Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ann Gleeson, SHUT THE HELL UP!

• 10-06-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

I am a regular listener to TodayFM and everytime i hear this woman's voice, or to be exact her "laugh" i feel like battering innocent orphan babies and spitting in grannies faces.

It is the most forced, absolutely fake, contrived effort i have ever heard. No matter what the fcuk is uttered, no matter how funny, sad or serious this wench emits her standard ear bleed inducing "laugh". Is she tyring show how fun, happy and hip she is? Well i got news for ya, your not! What you are is bloody annoying, so shut your cake hole in future, ok petal? If it's not funny then you don't have to do your "laugh". The listeners will not think any less of you if you are not laughing like a braying donkey ever two minutes.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

aka Marian McKeown syndrome - surprisingly super-irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I am a regular listener to TodayFM and everytime i hear this woman's voice, or to be exact her "laugh" i feel like battering innocent orphan babies and spitting in grannies faces.

It is the most forced, absolutely fake, contrived effort i have ever heard. No matter what the fcuk is uttered, no matter how funny, sad or serious this wench emits her standard ear bleed inducing "laugh". Is she tyring show how fun, happy and hip she is? Well i got news for ya, your not! What you are is bloody annoying, so shut your cake hole in future, ok petal? If it's not funny then you don't have to do your "laugh". The listeners will not think any less of you if you are not laughing like a braying donkey ever two minutes.

What the F**k are you on about?

Ann Gleeson is brilliant. She only adds to an excellent show. Have you ever thought that's the way she laughs? I'm sure some people would find your laugh ridiculous, what ever it sounds like.

She is very funny. You obviously don't know good radio!

now lads I'm sure we can have a civilised discussion without things getting heated. We're all entitled to our opinions, etc.

Fair enough. We can be civilised.

But it was just annoying to see that someone didn't like Ann!

If you don't wan't to listen, there are other stations.

thank you :) As for Ann, it's the nature of the beast - not Ann, of course, but public broadcasting - expose anyone to a wide enough audience and they'll annoy someone eventually. It's rarely personal tho.

• Advertisement

tbh wrote: »
    thank you :) As for Ann, it's the nature of the beast - not Ann, of course, but public broadcasting - expose anyone to a wide enough audience and they'll annoy someone eventually. It's rarely personal tho.

That's a good point.

Why did he take it so personally? I like Ann but In the same way i like Corn Flakes. I don't go out of my way to get them, but when i do, I'm happy.

haha, fago, actually I meant it was you that was taking it personally :) I don't mean to speak for fozzie bear, it's just that I had a thread saying the same thing about Marion McKeown on The Last Word - she does the same thing. It's very annoying and I had a rant but I don't wish her any harm or anything!

haha, fago, actually I meant it was you that was taking it personally :) I don't mean to speak for fozzie bear, it's just that I had a thread saying the same thing about Marion McKeown on The Last Word - she does the same thing. It's very annoying and I had a rant but I don't wish her any harm or anything!

Fair enough! I took it seriously too. (I was in a bad mood)

Apologies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blessed are the moderators for they shall spread a calming balm.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Predhead

Anyone reckon Fozzie's Ann Gleeson's jilted ex? :D

• Advertisement

Predhead wrote: »

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Humour. Are you going to be a "difficult" poster?

Its not been unknown for "interested parties" to wade into a thread and have a pop at someone.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Fago_25 wrote: »
    What the F**k are you on about?

Ann Gleeson is brilliant. She only adds to an excellent show. Have you ever thought that's the way she laughs? I'm sure some people would find your laugh ridiculous, what ever it sounds like.

She is very funny. You obviously don't know good radio!

I know good radio and she is ruining it! Listen to her the next time she is on. Just pay attention for a few minutes and think about it. It's like she is trying to be just as cool and funny as everyone else in the gang. It reeks of trying too hard, that bloody forced laugh. No matter what random comment or word is spoken she is off and she is usually the only one laughing. I'm not disputing some of the stunts they pull with her are good but god almighty that laugh goes through me. No no no! Her laugh is just odious and there is no way in hell it's just the way she laughs or natural. Nobody finds every second random comment uttered by Foley to be high-larious. (at least not unless they are hitting a bong or crack pipe pretty hard):eek:

Predhead wrote: »

Ha! I wish. Having seen a picture of her I would have no problems with you spreading that particular rumour. :D

Exactly it. I have nothing personally against her, i'm sure she is lovely, a delight to be around and the very life and soul of the party. I have never met her, talked to her or seen her in the flesh. It's just that laugh..... I'd like to rip out her tounge and strangle her with it when i hear it.... (is that a bit too personal:p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cookpasbabtridg

Fozzie, 2 prozac, several deep breaths and turn the farkin station.

Fozzie, 2 prozac, several deep breaths and turn the farkin station.

I'm already on the Prozac as well as electric shock treatment...... tis not working!

I don't want to turn the station as I enjoy most of TodayFM's shows (apart from Tony "smashey and nicey" Fenton and some of Darcy's pompous preachey crap). And whats the alternate? Fathead Ryan, Nicky Hazey and Rick O'Shea? I think not! I'd rather record Gleesons laugh and put it on continuous play on the iPod...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

i have to agree her laugh is like a cat being strangled! i dont think its much of a coincidence that she used to be on PET SOUNDS with tom dunne! i dont think its just her, i think the whole ray foley show is a bit up its own ars*e the way foley goes on about introducing people to new music for instance
    it also just seems a bit scripted at times, although it is the best of a bad bunch at that time of day on the radio

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Please read the charter. Any more discussion of Mr Foley will result in a ban and infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

NOTHING is more painful to listen to on Today FM than that one who reviews movies on The Last Word - Tara Brady from Hot Press: "Oi thought it was... eh... em... an exawmple of... a post-structuralist juxtaposition between two opposing dichotomies... y'know... in the metaphysical sense. Oi mean, take a director like FW Murnau... eh... em... you can see his approach reflected... um... in this particular work... So yeah, I'd recommend you go to see What Happens in Vegas."

Then her other typical tack: "Loike, don't be such a snob just because... eh... just because it's not, y'know, art-house. There's nothing wrong with... eh... embracing kitsch, working-class culture..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Dudess wrote: »
    NOTHING is more painful to listen to on Today FM than that one who reviews movies on The Last Word - Tara Brady from Hot Press: "Oi thought it was... eh... em... an exawmple of... a post-structuralist juxtaposition between two opposing dichotomies... y'know... in the metaphysical sense. Oi mean, take a director like FW Murnau... eh... em... you can see his approach reflected... um... in this particular work... So yeah, I'd recommend you go to see What Happens in Vegas."

Then her other typical tack: "Loike, don't be such a snob just because... eh... just because it's not, y'know, art-house. There's nothing wrong with... eh... embracing kitsch, working-class culture..."

Nah man, the girl who does the tech review slot is much much worse.
    TBH there are a lot of features on the last word that have me reaching for the dial...thankfully most of them aren't on till after 6.30 and I'm already out of the car by then...

I don't know this Ann Gleeson, but that's because I prefer the sound of my own bones being crushed than the 2 hour long crisps ad...if she's anything like that yoke like from caark like that talks like this like on Darcy's slot like, then I can commiserate with the OP....god just STFU already...

• Advertisement

Oh yeah, the tech one - sounds like a precocious 16-year-old.

Wertz wrote: »
    if she's anything like that yoke like from caark like that talks like this like on Darcy's slot like, then I can commiserate with the OP....god just STFU already...

I assume your talking about that "Comedien" Maeve Higgins and cann only agree 1000000% with you.

She is the most anoying thing i have ever heard. Also considering she's a professional Comedien, She's the most Un-Funny person in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Ah so that's who Maeve Higgins is....good to put a name to the annoyance. Like.
    Comediene? Aren't they supposed to make people laugh?...she probably couldn't get this Ann Gleeson to laugh from the sound of her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭earwicker

Dudess wrote: »

Spot on. I can *just* about get past the mid-Atlantic drawl, but her "ehs" and "ums" compel me to stop listening. Surely there must be something (something...a course...anything) to help her with this problem.

Grrr... Can people not express their opinions as you just did at the end of your post? How come it wouldn't be a problem if they praised her?
    I agree, there's no need to resort to personal abuse of a presenter, but telling people to change channels and keep their opinions to themselves just because one doesn't agree with them, is getting boring now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

Spont on here about her laugh. It is terrible!! So raspy and vulgar. I often text in giving about about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Ann Gleeson singing that Barbie Song.......i just have to change the station. Her voice is a creaking irritation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FabFahey

Oh my God are you guys serious?? I think that Ann girl is really funny!! She doesn't seem to be on air much though , but when she is it's hilarious. She seems pretty cool & chilled. Best thing to happen to the Foley show if you ask me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

FabFahey wrote: »
    Oh my God are you guys serious?? I think that Ann girl is really funny!! So do all my friends. She doesn't seem to be on air much though , but when she is it's hilarious. She seems pretty cool & chilled. Best thing to happen to the Foley show if you ask me.. Didn't hear her much on Darcy show but she was class on Tom Dunnes before...

Hi Ann...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 FabFahey

Ahem, ah no afraid not. I wouldn't mind earning her wage though- Bet its better than mine! ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

Ahem, ah no afraid not. I wouldn't mind earning her wage though- Bet its better than mine! ha ha.

ha ha ha Isn't Ray D'arcy only mad as well? Me sister in law the ban garda met him down in Ballinascroe last year and she said hes gas craic altogether, her and the girls had their photos taken with him and everything

Not necessarily - having worked as a radio researcher, I can state the money is often utterly woeful. It depends though on the show/station but you'd never be rich on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Manimal wrote: »
    ha ha ha Isn't Ray D'arcy only mad as well? Me sister in law the ban garda met him down in Ballinascroe last year and she said hes gas craic altogether, her and the girls had their photos taken with him and everything

Quality,nails down everything thats wrong with that awful program.

Anyway she has always ticked me off,even on Tom Dunnes show (she was on it constantly a few years back I think?) she was doing the same trying too hard to be wacky and zany crap that she seems to base her whole on air persona on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

I also hate Ann Gleeson. Her voice is the most annoying thing on the radio at the moment.

Anto McC wrote: »
    I also hate Ann Gleeson. Her voice is the most annoying thing on the radio at the moment.

Ann Gleeson is great. so shut it or I'll come around there and thump you! :)

• Advertisement

Private Message for you!

joking or not, that's not acceptable in this forum, especially after I had commented on another posters use of jokey violence. Please don't do this again. I accept that you probably didn't see the edit message, so no further action this time.

Mods can see edited posts, and had you not edited your post to remove references to those we cannot talk about, you'd be sitebanned. I'm not joking.

joking or not, that's not acceptable in this forum, especially after I had commented on another posters use of jokey violence. Please don't do this again. Mods can see edited posts, and had you not edited your post, you'd be sitebanned. I'm not joking.

I know this guy.

Didn't know it'd be taken seriously. Apologies anyways.

Steve.

Xxxx

thank you, I appreciate the kisses :)

take it to pm guys.

We did :)

• Advertisement

She is back this morning big time with her horrible HORRIBLE laugh!!!

Down with her!!!

Horrible Laugh!!!

The horrible laugh in all its glory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4brn_bk56M

Sorry to annoy you immensely!!

Advertisement