Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business - How did you get on?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

jb_989 wrote: »
    Nooooo!! I was rushing so much that in question 7 part c i explained perfectly what feasibility study and prototype development was but never referred it to a product. I only realized that now, going through the paper :(
    Will i lose a lot of marks?

OMG I know how you feel I just realised the same thing reading through this topic. Can't BELIEVE I missed it!!!! There goes my hopes of an A1 :( :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

jb_989 wrote: »
    Nooooo!! I was rushing so much that in question 7 part c i explained perfectly what feasibility study and prototype development was but never referred it to a product. I only realized that now, going through the paper :(
    Will i lose a lot of marks?

Yes, yes you will lose a lot of marks.

You will get docked the lowest mark you got out of section 1 (Q1,2,3)...

I feel sorry for you, they don't put any emphasis on it in the paper or in class...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

Think you quoted wrongly @ above ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

My evaluation was: Yes, I think these elements blend well together as Fruit First have made over 1 million profits in the last 5 years and is now associated with the "National....Day" ( can't remember exactly, last line of second parg)

That's enough for 10 marks..

(that's a question, but my question mark symbol is broken)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

I don't know if you had to, but I quoted for my reccomendation just to back-up my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 AaronCregan

I thought the marketing mix in the ABQ would have been 5 points at 6marks each so I did Product, Packaging, Price, Place and Promo as my 5 points. My short questions took 30mins, my ABQ took me 50 mins so I was stuck for time for the rest because I was meant to spend 25mins per question in section 3 but I made up for it by getting through the Break-even chart and Q1 really fast. I was so happy when my BEP worked out, they never worked out for me in class.

I thought it was an easy paper but some of my answers weren't as structured as they normally would be mainly because of how the questions were phrased. I didn't like when the marking scheme was 15 marks for 2 benefits in one question because I didn't know how much information to give so I wrote as much as I could. I would have prefered the new product development process as a full question instead of being asked to do 2 parts of it by relating it to a product of choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

HL and i was VERY pleased Business is usually a chore and a nightmare but it was suprisingly easy except i had to rush at the end and left out a part A question but thats ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MaltEagle

Was a fair paper but I answered an extra question in Section 1 of the LQ's. Bit embarrasing for Business student of the year!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Yes, yes you will lose a lot of marks.

You will get docked the lowest mark you got out of section 1 (Q1,2,3)...

I feel sorry for you, they don't put any emphasis on it in the paper or in class...

I did the same thing it was only worth like 15 marks youll be grand thats like 1 and a half SQ's wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

ran tooooooootally out of time! id say what i did went pretty well but i could have done with like, another half hour! anyone else thing the ABQ was a dream?? spent way too long on it but it was practically spelled out for us i thought...the link thingys were everywhere...twas great!

Same as myself. Ran totally out of time. What I got down though was alright. ABQ was good enough. It was easy to find the quotes. A good paper

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

What did yee all write for part B of the ABQ? The part on how the firms benefits local and national economy??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Employment, Taxation, Local fruit used would benefit economy in the Midlands, and Investment that taxes such as Capital Gains would be recieved from the dividends and that they would be spent in shops etc and there would be a knock on effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

SRFC90 wrote: »
    What did yee all write for part B of the ABQ? The part on how the firms benefits local and national economy??

cant remember my exact headings but i put something like
    local:
    employment - creates 30 jobs, also encourages others to start up enterprise,inspires a culture of entrepreneurship,lowers social problems
    spin-off industry - went on about increasing sales in shops/supermarkets, and said she gets her cartons from a "local company" r something

cant remember my 3rd point

national:
    generates revenue - VAT,PAYE from employees etc
    decreases Gov spending - employment = less welfare payments,private investment was mentioned, said something about not having to invest as much in indigenous enterprise

blah blah blah....

well, something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

I can't believe it, i planned to have the ABQ and short questions done by 3:20 but i didn't finish until 3:50 :mad:
    Had an hour to do the 4 long questions!!:(,didn't have time to think about the questions i just wrote a load of crap and didn't even finish two sub-questions.
    The worst thing is i knew so much and i could have easily got a B(if i had a bit more time) but now i'll be glad to get a D. I'm so dissapointed as Business was my strongest subject and i put so much effort into it, if i'd just managed my time better. I think i'll have nightmares about it, my handwriting went totaly out the window for the last hour :eek:

There is just too much writing involved in H.L Business, surely 3 questions should be enough for the long questions why do they make us do 4? , its horrible. No other subject is so time constrained. I'm suprised i didn't have a panic attack. Thankfully i did well in the ABQ and short questions and that should pull me through to a pass at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

i agree, either one less question or an extra half an hour....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AaronCregan

HELLO132 wrote: »
    No other subject is so time constrained.]

Lucky you don't do Accounting then, it's just as bad, if not worse than the timing for Business. I do both at HL and they're the only exams I have to watch my timing in. But my teacher (i have the same teacher for both subjects) gave us a guide for how to manage the time which I tried in the mocks and did again today and it's so helpful. Sticking to her time limits, i've always had 10 minutes to spare at the end (just as she had planned) for looking over my paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Petie_Pie

Lucky you don't do Accounting then, it's just as bad, if not worse than the timing for Business. I do both at HL and they're the only exams I have to watch my timing in. But my teacher (i have the same teacher for both subjects) gave us a guide for how to manage the time which I tried in the mocks and did again today and it's so helpful. Sticking to her time limits, i've always had 10 minutes to spare at the end (just as she had planned) for looking over my paper.

I do both at HL aswell and i find accountin is nicely timed but business was HORRIBLE

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

I was very close to taking the ordinary paper thinking I wouldn't pass. Afterwards, I was glad I didn't. Was a fairly good paper! Much easier than my mock and I think I did well enough. Maybe a C...:rolleyes: I'd be happy with that!

I didn't find timing an issue, I was finished at 4:15. I looked over the paper and then left at 4:20. I was very pleased. I thought today would be my worst day with Irish p2 and Business but because I feel Business went well, I think it wasn't.

Short questions were alright. Great ABQ - I got 3 pages for the ABQ. I was delighted. Some of the long questions went better than others. Did Q1, Q5, Q6 and Q7.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭p3-fitz

wrote twenty pages felt i done well just that startegies for managing change through me off could do wit more time also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

oleary91 wrote: »
    I said about online shopping and video conferencing and all that

i said internet,email,cad,computer aided manufacturing etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

i do accounting and we did a second mock in may and timing wasn an issue...i just learnt to move on to diff question once time is up for that part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

Accounting can be lovely for timing.I mean flexible busgetting only takes 5 or 10 mins yet you're given 36 mins or so for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

Business didn't go all that bad for me! Having said that I never studied for the exam but I wrote loads. So lets see what happens. I wrote a blog post about it here

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lovemaths

thought it was very shody! :(

abq was grand, short q's were good but the long questions were horrific!:(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I know that two guys in my class had to leave out a 20 marker each, one of them only had 20 minutes left at the end to do his ABQ.

Business is the only exam that I have that I was worried by timing - its ridiculous its not given the 20 mins extra like Irish, English and Geography. Sure for Irish paper I, there was no way people would have really needed the extra 20!!

I hope I did well, got everything done, stated explain and gave examples for everything, and was really lucky cos everything that was predicted by my teacher for the long questions came up.

There was one of the girls who was about to drop down to pass, and she talked with our teacher and with us, and we convinced her to do honours - she was so glad, she thought she would have failed, but she felt great after it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

I have to say i new very little about business going into the exam as my leaving cert year didnt exactly go to plan... But i thought the test was very doable... Goin in i was full sure i was going to fail... But as i love geography a lot of the questions like TNC's, Global warming and the EU were ok.. I reckon i might just of passed... Anyone else think their Geography might have helped them out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rob-a-tron

john-btid wrote: »
    I took the higher level and was hopeing on an A.But the length of the paer was a bit runreal i didnt have half as much as i wished too.I got all the short questions out and they were very easy,the long questions out and really well answered but when in came to the ABQ well that wasnt grt.The questions were very good do.

Anyone else find the time factor an annoyance?
    Yeah I ****ed my timing up! Im good at business, got 82 in the mocks dunno what happened to me in the LC. At 4pm I still had 3 Q's to do!!! Mad pissed off with it, was hopin for an A but now i think i'll be lucky to get a low B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

I have to say i new very little about business going into the exam as my leaving cert year didnt exactly go to plan... But i thought the test was very doable... Goin in i was full sure i was going to fail... But as i love geography a lot of the questions like TNC's, Global warming and the EU were ok.. I reckon i might just of passed... Anyone else think their Geography might have helped them out?

Yes, for the EU Regulations - I talked about the CFP limiting trawlers in the Peripheral Western Ireland region to 9 days at sea per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Business is the only exam that I have that I was worried by timing - its ridiculous its not given the 20 mins extra like Irish, English and Geography. Sure for Irish paper I, there was no way people would have really needed the extra 20!!

Business is already longer than English Paper 1, Geography and Irish Paper 1. I'd have preferred more time for Geography to be honest as it has been one of my worst choice subjects so far. But, what has been done has been done, there is really no point complaining about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

Accounting.... I had time to do an extra budgeting question in both pre's. Not a bother for time.

Advertisement