Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router load, adsl2+ and firewall

Options
  • 10-06-2008 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    working on a small project for work, we have 22 machines, at the moment I'm just using a cisco router to handle the internet connection and from that to a switch and from the switch to the clients, no need for servers.

So with Eircom upping us to Adsl2+ to get the most out of the connection, we'll have to change the router. (current model hardware only supports adsl).
    So what I was planning to do was use a Smoothwall box to connect to the clients and use the box for most of the load, dhcp, qos, filtering etc...

Finally getting to my question, can Netopia routers handle the load (just internet requests, dhcp, firewall, etc.. disabled) for 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week? Was looking at Linksys routers too more or less acting as a modem.

Can't really go the Cisco option at the moment, still learning studying and experimenting with IOS. Also have to watch costs, so an overly expensive router isn't an option despite it being the best option.

Thanks for any info or advice.
    -Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

If your using a Smoothwall box, I'd recommend using a Cisco 877 in bridge mode - very simply to setup and cheap.

Depending on the Netopia box, check out their website for traffic load info etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

does the 877 come with a gui though? i.e. web login for configuration? as I said, my CLI knowledge is pretty limited at the moment and I wouldn't have enough knowledge to configure completely from the command line. I've also noticed that eircom are offering a "promotion" for business customers for the 877. Will give them a call and see how much they're looking for it.

Thanks JoePC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    Finally getting to my question, can Netopia routers handle the load (just internet requests, dhcp, firewall, etc.. disabled) for 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week?

Yes, easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I wouldnt rely on a netopia router for a business.

Get an 877 and use the Security Device Manager (SDM) web based tool to set it up.

Another option is to flash a linksys wrt54gl with something like dd-wrt and use that. I'm sure it can handle the load. It has built in graphs etc with the dd-wrt firmware that will show you the current load etc. Pretty cool stuff for very cheap.

thanks for the replies guys, was looking more at the 877, couldn't see if it used sdm so with your answer axer i'm leaning more towards it. I'm trying out the DD-WRT firmware on one of my own linksys today, fun :D
    Depending on how much eircom are willing to offer the 877s at a "promotional" price may go with the linksys option then.

Thanks again :)

• Advertisement

BoB_BoT wrote: »
    thanks for the replies guys, was looking more at the 877, couldn't see if it used sdm so with your answer axer i'm leaning more towards it. I'm trying out the DD-WRT firmware on one of my own linksys today, fun :D
    Depending on how much eircom are willing to offer the 877s at a "promotional" price may go with the linksys option then.

Thanks again :)
    Yes, you can use SDM with the 877.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/index.html

No real need for the GUI if your going to use a Smoothwall box for all the main services.

Here is the bridge config you'll need, copy and paste and your good to go.

version 12.4
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname CISCO877
    !
    boot-start-marker
    boot-end-marker
    !
    !
    no aaa new-model
    !
    resource policy
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    no ip routing
    no ip cef
    !
    interface ATM0
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    no atm ilmi-keepalive
    pvc 0/35
    encapsulation aal5snap
    !
    dsl operating-mode adsl2+
    bridge-group 1
    !
    interface FastEthernet0
    !
    interface FastEthernet1
    !
    interface FastEthernet2
    !
    interface FastEthernet3
    !
    interface Vlan1
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    bridge-group 1
    !
    ip classless
    !
    no ip http server
    no ip http secure-server
    !
    !
    control-plane
    !
    bridge 1 protocol ieee
    !
    line con 0
    no modem enable
    line aux 0
    line vty 0 4
    login
    !
    scheduler max-task-time 5000

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's a bit mad IMO. Doesn't using something like a Cisco 8xx effectively just as a modem seem just a tad OTT to you ? You're only using 0.01% of it's capabilities. Why not just buy a good quality ADSL2+ modem (Alcatel Speedtouch for example) and connect straight to the smoothwall instead? It'd be a whole lot cheaper for a start.

Alun wrote: »
    That's a bit mad IMO. Doesn't using something like a Cisco 8xx effectively just as a modem seem just a tad OTT to you ? You're only using 0.01% of it's capabilities. Why not just buy a good quality ADSL2+ modem (Alcatel Speedtouch for example) and connect straight to the smoothwall instead? It'd be a whole lot cheaper for a start.
    I don't think the OP has the smoothwall yet from my understanding.

OP: If you are going to use a smoothwall then I agree with Alun and just get a decent modem.

see the idea was either go cisco or to go with another modem and smoothwall as it's essentially going to do the same thing with a few more features. Wouldn't bother with the smoothwall if I went with the cisco tbh. speaking of the cisco877 anyone know how effective it's QOS / traffic shaping is?

• Advertisement

QOS on the 877 works fine, what type of traffic do you want to prioritize?

web and gaming, with heavy throttling for peer to peer and torrents. I'm still leaning towards the smoothwall because of the ability to cache stuff and filter sites.

cheers again :)

Advertisement