Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

Options
  • 10-06-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

What are you going covering for this weekend? Really worried about timing myself and its easy to get bogged down in a question. What proofs do we need to know? I know all the moments of inertia proofs but would I need to know the parallel and perpendicular axis theorem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Katerrrs

Anyone got predictions for any specific types of questions that are likely to come up for 1,2,3,4,5 or 10? Majorly ****ting applied maths...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭tramoredude

The Wedge with the pulley is due in forces :(

Its horrible, Its exactly like the wedge question but the pulley always fooks me up.. So many reaction forces!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Well perpendicular is just pythagros and all you're doing with parallel is calling the radius (r - d) and remembering that Sigma.r.dm = 0, so they're not gonna chew up much of your study time if you do them.

I'm trying not to worry about applied maths until after physics. Hope I have enough time... badly need an A1 in this subject and only really know four questions (1, 3, 8, 10). I want to get some serious work done for 4, 5, 7 and 9 next week. Probably just gonna do the last seven years of exams. Should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm not looking at it until after physics (and I have music the day before too), which is a bit crap, as I too would like an A1. Got a B3 in the mocks though, bit of a jump... Though I got A1s in all my summer/christmas tests before that. Damn mocks.

I'd say I'll concentrate primarily on
    Projectiles
    Collisions
    Accelerated Linear Motion
    Rigid Body Rotation
    Newtons Forces
    and Differential Equations

But ideally I'll do all 9 questions (everything but hydrostatics) to be covered the best I can. Statics (q7) have just been screwing me over lately, though, and I've never liked relative velocity (2).

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Ye I've been getting A1s and A2s in Applied maths but i got a B1 in the mock. and i took an extra 10 minutes to finish a question on it aswell (i was doing it at home). I really want an A1 in this and i basically have 6 days after French to study Physics Applied Maths and economics. So I'm only gonna have like two days of study for this. I should be okay.

I'll just spend the whole day before doing every difficult question I can. anyone have Ollie Murphy for Ap. Maths?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭delta214

Im doing applied maths but have done no work in two years. Hardly done any homework either. Plan to study from after physics.
    Im screwed

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

doing 1,2,3,4,5,8,10 with 2 being extra q coz i dont like relative velocity that much bit worried there gonna throw something weird into the popular questions like the shm in 02

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

Sometimes I hate you guys :p
    Will do it after physics.
    Will have a few days to cover it all, have notes and 2 copys filled with answers to help me remember how to do stuff.

It shouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

What's rigid body rotation like? We didn't do it in class, but I'd like to get as high as possible and I only have 5 decent questions. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

tabouli wrote: »
    What's rigid body rotation like? We didn't do it in class, but I'd like to get as high as possible and I only have 5 decent questions. :/

I would suggest you focus on the dodgey question then.
    Would be better than trying a whole new question at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

tabouli wrote: »
    It's grand once you know it, but I wouldn't recommend learning it... it's a bit different to the rest of the course in that you're NOT dealing with a point mass, and there's a bunch of proofs to learn. Gotta get your head around it a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Do you need to know the proofs for para and perp axis theroms or just need to know how to state them?

Advertisement