Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion - Does anyone else in the country actually do it?!

Options
  • 10-06-2008 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Yeah, so I have religion next Thursday...which I thought would be a doss...and it isnt...I did quite bad in the mock...

Darn it!

Anyone else do it? Predictions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 benji91

yeah i do it aswel. i tink the sacred and profane might come up, thats an easy question and i tink chiara lubich and jurgen moltmann mite come up 2 if you've done them. also look at cults and sects and 2 new religious movements,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

I do it (what a bad decision that was). Basically I have a weekish to do the entire course myself as our teacher was awful :pac: And I'm still hoping to get a B3 (perhaps I'm a bit deluded). I got 53 in the pre's with 0 study just waffling and making up stuff so it can't be that hard, right?

I just wish the subject itself wasn't a boring, lifeless, ambiguous pile of you know what. It really is painful to study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

I never even new Religion was for the Leaving and i go to a Christians Brothers school!!! Wow, what would you even studay, does it like give you points??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Yes Resi12, why else would you take it up for Leaving Cert :p

I do it, our teacher seems to think that we will be at a disadvantage because we are taught from a Church of Ireland perspective :confused:
    However I have a good knowledge of Vatican II, and all the RC stuff for the Christianity section.

What modules are you doing for it?

I'm doing, A: Search for Meaning and Values, B: Christianity, C: World Religions, and E: Religion and Gender.

I got a good 5 days to study between German and Religion, so I should get the whole course covered.

Remember www.ress.ie is your friend, theres even a list of all the topics you could possibly be asked on.

Section A checklist - http://www.ress.ie/word/lcSectionA_Outcomes.doc

For whatever one you want just replace SectionA on the link with whatever section you want. e.g SectionC_Outcomes.doc

Cheers for the site! I'll have to take a look through it when time is more plentiful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭lovechem

I DO!! I'm going for an A. I got B3 with no work or study for two years in the pre's so I optimistic. I LOVE IT.

I got a B1 in the mocks, with a bit of study on Judaism and Christianity for world religions, few Bible quotes in my mind, and looking to the Christianity section Kingdom of God, and the philosophy, and the compatibility between Christianity and gender roles, women priests etc I should be fine I think. Hopefully an A2.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lovemaths

wow! other ppl do religion! :o

got a b2 in pres with NO work! so hoping to get b1:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 looly

Jakkass wrote: »
    I do it, our teacher seems to think that we will be at a disadvantage because we are taught from a Church of Ireland perspective :confused:

don't worry dude, im Methodist but i go to a Catholic school so i had to learn all that stuff from scratch as well as the course! im lookin at philosophy, characteristics of the kingdom of god, maybe the diff expectations and groups present at the time of jesus, the zealots and pharisees and that. for religion and gender, id say its goin 2 b either mary in the gospels or feminist theology.....

i really relaly really really hope its a nice paper, im lookin for an A1 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

this makes me lol

do you have honours and pass
    and do you get 100 points for an a1?

i have a religion class,
    our teacher ACTUALLY tried to make us buy books once!
    didnt happen,
    all we did was chat as a 'free class'
    and went on trips to places and bonded up to jc!

lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

we watched anchrman and green street and loads of other films in religion...didnt need a book

laura* wrote: »
    this makes me lol

do you have honours and pass
    and do you get 100 points for an a1?

i have a religion class,
    our teacher ACTUALLY tried to make us buy books once!
    didnt happen,
    all we did was chat as a 'free class'
    and went on trips to places and bonded up to jc!

lol

It's actually quite a complex course for Leaving Cert, and I don't think that Religion is a subject that should be laughed at. The study of philosophy and the differing beliefs of the world is key to understanding who we are. Actually I'll show you one of the exam papers (last year):
    http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2007/LC223ALP000EV.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lovemaths

im banking on philosophers or cosmologies to come up for section a. ther all im learning from that book! i think cults and sects will defo come up this year!

lovemaths wrote: »
    im banking on philosophers or cosmologies to come up for section a. ther all im learning from that book! i think cults and sects will defo come up this year!

Hopefully. Cults is one of the few easy sections (imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I would actually have liked to have done religion as an exam subject. We were made get books and actually learn about different religions for it, unlike the other classes who just chatted, but were never given the option of doing the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

My brother and I paid over 1000 euro for grinds last year.

The bitch came along at the start of this year and just said she couldnt do it anymore.

SO I studied it myself and got 30% in the mocks!!
    Dropped it... like a hot potatoe:D

Good luck to you all anyway, I would have loved to be able to join you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jobey

Religion is my favourite subject. Got a B1 in the mocks and hoping for an A :D

Our class did section A, B, D and I.

Anyone else doing Morality or Irish Experience section? Our teacher is great so I've always really enjoyed the class. He's also a very hard marker which makes me optimistic because I generally score quite well.

Religion needs a lot of work though, the marking scheme doesn't really allow for a ton of waffle imo. It's a lot more advanced than JC Religion.

Why do people think that it isn't a proper subject?! It's like doing anything else, there's an honours and pass course, and yes of course you get the same points as you would for any other subject! :p

I do A and B, but apart from that I differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Aaah, this looks like a grand subject, I totally would have done it. If I ever repeat(although I'd rather die) I probably will .

Advertisement