Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water2buy - Water softener

• 10-06-2008 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

I'm about to take the plunge (:D) and buy a water softener system for our house. I'm in Monasterevin, and the water is very hard here.
    I am going to go with the metered kit from water2buy.ie unless you guys tell me different.
    The system is diy fit and costs €490 delivered. It provides up to 2000 liters per day and will cover the whole house water supply. I am also going with their pumper 5 stage reverse osmosis kit to supply water for drinking, making tea and cooking. This costs €270, so I'm looking at just under €800 for the lot.

What do ye think of this? Good value?
    Bags of salt are cheap @ around €10 and with the two of us in the house, we're looking at a bag every 6-8 weeks. The RO kit needs new filters every 12-18 months @ €60 for the set.
    Seems to me that it's very reasonable to have fully filtered and softened water throughout the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Worried!!

I bought a softener, from the same company, in January and can only say we are delighted with it. Living in Drogheda we found the water to be quite hard and this is now a thing of the past. I have the timer version which suits my needs well. Ordered from water2buy.co.uk and took advantage of the exchange rate as it was only STG£200 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

If I try to get to the co.uk site, I just get redirected to the .ie site.
    A few questions for you woried if you don't mind...
    Do you drink the softened water? How does it taste? Is it noisy during regeneration? Does it keep up with demand?

Ta...!

We did not get the reverse osmosis setup for the cold water tap, but the softened water from the mains tastes fine now. In fairness the softener only removes the limescale, to my knowledge, so levels of iron etc will be the same. As there are only 2 of us in the house, it is set to regenerate every four days. This is done at night, at around 3am, so I cannot hear it. By all accounts the noise is minimal anyway. Just noticed the redirection from the .co.uk site to .ie now, looks as though they have stopped that then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

There is €60 difference between the timer and metered versions. Two people in our house as well, so if the timered version only needs a regen every 3 or so days, it would probably be better value getting that one then?
    I think I'll go with the RO kit for making tea, cooking and supplying drinking water. It's an extra €260 or so, but hopefully will be worth it.

As far as I know, the metered version will regenerate after a certain amount of water has been used, whereas a timed version regenerates after a number of days. We were recommended to set the softener to regenerate every 6 days for 2 people, however, have found every 4 days is better. Salt lasts around six weeks at about a tenner from Homebase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

C-Mar,

Did you end up buying that unit from Water2buy and if so, were you happy with it.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭zipzoc

to c-mar; would like to know how you got on too

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jc64

Hi there, long time since post here, hope ye are keeping well! Are you still using the system?

Advertisement