Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headphone Advice

Options
  • 10-06-2008 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

I'm in need of a decent pair of headphones. I'll be using them mainly for mixing. I've a budget of about E100, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Beyer Dynamic 150's.

Sennhieser H2270's are my fav's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Beyer Dynamic 150's.

Sennhieser H2270's are my fav's.

Beyer DT150s are indeed superb. They sound great and every single component is easily available as a spare.

They're our biggest seller.

Not for around the 100 mark I'm afraid though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭brow_601

i've been havin a bit of a look around thomann, some say "great for dj-ing", will i be losing out much if i were to use these for mixing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

I thought mixing on headphones was a big no-no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Beyer DT150s are indeed superb. They sound great and every single component is easily available as a spare.

They're our biggest seller.

Not for around the 100 mark I'm afraid though!

140 on thomann - not terribly far off. How much are you selling them for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

akg 240's.

159 on thomann (a bit of a stretch i know).

i like mine. they're alright for any non-mixing production related stuff.

Can't say much about the build quality though - i have royally fcuked up the stitching on one side of mine.

jimi_t wrote: »
    140 On Thomann - Not Terribly Far Off. How Much Are You Selling Them For?

130...!

TelePaul wrote: »
    I thought mixing on headphones was a big no-no?

Well it is, but OP did not state why he has to mix with headphones.... maybe he has 10 kids or something!
    130...!

Paul, how dare you....

Sell cheaper than the internet :p

Sorry my mistake 483 plus Vat .....:o

Sorry my mistake 483 plus Vat .....:o

.....per ear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭brow_601

Well it is, but OP did not state why he has to mix with headphones.... maybe he has 10 kids or something!

haha no, i'm still in college.we've about 30 computers in 1 room so we do our mixing on headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭teamdresch

I quite like Grados - SR60 or SR80 should be in and around 100.

.....per ear

That more what i was expecting.... ;)
    brow_601 wrote: »
    haha no, i'm still in college.we've about 30 computers in 1 room so we do our mixing on headphones

I see, well any of the ones mentioned so far would be good, but my suggestions would be better :D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭ogy

again a little over your price range but i have sennheiser hd25s that i like a lot. the hd-280s are around your price range and aren't bad, very comfy, but the jump in quality between the two sets is like eating a load of mars bars (or something.. right telepaul?:))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Just fork out for the Beyer Dynamics and you'll probably not have to buy another set of headphones for a decade, if ever. Worth every penny.

Savman wrote: »
    Just fork out for the Beyer Dynamics and you'll probably not have to buy another set of headphones for a decade, if ever. Worth every penny.

Agreed!

If you break anything on it , it's designed to be easily replaced, that can't be said for some of the other suggestions here, even though some do sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

My beyer dt-100 are 8 years old going strong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

Used in every studio in the states these guys are the biz

Sony Pro MDR-7506 Headphones

They are in every studio documentary post 1993, they have "studio Monitor" in large writing on the headband. Get them for $99 in New York.

I wish that the factory that makes the Sony goods for the US sent them over here... every single item of sony gear i have has a fault... Aweful builds, unless i'm cursed or something... ;)

Neurojazz wrote: »
    I wish that the factory that makes the Sony goods for the US sent them over here... every single item of sony gear i have has a fault... Aweful builds, unless i'm cursed or something... ;)

Strange one NJ - what sort of stuff. We do quite a bit of Sony into the Broadcast side and I don't believe we've ever had anything back.

If there's anything I can do to be of help to get you sorted let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

No Problems here also, Sony Professional and Sony consumer ala Peats is a different thing altogether.

Yeah it's consumer stuff, doesn't really ever help me even want to look at anything with sony on it ever... laptops, Clie, cameras, batteries - numerous items, note the use of plurals that i didn't learn first time round! - All cack.

After 3 Vaio i went to Rock and that's been stable for 2 years now.
    :)

I can understand that consumer and professional are 2 totally different spellings :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Audio-Technica ATH-M 50 are excellent as are the grados 80's

the m50s need a lot of breaking in time though to become workable.

and please dont tell me people mix on dt 100 headphones - they are sh1t for mixing on

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

teamdresch wrote: »
    I quite like Grados - SR60 or SR80 should be in and around 100.

+1

I've a set of 80s myself - best sounding headphones i've ever heard and the closest thing you'll get to nearfield monitors for mixing on. not very personal though, so there's a lot of bleed if you're going to wear them while dubbing. if you've extra cash go for the 125s or 250s, i would have but I couldnt afford them at the time.

Advertisement