you advise me to spend my hard earned cash on the Alfa?

Edit: Just an example, personally if it was between the 2 id buy the alfa, prefer the look of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

I have a million Euros to spend on a car, but a guy down the pub said the Veyron is crap and I should get a Japanese car for the reliability, what do you all think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I know feck all about cars - I don't like them and I can't drive but I came on to boards / motors to say I know for a fact that Toyotas are the best cars and Alphas are crap - my uncle had both and he had to put new tyres on the Alpha after 50k miles - crap !

LOL! Classic!

colly10 wrote: »
    Generalisations alright, but they aren't pulled from thin air

You mean ALL black people may not be experts at basketball? All Irish people may not be drunk and fighting? All French people might not actually be frogs? All VW's might not be reliable? All Fiats might not be crap? All Jap interiors might not be made from coke cans?

Every car is crap except [insert posters marque]

I will take it as a person slight if [insert posters marque] is talked about in a negative way and will defend it like a rabid dog.

There is a post formula for 90% of the posts in this forum.

• Advertisement

Zube wrote: »
    I have a million Euros to spend on a car, but a guy down the pub said the Veyron is crap and I should get a Japanese car for the reliability, what do you all think?

The guy in the pub is dead right and should be heeded. You should get a Carina E. You should also ask man in pub about politics and sport too, cause he's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I remember having a choice between a 1.4 golf and 1.4 focus as company cars, driving around Dublin... And being told both are dangerously slow... not just slow but dangerously slow lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Onkle wrote: »
    I remember having a choice between a 1.4 golf and 1.4 focus as company cars, driving around Dublin... And being told both are dangerously slow... not just slow but dangerously slow lol

Ah! Clearly you were getting the opinions of those driving M3s and the likes! :D
    Tbh now a 1.4l car is far too slow for city driving..you're going to need at least a 3l car!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Ah! Clearly you were getting the opinions of those driving M3s and the likes! :D
    Tbh now a 1.4l car is far too slow for city driving..you're going to need at least a 3l car!

3l car....pfffft - you need an SUV to drive around dublin. Easier to see over the dangerously slow cars :D

Onkle wrote: »

Easily explainable... you see when you're driving a high powered car like a Golf GT TDI, your neck muscles snap your neck forward sharply everytime you touch the accellerator to counteract the excessive lateral G's experienced from the raw power. When you're in a 1.4 that doesn't happen so you get whiplash!
    When you're in a 1 litre, it's dangerous cause when you try to accellerate, it goes backwards at the rate of gravity cause it's generating negative power.

Zube wrote: »

If your spending big money on a car you would expect it to be more reliable than a jap car you pay flock all for
    All VW's might not be reliable?

True, read owners reviews on the mark 4 golf, more than a fair share of electrical problems
    All Jap interiors might not be made from coke cans?

True, they're actually made from coke bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

ronoc wrote: »
    Every car is crap except [insert posters marque]

I will take it as a person slight if [insert posters marque] is talked about in a negative way and will defend it like a rabid dog.

There is a post formula for 90% of the posts in this forum.

If your thinking of buying a 00' ford Focus you should buy an early 90's 3L BMW instead much better value and it wont depreciate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

peasant wrote: »
    yepp ...the only cars worth having are those with the engine in the back anyway.
    Until you have a crash and then you wish it was in the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Has to be Diesel. That way you can stay in 4th gear for ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Diesel is crap, it pollutes more than the Atom bomb ever did. My car is powered by rubber bands wound by hamsters on exercise wheels, and does 30 miles to the carrot.

Advertisement