Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Jetstream and Us

Options
  • 10-06-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

The Jet Stream and Us
    BBC 2: Monday, June 9 2008 (23:20 - 00:20)

Mon 9 Jun, 23:20 - 00:20 60 mins

BBC FOUR on BBC TWO

A jet stream is a ribbon of fast moving air high in the atmosphere and has been responsible for bewildering bomber pilots in the Second World War, turbocharging modern transatlantic flyers, the 1987 hurricane and the recent floods. Scientists now believe this powerful weather phenomenon is changing its pattern of behaviour and could have an even bigger impact on our climate. [AD,S]

Anyone see this last night? Very good and was an eye-opener to a amateur weather buff like myself. I remember hearing something about the jetstream being to blame for last summers crap weather, but i had no idea how much influence it has over our weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

The jet stream dictates the weather the majority of the time here in Ireland bringing the all too familiar wind and rain.

Last years summer the jet stream split in two, with the stronger arm of the jet to the south blocking off the azores high pressure moving closer to us settling down the weather and allowing the northern but weaker arm continuosly allowing low pressure in from the Atlantic.Both arms of the jet linked back up over the near continent and kept high pressure over there and Ireland and the UK under the influence of the Atlantic lows.

This setup also allowed a Sahara high which is baking hot airmass with dry winds to flow up into southern and south east Europe with day time temps above 40C most days.
    All this is due to the jetstream and its position.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Rare for me to pop in here outside of potential snow :pac: but I am curious as to what has been giving us the great weather we have had lately (well, on and off for a few weeks) and is it likely to continue? Loving it, BBQ's almost every weekend and lots of cold Heineken! Oh and some sun burn :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

High pressure to the north and now high pressure to our west.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

To sum it up, as my uncle says - Ireland does not get weather, it's just where the wind blows from - suppose it's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Danno wrote: »
    To sum it up, as my uncle says - Ireland does not get weather, it's just where the wind blows from - suppose it's true.

Yea, its the reason Ireland doesn't have Siestas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Nutlog!!!

Might I ask what actually causes the jet stream(s)?

I'm a newbie to things meteorological! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭kindredspirit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It seems to be in a bad position at the moment.
    South of us keeping the high pressure away. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Met Eireann say jetstream patterns same as last summer...another washout!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jackowens

Hi all ,Looks like Jet Stream is at long last going to give us a break next week and help us out weather wise,I am predicting a Nice High pressure battling a low to the north of us mid to late next week with the High pressure winning out for a while at least:)

Advertisement