Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powertap wheel build

Options
  • 10-06-2008 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Where is the best place in Ireland to get a Powertap hub built into a wheel? Has anyone on here got this done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I know Rob (owner of Wheelworx) rides with a PowerTap built into his rear wheel.

Power training is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Freeman

I know Rob (owner of Wheelworx) rides with a PowerTap built into his rear wheel.

That's another option thanks for contributing. Although he may have a pre-built PT wheel
    Power training is excellent.

I agree, it doesn't seem too popular in Ireland though; not using PT anyway.
    I guess the cost is a huge factor.

I did some searching and found the 2 authorized PT dealers in Ireland as Cyclelogical in Dublin and The Bike Shop in Wexford. On this forum, people seem to have mixed reviews about Cyclelogical. The Bike Shop seems to have a good record.

One of the problems I'm having is deciding on the lacing pattern to use. I have a 24H Planet X 50mm deep rim and a wireless PT SL. The PT manual states that you have to use at least 2x lacing on the non-drive side.
    IMPORTANT:
    For your safety, the non-drive side of the
    PowerTap hub must be built with at least a
    2x lacing pattern. Because of the patented
    PowerTap design, torque is transferred
    through the hub to the non-drive side.
    Failure to adhere to this precaution will void
    the warranty.

After a lot of research, I have discovered you need to use the same lacing on both sides of the wheel. There seems to be a lot of discussion on whether to use 2x or 3x. I am thinking of using Sapim CX-Ray spokes because you won't have to alter the hub to fit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Pinarello

Freeman wrote: »
    Where is the best place in Ireland to get a Powertap hub built into a wheel? Has anyone on here got this done?

Tony o 'Mahony in O'Mahony cycles in Dungarvan did it for me.He built a Powertap Sl hub into a Mavic open pro 32 hole rim.I never broke a spoke or had to have it trued, ever.He is an excellent wheelbuilder as he used to build wheels for Sean Kelly. His phone number is 051 393375

Advertisement