Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biology

Options
  • 10-06-2008 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Right exam is thursday,and I seriously need a bit of advice with the experiments,which are hot topic for this year???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

demonstrating Osmosis
    Enzyme action cant remember either heat denaturation or different phs
    some elses suggestions were extracting dna from plant material
    Excersise on pulse rate
    Iaa on plants

and i cant really remember anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

the dna one with the kiwi/onion

apparently something re: the effect of exercise on the heart rate is on

leaf yeasts/digestive enzymes in plants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Didnt DNA come up last year? or the year before?

Iv heard itl be Osmosis, Heart Dissection/Physical Exercise on Heart Rate and the IAA thing.

We never even did the IAA in class, so i pray that doesnt come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

leaf yeasts came up last year as did the dna extraction one...
    Im guessing it'll be:
    osmosis
    IAA
    enzyme heat denaturation

only 3 that havnt come up i think. Though osmosis seems a bit too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

what they started doing in the exam papers is instead of having a long expt question, they might put a few short questions from different expts. also, the whole biology course is changing again in a couple years so they might be inclined to put up more expts to get them examined before the course changes. that's what my teacher said anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

22diamonds wrote: »
    what they started doing in the exam papers is instead of having a long expt question, they might put a few short questions from different expts. also, the whole biology course is changing again in a couple years so they might be inclined to put up more expts to get them examined before the course changes. that's what my teacher said anyways
    That would be nice, there the only things I really know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

respiration...photosynthesis experiment came up last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Peslo

jessie11 wrote: »
    respiration...photosynthesis experiment came up last year
    Yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

Eugh, I hate IAA, along with everything on plants (reproduction, responses). It's sooo boring and difficult to learn. It better not come up :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

Howya john!! i see 6 months with miss o hoolahoop got us both panicking about biology!!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

The more I try and study this the more I feel im screwed, gonna stick with the honours but im seriously worried about failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kennym_27

1huge1 wrote: »
    The more I try and study this the more I feel im screwed, gonna stick with the honours but im seriously worried about failing.

Were both in the same boat then. I failed the mock, and want a C3 now, havent done much study since, so dont know wtf im gonna do. Hoping for a miracle? :confused:

1huge1 wrote: »

Dont worry, it'l be fine.

Last year, I was convinced I would fail bio.. still did honours.. the night before I went through ever summary in the book and came out with a D2.. That was a SHOCK after getting like.. 29% in my mock!

I'm thinking I'll just leave out all of plant biology. Do you think that I'll still have a chance of getting a B2 if I know everything else fairly well including the expts? Plant biol is probly just one long q and one short q anyways. what do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

I'm thinking I'll just leave out all of plant biology. Do you think that I'll still have a chance of getting a B2 if I know everything else fairly well including the expts? Plant biol is probly just one long q and one short q anyways. what do ye think?

80% of the test is based on experiments and section 1 and 2 so yeah if you know all that stuff well I'd say you stand a good chance, provided 2 plant experiments don't come up. I'm thinking of doing the same but just knowing the basics in plant biology (in case of short q's) and having a vague idea of the experiment (they aren't that hard to learn). I do need an A1 so hopefully it'll be a nice paper with as little plant stuff as possible :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dmccaff

I'm just focusing on units 1 and 2.. will probably leave out genetics but as I hate the topic. Will probably study excretion, female reproduction and the senses most.

thanks yeah I'll learn all the expts but leave out the plant chapters. I'd love to leave out genetics... agh! Sure biology is over forever tomorrow!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭salman85

you can get an A1, if u know rest of ur stuff (u have to know photosynthesis tho, cuz theres one question on that in short qs + another on plant)

Advertisement