Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout question!

Options
  • 10-06-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure about the majority of stuff on the test, and although my particular question won't be on the test, it's still something that's bugging me. I've noticed a lot recently that when I'm approaching a roundabout in heavy traffic (say in the morning or at between 5 - 6 pm) a lot of people who are going STRAIGHT approach in the RIGHT lane to do so, therefore skipping the larger queue of people waiting to go straight.

Is this right or wrong? I counted 13 cars do it in 5 minutes today, and a lot of them approached indicating right, went the whole way around the roundabout and exited in the left hand lane. To me this is sneaky and tells me they shouldn't really be doing it but since so many people seem to do it I'm wondering if it's allowed when traffic is heavy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I would not do this during a driving test. You're asking for trouble. The left hand lane if for turning left, no matter what the traffic is. You must follow the road markings on the roundabout, not doing so would result faults on road positioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I would not do this during a driving test. You're asking for trouble. The left hand lane if for turning left, no matter what the traffic is. You must follow the road markings on the roundabout, not doing so would result faults on road positioning.

That wasn't actually my question. I was wondering if you are actually allowed to approach a roundabout in the right hand lane if you intend to go straight, if traffic is heavy. I don't think you can but since so many cars seem to do it I was wondering if, under certain circumstances, this is allowed.

ergonomics wrote: »
    That wasn't actually my question. I was wondering if you are actually allowed to approach a roundabout in the right hand lane if you intend to go straight, if traffic is heavy. I don't think you can but since so many cars seem to do it I was wondering if, under certain circumstances, this is allowed.

Woops, sorry misread your post:rolleyes:
    No, use the left lane for driving straight through the roundabout. Unless there are road markings telling you otherwise, (it's uncommon but it happens). The rules don't change with increased congestion.

No worries! Question answered, thanks. I was mainly wondering cause when I saw loads of people doing it earlier I decided that I would blow anyone off the road who cut me off by using the right hand lane. Needless to say, I did end up blowing someone off the road but I started wondering then if he had actually been doing anything wrong at all!

He did actually stay in the left hand lane all the way to the next roundabout though so at least I got through to him! :D

Irish drivers + Rush hour traffic = make up rules as you go along!

You were right to stick to your guns!

But, as i said above, just keep an eye on road markings, it's unusual but sometimes the left had lane is restricted to turning left only, in which case you can use the right lane to continue straight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

It happens me on a daily basis on the Dublin road roundabout in Kilkenny. I have to allow for the fact that someone is going to try cut me off on it, because it happens so often. I've had loads of near misses because people wont wait the extra 5-10 mins in the queue.

Nightwish wrote: »
    It happens me on a daily basis on the Dublin road roundabout in Kilkenny. I have to allow for the fact that someone is going to try cut me off on it, because it happens so often. I've had loads of near misses because people wont wait the extra 5-10 mins in the queue.

That is the exact roundabout I was talking about! I travel from the Waterford road all the way over to the one by Johnswell twice daily and this ONLY happens at Dublin Road. It's strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I travel from the waterford road roundabout to the Dublin road twice daily also, and I've seen it once or twice on the Bennettsbridge road, but consistantly on the Dublin road. I think people are used to using it the old way, when there were only 3 exits on it, and also, just being completely cheeky and dangerous.

Advertisement