Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

french diary!

Options
  • 10-06-2008 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

so wat tense do you use in the diary past or imperfect!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 darraghc

cartman444 wrote: »
    so wat tense do you use in the diary past or imperfect!?

Depends on the context of what you're writing about...

If it's a once-off occurance that happened in the past you use the PC, but if yer talking about something that happened over a continuous time you use the imperfect...it's so hard to explain :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

What are the layouts for the written expressions? eg Journal intime, lettre informal, lettre formal, et e mail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭brazilicious

and when do ya use the plus-que-parfait??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AaronCregan

The L'Imparfait is used to:

-Express emotion in the past
    -Describe weather in the past
    -Say what you used to do
    -Say what you were doing when something else happened

and when do ya use the plus-que-parfait??

Ya won't really need to, just be able to recognise it. It's used for saying you had done when already in the past tense.

• Advertisement

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Ya won't really need to, just be able to recognise it. It's used for saying you had done when already in the past tense.

aaaaah! that's terrifying! whatever happened to the good old days of je suis tu es ?? :eek:

aaaaah! that's terrifying! whatever happened to the good old days of je suis tu es ?? :eek:

I know! Sure we'll be grand! I saw your post in the other thread some dealdy phrases.. any chance ya have a few good conditonal ones?

si nous ne faisons pas quelque chose pour combattre ce problème, notre génération aura à un avenir sombre = if we dont do something to combat this problem, our generation will have a dark future

si nous ne fixons pas avec ce problème maintenant nous verrons le concequences dans l'avenir = if we do not fix this problem now we will see the consequences in the future

si nous, les gens d'aujourd'hui, ne faisons pas quelque chose, c'est nos enfants qui souffriront les conséquences= if we, the people of today do not do something, it is our children that will suffer the consequences

best i can come up with on the spot!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

si nous ne faisons pas quelque chose pour combattre ce problème, notre génération aura à un avenir sombre = if we dont do something to combat this problem, our generation will have a dark future

si nous ne fixons pas avec ce problème maintenant nous verrons le concequences dans l'avenir = if we do not fix this problem now we will see the consequences in the future

si nous, les gens d'aujourd'hui, ne faisons pas quelque chose, c'est nos enfants qui souffriront les conséquences= if we, the people of today do not do something, it is our children that will suffer the consequences

best i can come up with on the spot!:p

Hey Brazilicicious, quick question! How do you structure conditional as you have here? From what I can see it's Si + Present Tense + Future Tense. Would that be right?

Answer fast - I'm going to bed soon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

Boink08 wrote: »
    Hey Brazilicicious, quick question! How do you structure conditional as you have here? From what I can see it's Si + Present Tense + Future Tense. Would that be right?

Answer fast - I'm going to bed soon ;)
    si+present+future
    si+imperfect+conditionel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Lads, it is basically the exact same as in english.

Plusque Parfait (Pluperfect)
    If i had worked hard i would not be in such a situation
    Si j'avais travaillé dur je ne serais pas dans une telle situation.

Future Perfect
    In four months I will have started college and everything will be fine!
    en trois mois j'aurai commencé à la fac et tout sera bien!

La Passé Composé [instant action]
    Last night i started to worry
    Hier soir, j'ai commencé à paniquer

L'imparfait [continuous]
    Last night i was working hard
    Hier soir je travaillais très dur.

don't really need to know the future perfect. but oh well. bed time!

What are the condtional endings??

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Past Historic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 nyangnyang

SRFC90 wrote: »
    What are the condtional endings??

ais ais ait aions aiez aient

Advertisement