Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway to be inundated

Options
  • 10-06-2008 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Apparently a radio programme this morning described how Galway was going to be inundated with endless rain as a result of climate change, while the east of the country would be dry and hot, and need water from the west...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Not much different there so, it always seems to rain more in Galway!

What was the radio station and who was saying it?

Can the Lisbon Treaty fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I read somewhere they are going to build a pipeline costing €600 million from the Shannon to Dublin.
    Dublin is short of water and it’s cheaper then building de-salination plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Charge them well for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i thought this was going to be about how the city is going to fill up with spaniards for the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i thought this was going to be about how the city is going to fill up with spaniards for the summer
    Ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

luckat wrote: »
    Apparently a radio programme this morning described how Galway was going to be inundated with endless rain as a result of climate change, while the east of the country would be dry and hot, and need water from the west...
    Would they really want water?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Hookers and Race Week were the first in my mind. As always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Not sure. The person who told me said it was either Tubridy of Morning Ireland this (Tuesday June 10) morning. Apparently some climate change guru was on ollagoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why? It's not like Dublin is soaked in shine shine 90% of the time, it rains maybe 20% less over there. If it doesn't come out of a tap pipe they won't drink it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

July wrote: »

might depend what radio station your listening to as to where the treaty can fix it.

would they trust the galway water in dublin after all the recent probs, heres a remind case its forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_Xp9C41wlA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭axiom32

think we have reached or quota on this as due to the over crowding in the spainish embassy on dominic st the poor souls have taken refuge in the roisin

anybody got any good pigeon spainsh???

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

ScumLord wrote: »
    Why? It's not like Dublin is soaked in shine shine 90% of the time, it rains maybe 20% less over there. If it doesn't come out of a tap pipe they won't drink it?

I don't agree. I think Dublin gets about 20% of the rainfall that Galway does, not 20% less!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Again with the overstating of climate change issues. It really annoys me.

Basically if things continue the way they are for 50 years or so then this might happen. What happens is the media go to some meeting/ press conference, pick the worst case scenario and then make out that that's exactly what's going to happen. No mention at all that it is a worst case scenario or that if action is taken now we might prevent it.

What is probable is we will get slightly wetter milder winters and warmer, drier summers. This is effect the whole country but since the south east already get less rain in the winter and sunnier times in summer they could, possibly, maybe end up with drought-like situations for a period in the autumn in about 50-100 years time. As I said it's an outside possibility, just as the fact that the climate won't change at all being an outside possibility.

All of these predictions would change if some way serious action is taken on climate change - and if the price of oil keeps going up then action will be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Why don't we just pick a city, build a giant wall around it and turn it into a reservoir? worked for the Chinese...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Why don't we just pick a city, build a giant wall around it and turn it into a reservoir? worked for the Chinese...

which brings us back to the another old question where are galways resevoirs (and not water treatment plants)

and sure if its this warm rain we keep getting and has little or no wind behind it i personnally enjoy it great for going out running in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oddly, I can't find the actual programme. My source thought it was either Tubridy or Morning Ireland on Tuesday, but I've tried Monday and Tuesday for both without finding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,406 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

kevmy wrote: »
    Again with the overstating of climate change issues. It really annoys me.

Basically if things continue the way they are for 50 years or so then this might happen. What happens is the media go to some meeting/ press conference, pick the worst case scenario and then make out that that's exactly what's going to happen. No mention at all that it is a worst case scenario or that if action is taken now we might prevent it.

What is probable is we will get slightly wetter milder winters and warmer, drier summers. This is effect the whole country but since the south east already get less rain in the winter and sunnier times in summer they could, possibly, maybe end up with drought-like situations for a period in the autumn in about 50-100 years time. As I said it's an outside possibility, just as the fact that the climate won't change at all being an outside possibility.

All of these predictions would change if some way serious action is taken on climate change - and if the price of oil keeps going up then action will be taken

Oooh! A Conservative! Relax, your house prices will proabbly fall anyway.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

It was raining here heavily today does that mean it's started already;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I was in Galway today.. it started pissing about Lunchtime and as i drove home it got less and less till it stopped when i got home to Westmeath...

Seems to have followed me though :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ff would lead you to believe the treaty will fix everything that they never could!Sounds like more eco propaganda,every week there's a new doomsday prediction.
    July wrote: »

Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

axiom32 wrote: »
    think we have reached or quota on this as due to the over crowding in the spainish embassy on dominic st the poor souls have taken refuge in the roisin

anybody got any good pigeon spainsh???

if roisins isnt the spanish embassy, what is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭July

Sea Devils wrote: »
    It was raining here heavily today does that mean it's started already;)

The same thought crossed my mind!

if roisins isnt the spanish embassy, what is?

the embassy is located between building formerly known as stranos and the pink thatched cottage opposite the beirhaus

it also doubles as an artist/performers/musicians drop out center

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

axiom32 wrote: »
    where are galways resevoirs

Belclare - outside Tuam is where the new one was built two years ago. I let my dogs swim in it at the weekend when no-one is around...

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Belclare - outside Tuam is where the new one was built two years ago. I let my dogs swim in it at the weekend when no-one is around...

'cptr

And as I said previously, I regularly pee beside the Terryland water intake :pac:

Advertisement