Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card to buy uk car

Options
  • 10-06-2008 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

hi there,
    can anyone tell me if it is possible to load my credit card with lots of money in order to buy a car in uk - from a garage? or will i need bank drafts or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

i've never heard of a limit on the amount of money you can load on your credit card. Maybe just give them a quick ring to double-check that its okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

You can put extra on your card, but i would call them to check.

Who is the CC provider?

If its BOI you can load it up as much as you want. Its not usual a good idea and the bank do not like you doing it. Cause if your card is robbed it means your only cover up to your limit!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

foureyes wrote: »
    hi there,
    can anyone tell me if it is possible to load my credit card with lots of money in order to buy a car in uk - from a garage? or will i need bank drafts or something else?

A Garage is charged by which ever Processer it uses, maybe 1 or 2% of the value of transactions, so they might not be keen to allow you to pay by credit card, or may seek to charge you a premium for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

The Garage is likely to charge you between 1.5% and 2.5% for the privelege if they do take it.

I did buy a car in the UK in the past and that was one of the methods of payment I had asked about, they said they'd have to charge one of the above amounts (can't remember which).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You can put extra on your card, but i would call them to check.

Who is the CC provider?

If its BOI you can load it up as much as you want. Its not usual a good idea and the bank do not like you doing it. Cause if your card is robbed it means your only cover up to your limit!

As Unclebill said, I wouldn't recommend it for exactly the reason stated. I'd be bring part cash and using your credit card to pay for the remainder. Appreciated it's a risk to be carrying cash but you would want to be shocking unlucky to get robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

As well as not being covered if lost/stolen, the credit card provider may block the transaction as it would be considered highly suspicious and potentially money laundering (I have seen it happen on numerous occasions).

Advertisement