Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business!!!!!!:mad:

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭cartman444

laura* wrote: »
    lol,
    i probably will call in to THE RYAN SHOW next week when i'm finished!
    ye guys better write in and agree with me!

we can and will do something about it :D
    yes, im actually going to be the president of ireland some day too!

you have my vote if you ever do go for it!!!!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

cool,
    i'll post a topic on monday or something and tell when ill ring in etc
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

That happened to me when I did my LC in 2006. I lost 60 marks, because I didn't go near a full question! :mad: I spent far too long on the ABQ.

But I got a B2 in the end, so I was really chuffed. Imagine what I COULD have earned, had I finished the 60 marker :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

It's not about being able to write fast though. It's about time management.

Trying to give as much information as possible just doesn't work. You just have to learn to give as much information as is required to get full marks....which isn't an awful lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 tannersxxx

OMG i totally know where you are cominf from!i just dont understand how people can write so far, it was SUCH a good paper, no like seriously i CRAMMED in the morning cause i dont do irish and im pretty sure i got by B and this is coming from someone who has never passed a class business exam cause i never bothered!miracle or what??and the thing is, i could have gotten my A if there had been an extra 25 mins:mad: but then again if i had taken the exam the day before i would have just crapped a C!!!
    urgh ive art history tomorrow...gonna cram for that now....wish me luck!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

Mark200 wrote: »
    It's not about being able to write fast though. It's about time management.

Trying to give as much information as possible just doesn't work. You just have to learn to give as much information as is required to get full marks....which isn't an awful lot.

I agree kinda with Mark. I know lots of people who write far too much when for most 25 mark questions, all you need is 5 main points. You'll get 2 marks for writing a title which doesn't take long, 2marks for a two sentence explanation and 1 mark for an example, so excessive writing isn't really needed.

That said, I'm a fast writer and I was still pushed for time, the exam should really be 3 hours and 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

How much did some people write? I had enough time to do an extra question and daydream for a few minutes. how slow of writers are ye?

eoin2nc wrote: »
    How much did some people write? I had enough time to do an extra question and daydream for a few minutes. how slow of writers are ye?

about a page for say a 15mark q...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

eoin2nc wrote: »

I wrote 17 pages including a graph page for break-even. Average sized handwriting. Answered everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

34 not including graph:p:p
    In 2 and a half hours???
    How did i manage that??? I didnt even finish my EU question:(

ps i have HUGE writing especially when im going fasr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

If this helps anyone who didnt finish a question....
    I heard of someone who skipped a whole question and still got an A2!!!
    He obviously got everything perfect but it shows they mark business quite easily.....hopefully:p

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

If this helps anyone who didnt finish a question....
    I heard of someone who skipped a whole question and still got an A2!!!
    He obviously got everything perfect but it shows they mark business quite easily.....hopefully:p

ya i heard that teacher say his student got that on 2fm too!
    but

i defo didnt have enof points and egs in my long questions to get the marks!

like for 20mark ques,
    it's expected 4 points+ egs
    and i wrote about 2/3 points and 2 egs!

i really dont think it was a fair paper time wise
    for the amount you had to write for them exact questions!

sure, maybe last years was doable in the time
    but not this years!

it's true too cause ALOT of potential A students
    are feeling the same way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

laura* wrote: »
    ya i heard that teacher say his student got that on 2fm too!
    but

i defo didnt have enof points and egs in my long questions to get the marks!

like for 20mark ques,
    it's expected 4 points+ egs
    and i wrote about 2/3 points and 2 egs!

i really dont think it was a fair paper time wise
    for the amount you had to write for them exact questions!

sure, maybe last years was doable in the time
    but not this years!

it's true too cause ALOT of potential A students
    are feeling the same way!!
    Got the exam finished with about 5 mins to go... and im a fast writer.
    My writing is small though so for a 20m question it was usually about a page, depends like.

For the ABQ I wrote a page and a half for the 30 mark question with small writing.
    Thats all I can remember and the exam was only yesterday!
    damn biology has my mind gone bonkers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Its definately the exam where time management is most crucial - i gave 36 minutes to the abq and short questions, and 27 minutes each to the longer questions, but once i finished my time on each question, I stopped went onto another

I ended up having about quarter of an hour left over for going back over the questions - did the short questions and BEA really fast. I was really lucky cos everything my teacher predicted came up. I thought the paper was one of the nicest in years

I don't understand why business is not given 20 minutes extra, whereas Irish paper 1, where most people are coming out of the exam an hour early is given the extra 20 minutes - ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rob-a-tron

cartman444 wrote: »
    im just after finishing the honours business paper and im really f**king p**sed off!!!!!! the paper was grand,knew the answer to every question but just because i cant write as fast as the A students i wont get near an A now!!
    I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!!! Im good at business, got 82 in the mocks, was expecting an A in the LC, but I fecked up the timing! Had 3Q's 2 do with an hr left!!!! Rushed them and didnt give enough points!

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

rob-a-tron wrote: »
    I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!!! Im good at business, got 82 in the mocks, was expecting an A in the LC, but I fecked up the timing! Had 3Q's 2 do with an hr left!!!! Rushed them and didnt give enough points!

I had four :p

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

I had enough time to do an extra questions, must be the speed writing skills history taught me.......

yes i agree you are so talented!!!
    p.s by talent I actually meant arrogant/cocky.......:p

I'm not cocky. I'm confident. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Plambey

im just after finishing the honours business paper and im really f**king p**sed off!!!!!! the paper was grand,knew the answer to every question but just because i cant write as fast as the A students i wont get near an A now!! i needed a B3 but i barely got my 3rd long q finished and was forced to write bullet points on the last 60 mark q!!!! what the f**k is the point in the stupid time constraint, Why cant they just give you an extra 20mins!!its not like the people who havent put in the work will magically remember the answers but it means punishes people who cant write fast!!!! arrggghh!!!:mad:

actually annoyed me so much too, i mean i was finished biology with around 45mins left, and yet here i am strugglin with my hand in bits to finish business, the hell!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

How could people write so many pages! I had like seven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Twee. wrote: »
    How could people write so many pages! I had like seven.

I think I had about 9. However I broke it up a certain way.

for 20 marks, 4 points in 3 line paragraphs.
    for 25 marks, 5 points in 3 line paragraphs.
    for 30 marks, 6 points in 3 line paragraphs.

Jakkass wrote: »

for 20 marks, 4 points in 3 line paragraphs.
    for 25 marks, 5 points in 3 line paragraphs.
    for 30 marks, 6 points in 3 line paragraphs.

how did you all do so little, were talkin about business!!! I think I did over 20 pages and I only did my last full q in bullet points!!

how did you all do so little, were talkin about business!!! I think I did over 20 pages and I only did my last full q in bullet points!!

We're talking business.. you're right. It's not about writing essays.. It is about bullet points. And watching the marks for each question. 20 = 4/5 points.. Not pages and pages of writing.

All answers are to be done in bullet point format.
    No wonder you ran out of time.

yeah but if you dont have enough detail you dont get full marks!!
    its sorta a lose/lose situation!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

My writing is small. 16 words per line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭fivetwenty

Wow, this exam is ancient - why can't we just drop it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It's what my teachers were saying for two years BULLET POINTS. The examiner should be able to see the paragraph and easily pick out relevant points. The last thing anyone wants to do mid-July is trawl through three A4 pages looking for points for a 20 mark question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Calorimeterman

Honestly, I feel that this three hour limit is better for business...

It stops the memerising student taking the subject as easy points as they have to think on the spot as opposed to writing as much as they know down on a sheet of paper.

Sure it does help those who write faster, but, more importantly, it hinders those who think it's ok to memerise some lines from a book to help them in the business world...

Well, they're my opinions, I don't do history, but there are obviously valid time complaint there. However, in business, we are encouraged by teachers to know more than we need to, and hence we run out of time...

My writing is small. 16 words per line.

:eek:

that explains it then I only get about 8 or nine per line so you really wrote like 18(in my writing lol):D:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Catikins

Sure it does help those who write faster, but, more importantly, it hinders those who think it's ok to memerise some lines from a book to help them in the business world...

But it's not about the business world for most students i'd say. It's a three hour exam where you have to write extra fast to get down everything you know about the subject. I don't see a problem with them learning exact things to say and writing them out, it's what the leaving cert is about.

I personally ran out of time and left the ABQ last. I managed to state each point within each question and quote for all of them.. then i had about 2 minutes to quickly scribble a development of each point. That's 4/5 marks for each point (if they were the right statements!) and i barely wrote a thing. It's more about stating the point than writing pages and pages and pages on it. It's easy to do that in business though, you could waffle on for ages (and pages) but get no marks for the waffle because there's no precise exact statement.

Advertisement