Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has a song ever brought you to tears

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Dudess wrote: »
    Drunkmonkey, can you re-embed it? It's not working.

Yeah me too... well maybe not quite Neighbours ;) but I have very easily stimulated tear ducts. Can be embarrassing at times. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those hysterical, overly emotional women, but I just shed tears easily. There's nearly always something on Reeling In The Years that makes me cry...
    Yeah, I see where you're coming from about those lines in Sunscreen.

Oh yes, reeling in the years. Bloody hell. That gets me everytime.;) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 itchy&scratchy

tears in heaven-eric clapton.
    think he wrote it after his son died

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Tommy the Cat

The Lonesome Boatman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 somewhatxdazed

Brand New- The No Seatbelt Song
    Brand New- Guernica
    Brand New- You Wont Know

One from each album. My favoruite band.:D

Des'ree- Kissing You

DONT JUDGE. :D. It's in Romeo + Juliet, and gets me every.single.time.

Blue October- Come in Closer
    Blue October- Amazing

I dont even know why.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭nataliehun

Ride on - Christy More
    Falling Slowly - Glen Hansard

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shules

Brand New- The No Seatbelt Song

me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 somewhatxdazed

shules wrote: »
    me too

YAY. a fellow fan, perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

In Da Club by 50 Cent.
    It gets me every time.
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 shules

somewhatxdazed, yup! my favourite band in fact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Loads of songs by Sigur Rós.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

High - Lighthouse Family. Was my "I've had a bad day and want to wallow in self-pity for almost 4 minutes" song.

+1 for that Desreé song from Romeo and Juliet. I am ashamed of myself.

Can't Fight The Moonlight - I was watching Coyote Ugly when I learnt of a close friends death. Imagine by John Lennon - played at this friends funeral. L'Amour Toujour - GG D'Agostino - was this friends favourite song even though it wrecked most peoples heads. Still don't like to hear any of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Sarah McLoughlin Angels
    Was going through a very rough time a while back and this song caught me by suprise. My poor boyfirend had to pull the car in I was in such hysterics over this song. :o
    lubie76 wrote: »
    Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
    My favourite song ever. Never fails to cause a tear.
    Willie MacBride - The Fureys version.
    Yep +1 and also "only her rivers run free".

U2 - "in a little while" often makes me emotional.

Purple rain - was played at a friends funeral.

Cats in the cradle - all about regret :(

I have loads more, nothing can change my mood like a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Xavi6 wrote: »
    More so a combination of the songs and the event rather than the songs themselves though.

Yep - Shania twain - From this moment - at a wedding! sniff sniff. hanky,

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

i remember candle in the wind by Elton John being played at my fathers funeral. After that i cant listen to that song without swelling up

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

A few have been known to make me well up

David Bowie - Space Oddity, poor old Major Tom :(
    Dream Theater - Vacant, about LaBries mom dying, with an incredibly moving cello part
    Korn - Kiss, "I don't understand why you always push me away..."
    Radiohead - Fitter Happier, well this song doesn't so much make me sad as terrified...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭stannis

Not really a song, but Barber's Adagio for Strings is one of the most powerful classical pieces ever. Listen to it all the way through and you'll see what I mean.

Joe, I agree on Space Oddity. It's an epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

And on the Platoon soundtrack Charlie Sheen is speaking over it about the horror of 'Nam... very moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Barber's Adagio for Strings

Another lovley classical song in the same vein is 'Elizabethan serenade '

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

I'm not even much of a fan of the band, but Death Cab For Cuties tune 'I'll Follow You Into The Dark'. That sounds weak and 'emo' and whatever else, but there's a story behind it.

I lost two grandparents within a month of each other, and my Mam didn't seem that broke up about it after the father followed, saying 'heartache does that' When I heard that song, the idea of somebody following their other half on really moved me.
    Love of mine
    Someday you will die
    But I'll be close behind
    I'll follow you into the dark
    No blinding lights or tunnels to gates of white
    Just our hands clasped so tight
    Waiting for the hint of the spark

If heaven and hell decide that they both are satisfied
    Illuminate the no's on their vacancy signs
    If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks
    Then I'll follow you into the dark

I'm not a religious person, in fact the very opposite, but the idea of somebody following another like that is very moving.

--

Beyond that, it would be Christy Moore singing that powerful ballad about James Connolly. 'Where Is Our James Connolly'- not the ****e rebel tune you often hear, but a solo song. It's amazingly powerful, if you listen to it in complete silence. A fine tribute.
    Who mourns the death of this great man
    Who mourns the death of this great man
    Oh bury me down in yon green garden
    With union men on every side

I've listened to that song on repeat before.
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=53522978

I think its worth a listen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Dlite

Don McLean - The Grave - you actually feel like you're at war.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, Vincent (Starry Starry Night) by Don McLean makes me well up every time. Can't believe I forgot it.

And American Pie has some very moving moments too. That man could pen one hell of a poignant ditty...

And there were so many really sad songs by the equivalent of teenybopper acts back in the 50s and 60s (Beethoven compared to today's teenybopper acts) that were always about a sweetheart being killed. Stuff like Ebony Eyes by The Everly Brothers (plane crash), Tell Laura I Love Her (racing track accident), Leader of the Pack by The Shangri-Las (motorbike crash which kills the bad boy with a heart of gold whom the protagonist's family has no time for but whom she's madly in love with), Johnny Remember Me (sung from the perspective of a dead girlfriend) and others but whose names I don't know - e.g. one about a girlfriend who drowns.

Have to admit one of the cheesiest songs of all time, Honey by Bobby Goldsboro, never fails to bring a tear to my eye... :o (it's not clear what happens to "Honey" but it appears she becomes ill and dies very suddenly).

And Fire and Rain by James Taylor - goosebump time... The urban legend is that Suzanne (what was it about American 60s/70s junkie troubadours and that girl? Cohen, Reed, Taylor - all sang about Suzanne! And I think Dylan covered Cohen's Suzanne too) was his girlfriend who lived in the UK while he was living in the States, so while he was recording an album and getting stressed out from it, the record company flew her over as a surprise but her plane crashed - "Suzanne, the plans they made put an end to you". In actual fact, Suzanne was a girl whom Taylor met in a psychiatric hospital - he was very ill with depression, which was compounded by drug abuse - and they became good friends (whether it was more than platonic is not clear) but James eventually had to leave her and was dismayed to learn later on that Suzanne killed herself...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

stink_fist wrote: »
    The Dubliners - In the rare old times

This one always gets me :o
    Yeah gets me too, such a sad song.

PrivateEye wrote: »
    I'm not even much of a fan of the band, but Death Cab For Cuties tune 'I'll Follow You Into The Dark'. That sounds weak and 'emo' and whatever else, but there's a story behind it.
    Absolutely amazing song and definitely one of my favourites but personally I don't find it sad, I know it is but I just don't feel the sadness when listening to it.

One that always gets me is Running To A Standstill by U2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

'Better'-- Tom Baxter, 'Nothing compares to you'-- Sinead O' Connor, 'The wind beneath my wings'-- Bette Middler, 'You're my best friend'-- Queen, 'The weakness in me'-- Keisha White

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Parrish_Crooks

Actually Tupac's Dear Mama is an extremely moving song...

+1 :)

Home Thoughts From Abroad by Clifford T. Ward (Who? Some 70s folky dude - one of many) is the kinda thing you'd hear on Lite FM type stations at 3.00 on a rainy Tuesday afternoon in October, but it's still fantastic and oh so moving. It's actually a really beautiful song, as is the song "Gaye" by him.

Oh yeah, and U2's One makes me really sad... I heard it was based on a conversation between a man and his son who is dying of AIDS.

The Pet Shop Boys are heinously seen by some as disposable, crap pop - wrong. Scratch the surface (which is ironic camp) and there is some extraordinary musical, lyrical and emotional depth. They can do melancholy remarkably. One particular such song by them is 1987's King's Cross - made all the more poignant by the fire tragedy at King's Cross underground station merely months after its release...

Oh and Prince could pen a heartbreaking ditty - Nothing Compares 2 U, Purple Rain and the really moving Little Red Corvette...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Oh yeah, and U2's One makes me really sad... I heard it was based on a conversation between a man and his son who is dying of AIDS.
    Not quite, it's about being addicted to heroin. In some of the clips on youtube you can see Bono miming shooting up. Quite sad and also references Ballymun Towers and a lot of drug related things. Listen to it again and it makes much more sense.

There are also better versions of the one I posted.

-edit- misread your post, thought you were talking about Running To A Stand Still.

Up The Junction by Squeez is also quite a sad song

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

One song that always does it for me is Moonshiner by Bob Dylan, its from one of his bootleg cds and his singing is just so heartfelt.

I'm not crying damnit...ive just got something in my eye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lacrimosa

yes

(1) la double vie de veronique -
    by polish composer zbigniew preisner for the movie under the same title, directed by krzysztof kieślowski

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bHC8XEfEYk
    or
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEVlDb43v-4

(2) henry lee -
    by nick cave - but solo version, not in duet with pj harvey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Johnny Cash - Hurt
    Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
    Colin Raye - Love Me
    Garth Brooks - The Dance
    Tupac/Elton John - Ghetto Gospel (more the video)

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Up The Junction by Squeez is also quite a sad song
    D'ya think? Yeah I suppose the sentiment is quite bitter but it doesn't sound sad. Wry and cynical yes, but it wouldn't cause tears...

Advertisement