Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a song ever brought you to tears

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

bruce springsteen independence day.

He has a few songs like that. Racing in the street also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Agree with Xavi, it's usually a combination of events and music.

"Atmosphere" played at the end of Control had me welling up - you would need to see the entire film though ;)

Closest song that did that all by itself was "Hope There's Someone" by Anthony and the Johnsons :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Closest song that did that all by itself was "Hope There's Someone" by Anthony and the Johnsons :(

Jesus, yes. Actually, Anthony and the Johnsons generally just have a devastating effect on me.

Other than that, that song on that anti-terrorism ad a few years back ("AND THE CAT'S IN THE CRADLE AND THE SILVER SPOON...") is seared into my brain as the most upsetting song of all time, entirely due to the psychological damage that ad left me with. Arcade Fire's My Body Is A Cage came close, when I saw it live*, but as far as I'm concerned you can't be held responsible for your emotional state at one of their shows. Anything that happens at an Arcade Fire show, stays at the Arcade Fire show.

(*Abroad, not at an MCD event, for the record.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hasn't made me actually cry, but for some reason, I find a lot of the Beach Boys songs very sad.
    Particularly from the Pet Sounds - Surf's Up Era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭rebeldiamond

Yes! "Atmosphere" at the end of the movie 'Control' had me in bits, I must say. It was such a great movie & very full of emotion and they couldnt have picked a better song for the end.
    Other tear-jerkers for me are-
    "Tonight, Tonite"- The Smashing Pumpkins (just for the over-whelming emotion alone!)
    "My Immortal"- Evanescence (so sad)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

jackson browne - sky blue and black

beautiful song...would reduce sebastian chabal to tears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

When I was younger(bout 13/14) BEN by Michael jackson would always have me welling up... what a song:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Willie MacBride - The Fureys version.

Alot of Elliott Smith's Music, Partially because of the Music, Partially because of the the circumstances surrounding his death, partially because he had so much more to offer.

Animals were gone - Damien Rice

The Temptation of Adam - Josh Ritter (I can barely hold it back when I am playing it!!!)

Funny thing is most people see me as a "hard" fella who doesn't even cry at funeral's. (Which I don't) But Music is what gets me!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ride - Vapour Trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGeSoRGrpvs (just a beautiful, heart-rending song)
    Johnny Cash - Hurt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVAWKfJ4Go (enough has been said)
    Kate Bush - This Woman's Work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm901CXujEg (used in an RSPCC ad - extaordinarily moving song)
    Lush - When I Die: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wy1bTnp7I (played at the funeral of their drummer who hanged himself at the age of 30 - must have been unbearable)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

as has been mentioned Johnny Cash - Hurt
    also

Nick Cave - Into My Arms surely one of the best love songs ever wrote

Garth Brooks - Belleau Wood

The Killers - Mr Brightside - strange one this but the "I never" bit at the end always seems to bring back many happy memories to me of nights out with friends

Kenny Rogers - Coward of the County - always found the story moving

Sinead O'Connor - Silent Night , I find her vocals in this absolutely beautiful and perfect

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody - "nothing really matters , anyone can see nothing really matters , nothing really matters to me"

Beatles - In my Life - obvious really

LCD Soundsystem - Love the way it builds up throughout the song to the final "Where are your friends tonight" release

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

erm.... tbh:

Many a thin lizzy song... such a brilliant song writer...

on the other hand

fall out boys cover of MJ's beat it makes me sign n' cry cause its sooo poor....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Another vote for Atmosphere by Joy Division here, esp. when I saw the movie Control. It's the song I'd have played at my funeral.

The Pogues version of And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda

Any number of Tom Waits' songs, but particularly Kentucky Avenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

crying to music can be very theraputic
    for me crying doesn't happen so often as the chills
    pink floyds comfortably numb ,wish you were here,shine on
    don't fear the reaper by the blue oyster cult
    the whos join together
    neil young :old man (when my granda passed on)
    eric clapton tears in heaven
    theres actually loads of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Stella89 wrote: »
    'Everybody hurts' by REM
    'Girls just want to have fun' Cyndi lauper.....not sure why though:o:confused:

i hate that song with a passion , everybody hurts

love the cyndi lauper one though , not enough to make me cry though , not that kinda tune

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

Marie by Townes Van Zandt ....... has to be the saddest song ever ...... by the best songwriter ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

La Cienga Just Smiled - Ryan Adams

irish_bob wrote: »
    i hate that song with a passion , everybody hurts

love the cyndi lauper one though , not enough to make me cry though , not that kinda tune
    Me too. I've grown to like REM over the past two years or so (after disliking them for a long time) but I have never understood the love people have for that song - or the fact that they find it really sad. It just does not have the hallmarks of a sad song - if anything, it's a bland, easy-listening tune with actually quite positive lyrics.

Other really sad numbers:
    Bruce Springsteen - The River
    Radiohead - High and Dry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

"Me & My Bitch" by Notorious B.I.G

Seriously! Look...........

One day, she put nine one one on my pager
    I had to call back, whether if it's minor or major
    No response, the phone just rung
    Grab my vest, grab my gun, to find out the problem
    When I pulled up, police was on the scene
    Had to make the U-turn, make sure my **** was clean
    Drove down the block, stashed the burner in the bushes
    Stepped to police with the shoves and the pushes
    It didn't take long before the tears start
    I saw my bitch dead with the gunshot to the heart
    And I know it was meant for me
    I guess the niggaz felt they had to kill the closest one to me
    And when I find them their life is to and end
    They killed my best friend...........
    :(

Actually Tupac's Dear Mama is an extremely moving song...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I always found Radiohead - Let Down quite moving, also Moby - Hymn (i suppose you could add loads of moby).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

You know, its strange but Abba's "Knowing Me, Knowing You"" made me cry, because of the lyrics:

"Walking through an empty house; tears in my eyes,
    This is where the story ends: This is Goodbye"

It gets me because it reminds me of when I moved home after my parent's break-up.

Also,

Madonna-The Power of Goodbye gets me everytime. I just think it means a lot to me because I always find break ups and farewells difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Haven't cried because of a song.

But Peter Sarstedt's 'Where do you go to my lovely' is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Neil Young - Philadelphia. Anybody watch the end of that film and just try to keep the tears in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Antony and the Johnsons - Hope There's Someone (mother o jaysis - what a tear jerker).

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Baz Luhrmann - Sunscreen

Why Sunscreen? Are you a member of the Class of 99 by any chance...?
    When I left school ('96) Take That's Never Forget was doing the rounds (it was shortly after they broke up) so it was the obvious graduation song that year (and subsequent years). I find it very moving actually - not to the point of crying but I do get a lump in the aul throat and a bit dewy-eyed when I hear it...
    Neil Young - Philadelphia. Anybody watch the end of that film and just try to keep the tears in
    Oh yes! Very good example. That ending destroys me...

And I forgot The Smiths (stupid me) - Meat is Murder and Suffer Little Children are very difficult to listen to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

A handful of songs have made me shed the odd manly tear alright, almost all of them by the same band;

Just Watch the Fireworks by Jimmy Eat World. The strings absolutely kill me, every time. So poignant, regretful... I hate to keep harping on about the same band, but I have to mention For Me This is Heaven, Cautioners, Ten, The Most Beautiful Things and Dizzy here too. Brutally emotional stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Dudess wrote: »
    Why Sunscreen? Are you a member of the Class of 99 by any chance...?

For lines like - get to know your parents, you'll never know when they'll be gone for good. etc etc.

Its just lovely and refreshing. Don't sweat the small stuff is the message. Nice stuff gets me teary.

But then, I get teary when someone bids farewell to Ramsay St in Neighbours so...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

this nearly made me cry when I was 8

Ireland says Nnuclear.gif!

Drunkmonkey, can you re-embed it? It's not working.
    Tri wrote: »
    For lines like - get to know your parents, you'll never know when they'll be gone for good. etc etc.

Its just lovely and refreshing. Don't sweat the small stuff is the message. Nice stuff gets me teary.

But then, I get teary when someone bids farewell to Ramsay St in Neighbours so...:rolleyes:
    Yeah me too... well maybe not quite Neighbours ;) but I have very easily stimulated tear ducts. Can be embarrassing at times. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those hysterical, overly emotional women, but I just shed tears easily. There's nearly always something on Reeling In The Years that makes me cry...
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from about those lines in Sunscreen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭stink_fist

The Dubliners - In the rare old times

This one always gets me :o

Advertisement