Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband Megaprices

Options
  • 10-06-2008 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭

Why is Eircom broadband 6MB costing somewhere between €107 and €204 per month (two quotes I got today) and UPC / NTL 6 MB costs between €30 and €36 per month? (depending if you want tv with it or not) Are Eircom being mad or are UPC being sneaky with a "6 MB" connection. I'm confused.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eircom are upgrading their speeds soon so this will make them more competitive. Also not everyone who can get eircom can get upc/ntl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Diceicle wrote: »
    Why is Eircom broadband 6MB costing somewhere between €107 and €204 per month (two quotes I got today) and UPC / NTL 6 MB costs between €30 and €36 per month? (depending if you want tv with it or not) Are Eircom being mad or are UPC being sneaky with a "6 MB" connection. I'm confused.

Its a different product. Cable vs DSL.

Compare UPC Cable here:
    http://www.upc.nl/internet/

to Orange ADSL:
    http://www.orange.nl/vaste_telefonie/orange_adsl_extra_telefonie/

or with the Eircom like provider KPN:
    http://www.kpn.com/internet/internet-bellen/abonnementen/InternetPlusBellen-Go.htm?sc_5=internetplusbellen:flash:go

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What exchange are you on? Is Smart available to you by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Diceicle wrote: »

The €204 price is the business enhanced package (€169+vat) which is currently being bumped up to 12Mb/1Mb from 6Mb/512kb. (However the 12Mb speeds are only available from certain exchanges, and I'm not sure of their plans to roll it out further).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Yakuza wrote: »
    The €204 price is the business enhanced package (€169+vat) which is currently being bumped up to 12Mb/1Mb from 6Mb/512kb. (However the 12Mb speeds are only available from certain exchanges, and I'm not sure of their plans to roll it out further).
    Every DSL enabled exchange by June was the announcement Eircom gave a few months back, though how likely that is I dunno.

• Advertisement
Advertisement