Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newfoundland

Options
  • 10-06-2008 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭

i am currently researching Newfoundlands as i am interested in getting one. Could anyone that has or have had one please tell me of their experiences and what i must ensure i have for the dog to be happy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I don't have a newfie myself, BUT from any information I have gleaned about them, you MUST have access to water (beach / river / lake), they love to swim, its their job!
    Not a dog for the average suburban back garden at any rate, these guys need space, and lots of it. I'm sure there are people that just keep them as back garden pets, but it's hardly ideal, is it? You would also need to be knowledgeable about diet, particularly as a growing pup / adolescent, any breeds of this size are particularly prone to skeletal developmental diseases. You must also be willing to put the time into coat care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

from what i have read i am lead to believe that u dont neccessarily need to have a massive back garden as they prefer to live indoors AS LONG AS you give them good exercise and in particular a swim. i am open to correction on this though.

i am also very interested on what the cost of buying, feeding, keeping a newfoundland is

also what are the pro's and cons's of such dogs

i know i have alot of questions but i am doing alot of research on the web and am just trying to get a wide variety of opinions

thanks for all the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

heres some info about this breed of dog.
    yes they are big dogs like the one in beethoven films.
    St. Bernards.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfoundland_(dog)

to be honest what am looking for is a "true life" what are newfoundlands like in reality, iv read dozens of descriptions on various websites and its like someone wrote a description of them and everyone just copied and pasted, what i know is that they are big, very big, bloody huge in fact, they love water and they have an excellent temperment, they shed alot of hair and are slobbery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Hey, we have a bitch and shes now 6years old. Such a loving dog, loves attention. They are so silly/stupid though, runs to you and forgets to stop :D They love nothing more then attention. She lives outside, recently we lost her companion and she is taking it SO hard, we don't want to replace the other dog so we are spending more time with the Newfie now as she is rather upset. Shes too big for our Cavaliers/Yorkies to leave play with and the Great Dane is only a pup (nearly one) and jumps up on her and shes not able.

Newfs are excellent with kids, they could hang out of her ears and wouldn't bother her. Shes a big bear is all :) Yes they do drool, but nothing a towel can't clean up. Mainly food starts the drooling and they are messy drinkers. They do like water, she plays in her water bowl a lot of the time but does not like the sea and more open water. We introduced her at a young age and she just tried climb up us so we stopped and stuck with a paddling pool when she was younger.

They don't eat a LOT people seem to think they do. I can't tell you exactly what shes fed cause we have this scoop that measures it out.

Our bitch is rather lazy, would lie in the garden with you for hours on end, even if you were up pottering about and wouldn't move.

The breeder we got her off had TWELVE in his house so im more then sure he would be willing to talk to you if you had any questions. I can find his number for you? They were situated in Kilkenny..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭theonlygirl

I have a newfie pup, he's now 12 weeks old and growing by the second! They're a gorgeous breed, really affectionate, but not the easiest to train. We have a 2nd little pup (golden cocker spaniel - in a moment of madness we decided 2 pups were better than 1) and the newfie is way behind in the toilet training stakes, while the other guy seemed to get it straight away. My newfie he also seems to run straight into things without stopping which will get tricky when he's older!

They are the only downsides though, I wouldn't say you need a whole lot of room, even as a puppy our guy tends to stay close and not want to excercise a whole lot. He loves to just chill out on the mat beside the back door and watch the world go by. And he definitely eats less than the cocker spaniel, who is growing a pot belly from eating from the newfies leftovers as well as his own dinners!

Definitely a beautiful temperament of dog, not very high maintenance, but I was advised by the vet to get pet insurance as he gets older as they do tend to have hip and heart problems like most giant breeds.

Thanks for the replies guys, I looked into the insurance thing about a week ago and allianz(i think they are the only ones that do pet insurance) charge €240 a year for a Newfoundland,

I will get over the whole drulling and shedding thing as it just means i might have to get up and do a bit of cleaning. I also presume i can brush its coat while watching tv so this shouldnt be too hard of a chore.

Aimee if you could please give me the breeders details id appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Check out http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/769648

They are breeders who operate a Newfoundland helpline for people who own or are thinking of getting a newfoundland, I found them very helpful when I was considering getting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Vas_Guy wrote: »
    Check out http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/dogs/769648

They are breeders who operate a Newfoundland helpline for people who own or are thinking of getting a newfoundland, I found them very helpful when I was considering getting one.
    be carefull when you buy from done deal as theres scams and puppyfarms on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Alan Ford wrote: »
    Please note this ad is not to sell pups or put you off buying one, we are owners/breeders with over 30years experience, we simply want to give you the facts about these Gentle Giants to help you decide if a Newf is the dog for you.

Think that link is pretty safe :)

@Officer Giggles, you could try that number or ill have the other one for you by the weekend..

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone, yesterday i made contact with Alison McVea via email, Mrs Mc Vea is the Chairperson of the Newfoundland Club of Ireland and has been more than willing to anwser my numerious questions. But if antone has anything more to add to this thread please do the more opinions the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭Vas_Guy

Alan Ford wrote: »

i agree, but they are not selling dogs jsut offering an information service for people considering gettting a Newfoundland.

These are responsible breeders who's dogs come with endorsemsnts only lifted when all the health checks are done, that's after a home check before tehy seel you a pup.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I heard that they get bad arthritis due to their size when they get older thus they don't have a long lifespan, is that true?
    I would really love to have one though but will be crammed in cities for as long as I can forsee :(

their lifespan seems to be between 8 to 10 years, and yes they suffer from hip problems and i think i read somewhere that they suffer alot from bloat so you have to watch when u feed them

does anyone have a rough estimate on how much it costs to actually feed the Newfie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

how much it costs depends on what your feeding him. raw butchers meat is best for dogs but it isnt alawys practicle from a storage and financial point of view. good meat based dry food is good, saty clear of the cerial based stuff its worthless to a dog. a decent bag of dry food will cost you about 20-30 euro. and i'd say a big dog like a newfound would get about 2-3 weeks out of it. i wolud recommend giving meat at least 2 twice a week. a good bag of dog meat should cost about 7-10 euro and that'll do 2 days of the week.

so id be talking about 20 at the most 30 euro a week, thats not too bad some people spend alot more than that on fags everyweek

about that. but as much good raw meat as possible. i feed mine on dry stuff mostly but at least twice a week if not more i'll give raw meat. its the best.

give him any meat and veg scraps from the dinner on top of his dry stuff also.

is their specific meat to get or will the butcher know the story, if raw meat is the best for him would it not be best for me to just go daily and get it

if its practicle by all means. ask for dog meat.my butcher gives me a bag with all differnet cuts and bits in it. if you can offord to buy meat from the butchers go for it. chicken beef and lamb are best. your dog will thank you for it. i ahve 5 dogs so having the money and storage space to keep meat isnt possible.

• Advertisement

what is the best brand of dog food and dogs biscuits(for treats when they are good) to get for a Newfie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

whitser wrote: »
    about that. but as much good raw meat as possible. i feed mine on dry stuff mostly but at least twice a week if not more i'll give raw meat. its the best.

I give my dog a marrow bone, that has raw meat on it, what other raw meat would you give your dog?

chicken lamb beef are best,give them bones and all.

what type/brand dog food would you give him, is their any book or website that would tell you how much and how often to feed your dog

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

With giant breeds like Newfs it is important not to overfeed them, especially when they are young. Too much too rich food when they are young and they will shoot up before their bones and joints have a chance to form properly.

Giant breeds have to be more or less "starved" into adulthood and once they're fully grown it is still very important to watch their weight, as every extra pound will take its toll on the joints.

It is therefore very important to get your Newf from a good breeder with experience. They will give you a good and correct diet plan for your dog for all stages of its life, so that it gets everything it needs, but not too much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Especially for a giant breed like a Newf, it's crucial that you feed them a very high quality diet from the start, that's appropriate to their age (eg puppy/junior and so on). I would say 20-30 euro is at the very bottom end of the scale in terms of what you should pay for a 15kg bag of dog food - most if not all of the dry foods in that price bracket contain a lot of cereal fillers, nasty artificial preservatives that are already banned in human food production and pretty yokky meat derivatives - in other words, carcass by-products of the animal slaughtering business or meat that has not been passed as being fit for human consumption - e.g. because the animal was ill.

You should be looking for a complete food that lists a meat or meat meal as its main ingredient, and expect to pay 50-70 euro per 15kg bag. Brands to consider would include Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Burns, Arden Grange, or Nutro. Work out how many grams per day you should feed an adult Newfie, then work out how long a 15kg bag will last you. I'd imagine a fully grown Newfie would go through a full 15kg bag in a month to six weeks tops.

There is enormous debate surrounding raw-food diets for dogs - I would not go down this road without doing a LOT of research. Raw meat alone will not meet all of the dog's dietary requirements and it is a challenge to ensure that a home-cooked/raw diet caters for all the dog's nutritional needs. The decision to feed your dog bones should also be very carefully considered, as there are risks involved.

boomerang wrote: »
    Especially for a giant breed like a Newf, it's crucial that you feed them a very high quality diet from the start, that's appropriate to their age (eg puppy/junior and so on). I would say 20-30 euro is at the very bottom end of the scale in terms of what you should pay for a 15kg bag of dog food - most if not all of the dry foods in that price bracket contain a lot of cereal fillers, nasty artificial preservatives that are already banned in human food production and pretty yokky meat derivatives - in other words, carcass by-products of the animal slaughtering business or meat that has not been passed as being fit for human consumption - e.g. because the animal was ill.

You should be looking for a complete food that lists a meat or meat meal as its main ingredient, and expect to pay 50-70 euro per 15kg bag. Brands to consider would include Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Burns, Arden Grange, or Nutro. Work out how many grams per day you should feed an adult Newfie, then work out how long a 15kg bag will last you. I'd imagine a fully grown Newfie would go through a full 15kg bag in a month to six weeks tops.

There is enormous debate surrounding raw-food diets for dogs - I would not go down this road without doing a LOT of research. Raw meat alone will not meet all of the dog's dietary requirements and it is a challenge to ensure that a home-cooked/raw diet caters for all the dog's nutritional needs. The decision to feed your dog bones should also be very carefully considered, as there are risks involved.
    i feed with feedwell and have found it good for a dry food. i've used it for years now. a lot of men who keep working dogs use it and working dog men wouldnt feed crap. as for meat,dogs have survived and evolved to eat meat. i also recommended that the chap feed veg scraps aslso. bones that arent cooked are quite safe for a dog to eat. take it from me,anyone who keeps working dogs will tell you that meat is best, and working dogs need good nutrition or they cant do their job. just because a bag is more expensive doesnt translate to it being better. are an over priced pair of nike better trainers then a cheaper pair? of course not,all packaging.

thanks for all the advice guys

i wasnt saying i was going to get a 15kg bag of food for €30 i said that the speed at which the dog will eat the food will mean that on average it will cost me €20-30 a week to feed him

i know Newfie's dont like being left alone "all day" but what is meant by this obviously people have to work!!!!!

there is a show on in swords on the 21st i think im going to go and get a look at these beasts in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

whitser wrote: »
    i feed with feedwell and have found it good for a dry food. i've used it for years now. a lot of men who keep working dogs use it and working dog men wouldnt feed crap. as for meat,dogs have survived and evolved to eat meat. i also recommended that the chap feed veg scraps aslso. bones that arent cooked are quite safe for a dog to eat. take it from me,anyone who keeps working dogs will tell you that meat is best, and working dogs need good nutrition or they cant do their job. just because a bag is more expensive doesnt translate to it being better. are an over priced pair of nike better trainers then a cheaper pair? of course not,all packaging.

I completely disagree. Feedwell, like a lot of brands in that price bracket, is poor quality. We've taken in a lot of dogs from "working dog men" in poor condition, because cost is a bigger factor for many of them when it comes to feeding their dogs, rather than quality. I've seen enough dogs come into rescue with dull, lifeless coats and skin conditions because they've been fed cheap dog food like Feedwell, Kasco, etc. etc. Put them on a decent (and more expensive) food like Arden Grange or RC, and in a few weeks, they're on the mend and their coats begin to shine. I don't consider such brands to be overpriced - you get what you pay for.

Yes, dogs have evolved to eat meat primarily, but not meat alone. It's hard to balance a dog's diet when you make it up from scratch yourself. That's why I don't recommend anyone try it unless they've done some serious homework.

There are dangers to giving a dog raw bones, not least of which is chipped teeth, not to mention bowel obstructions. So again, I'd do my research and weigh up the pros and cons before deciding on whether to feed a dog raw bones or not.

• Advertisement

Thanks boomerang

can the food brands you mentioned be bought in most places

i.e. Royal Canin, James Wellbeloved, Burns, Arden Grange, or Nutro

Advertisement