Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car - Can I collect now, & tax until July?

Options
  • 10-06-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

My dealer informed me my new car is in the country for July delivery. Could I request to get the car now, just tax until July, and then take advantage of the lower tax rate from then ? I am sure yes, right ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

No becaise your car will be registered before July and its only cars registered after July that benifit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

Minimum period is three months, unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

eddiem74 wrote: »
    My dealer informed me my new car is in the country for July delivery. Could I request to get the car now, just tax until July, and then take advantage of the lower tax rate from then ? I am sure yes, right ?

Motor tax, yes, My Jan 08 S-Max will be taxable at the new, lower CO2 based rate when the current tax runs out.

However, if your car is a post July model, registering it now could cost thousands in extra VRT, and the price you've been quoted takes that into account. What sort of car/engine/CO2 rating has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

IIRC, you can opt into the new tax bands once the car was regisrtered in 2008, but as Zube said, you could save thousands by waiting a month or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

What car have you bought?
    Is the price of it going up or down in the new VRT regime (affecting the purchase price of your car)?
    What is the pre and post-July road tax rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Yeah, yeah, your right, forgot about the VRT impact, was just getting excited when I heard the car was hear. It's a 320d M Coupe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Wait until July to reg it!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eddiem74 wrote: »
    Yeah, yeah, your right, forgot about the VRT impact, was just getting excited when I heard the car was hear. It's a 320d M Coupe.

lucky you! but as said above wait until after july to register it.
    did you talk to your dealer? ask them what would the implications of taking the car now or after july?

they might give you the july price now if there pushed for sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Why would you pay at least €7,021 more if it's an Auto and at least €8,794 more if it's a manual just so you can have it 3 weeks earlier?

Even if they were giving you that much off you'd still be paying old tax rates for at least 3 months, which are between €300 and €440 more over the entire year:confused:?

The car must be registered on or after July 1 to get the lower VRT and road tax of course though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Cheers guys, will be holding off the few extra weeks. Thanks again ! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement