Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bankcards stolen, money withdrawn, what do i do?

• 10-06-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone could help or shed some light here I'm in a bit of trouble.
    I'm a 21 year old student on work placement in Dublin for 6 months who was robbed of bag outside my house containing ATM.

This was grand cards were cancelled bla bla bla but when the new one was sent I never recieved it and when I went into bank 1,400 was gone in withdrawals they say card and PIN was robbed in post (PIN came 3 days later) i.e. He/she who did this knew new PIN was coming after new card. I went to Guards also.

CAI say AIB should compensate. Financial Regulator bit more pessimistic but still the general feeling was they should pay up because of the principle I never recieved it.

I know the whole malarky of the whole bank thing once the pin is out thats that bladey bla, but they never even gave me my PIN in first place. I've made a complaint and sent a reconcilliation form for compensation and am waiting. If I'm not happy it's the Ombudsman.

Can anyone shed some light as to what happens here thanks I know this is boring but it has lost me my 1,400 tax back from work and if anyone knows anything it would be much appreciated.

Also how much of a lost cause is Guards getting camera footage from ATM's

Thanks a lot
    Sean

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

going to move this to the banking forum for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Sorry to hear that.

You should be good for a full refund provided that there happy to accept that you never got either the card nor the pin.

There are some Aib heads here, but I know it would be a full refund where i work. If your not happy with the outcome then take it further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i thought if you applied for a new/replacement card the pin arrives in the post after a few days and then you must go to the bank to collect the card?

so did the bank actually cancel the stolen card or did the thief just wait a few days then take your post containing the new pin and start using the previously stolen card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 seanwilliam4

Firstly thanks a lot all of you. Hopefully now we'll just wait and see if this form I sent comes back with some good news.

About the card,no it was not my original card that was used (It was the new one and what happens is they send out card and PIN 3 days later) as this was cancelled immediately and was of no use to he/she. The only reason that card was significant was it told the fraudster that I will be ordering a new one but it was void before he could use it.

Actually the title is somewhat misleading in that it suggests that AIB are fraudsters sorry about that!

Thanks a lot again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

no probs re title. I've changed it for you. It did originally suggest that AIB were defrauding you! Hope it all gets sorted out...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone could help or shed some light here I'm in a bit of trouble.
    I'm a 21 year old student on work placement in Dublin for 6 months who was robbed of bag outside my house containing ATM.

This was grand cards were cancelled bla bla bla but when the new one was sent I never recieved it and when I went into bank 1,400 was gone in withdrawals they say card and PIN was robbed in post (PIN came 3 days later) i.e. He/she who did this knew new PIN was coming after new card. I went to Guards also.

CAI say AIB should compensate. Financial Regulator bit more pessimistic but still the general feeling was they should pay up because of the principle I never recieved it.

I know the whole malarky of the whole bank thing once the pin is out thats that bladey bla, but they never even gave me my PIN in first place. I've made a complaint and sent a reconcilliation form for compensation and am waiting. If I'm not happy it's the Ombudsman.

Can anyone shed some light as to what happens here thanks I know this is boring but it has lost me my 1,400 tax back from work and if anyone knows anything it would be much appreciated.

Also how much of a lost cause is Guards getting camera footage from ATM's

Thanks a lot
    Sean

They will, of course, need to investigate (they can't just hand over refunds to anybody who comes in!), but they will refund you once their investigation is complete and a re satisfied that you didn't do anything wrong.

Do you know how your post was intercepted? Have you confirmed with your bank as to what address they have for you (it would be your responsibility to inform them of a change of address).

As regards the CCTV, the guards should investigate. Whether they do or not and whether anything comes from it is another story. If it was stolen by professionals, the money would have likely been taken out in another country.

Advertisement