Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bringing car over from England

Options
  • 10-06-2008 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi all,

My first post - pleased to be here :)

I am buying a new facelift 911 later this year in England (currently living in England - been here for 15 years).

I am planning on moving back to Ireland late next year and setting up home. I have read the government site regarding VRT and I think I should be exempt from it. Is this correct?

Just wondering that tax is €2000 a year now?

When I come to sell the car in 3 years time or so will it be hard to sell? I was looking at 2nd hand prices and they were about the same price I am buying it new so hopefully I wont lose much in depreciation? I guess this is due to the VRT?

Thanks
    spluff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Welcome to boards:D

You will be exempt from VRT - just need to provide proof of residence in the UK. Emissions based road tax only applies to vehicles registered (in Ireland or abroad) after July 1st 2008 so you'll be taxed at the old rate - I'm not sure how this rate will increase in the future though!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

digitaldr wrote: »
    Welcome to boards:D

You will be exempt from VRT - just need to provide proof of residence in the UK. Emissions based road tax only applies to vehicles registered (in Ireland or abroad) after July 1st 2008 so you'll be taxed at the old rate - I'm not sure how this rate will increase in the future though!

He's not moving here(and registering the car) till late next year so it'll be at the new rate. He's buying new later this year.

Either way it's (only) €500 more expensive per year for the tax that it is on the current system anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Sorry that I should have said first registered!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

digitaldr wrote: »
    Emissions based road tax only applies to vehicles registered (in Ireland or abroad) after July 1st 2008 ...
    Eh...no. It is also an option for vehicles first registered from 01/01/2008.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement